Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to sign on the dotted line with SolarCity...Any advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the calculations and your User Name is very appropriate for this tread. I am not really trying to save money. Just love the idea of going solar and you are absolutely right - it is about reducing risk. From what I can tell, going with Solar City is about as risk free as possible.

My only risk is that I decide to move and can't sell the solar concept to the new buyer and then have to buy out the solar lease. That would be costly but I view this as low risk as I have lived in my home for 14 years and see no reason that I would be forced to move.

Thanks again for your response.

My only risk is that I decide to move and can't sell the solar concept to the new buyer and then have to buy out the solar lease. That would be costly but I view this as low risk as I have lived in my home for 14 years and see no reason that I would be forced to move.

This was the reason we went with the fully prepaid lease. This way, there is no qualifying for the new owners to take over the lease (assuming they would want to). We would try to recoup some of the lease price in the price of the house with the added benefit of course that the new owner would not have an electric bill (we fully covered our entire electric usage and a future model x).

We had it installed 8 months ago and are very happy with the work they did and the system has been working well so far. I want to wait until the 12 month point to see if it is producing what they said it would in the first year. The output is different enough between months that it is hard to determine the end of year number right now. Overall we love the new $13 electric bill! (connection fees).