Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A spare "battery" would make sense

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think a much more useful accessory would be a way to "siphon" charge from one car to another, a cable is light and easy, and would allow one Tesla to rescue another one who's owner didn't pay enough attention to their range numbers. I don't like the idea that "running out of gas" involves a tow when a simple mobile charge should be possible.

I think a much more useful accessory would be a way to "siphon" charge from one car to another, a cable is light and easy, and would allow one Tesla to rescue another one who's owner didn't pay enough attention to their range numbers. I don't like the idea that "running out of gas" involves a tow when a simple mobile charge should be possible.

I proposed this feature under the name of 'buddy loading'.
Belgium and the Netherlands (Dutch) - Page 1203
For non-Dutch readers: buddy loading is vehicle2vehicle connection and resembles the more often discussed vehicle2grid connection, with the advantage that buddy loading needs no DC to AC conversion (per sé).

Agree, if they could make it a simple process. Heck, if they build a protocol for it, then maybe even the AAA trucks can have the ability to quickly charge an S.

I proposed this feature under the name of 'buddy loading'.
Belgium and the Netherlands (Dutch) - Page 1203
For non-Dutch readers: buddy loading is vehicle2vehicle connection and resembles the more often discussed vehicle2grid connection, with the advantage that buddy loading needs no DC to AC conversion (per sé).

Agree, if they could make it a simple process. Heck, if they build a protocol for it, then maybe even the AAA trucks can have the ability to quickly charge an S.

In the EU the even better thing with this would be that all you need is a Mennekes Type 2 male-male cable, which most owners already have since this is a cable used with higher power public charging stations (the ones without fixed cable which are most). The "donor" Model S would have to be put in "giver mode" from the touchscreen, the receiving car wouldn't have to know/care that it's getting it's charge from another Model S - the "donor" car would just simulate being a supercharger. I guess there shouldn't be much problem "donating" at 90 or even 120 kW. The cabling is there, shouldn't matter which way the electrons are flowing. Also the battery is way better at discharging rapidly than charging rapidly. I guess the limiting factor in my example would be the standard Mennekes Type 2 cable, rated at 22kW at least for AC so I guess the plug could handle at least that on DC?

You mean like this?

Just imagine two Model Ss instead of LEAFs:

My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - ORCA Inceptive Product: Chademo Jump Start Device

ORCA Inceptive

Seriously, though, an extra, separate battery makes no sense whatsoever. Why built a second battery in the car that isn't used and adds extra weight. It makes much more sense to just increase the main battery capacity. And that's what Tesla did. They made the battery as big as reasonably possible. Elon said many times, they could make a car with a battery that goes 1000 miles but it would be very heavy and expensive that very few people would buy.
I suspect Elon likely won't mention it explicitly but using the frunk for additional batteries would impact vehicle safety as well. Part of the sales pitch for Model S safety was that the entire frunk is a crumble zone with no engine/etc. to worry about.