Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Range Test across the UK ..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't had my Roadster that long and last week was the first time I've needed to do a long journey right on the range limit of the car, as well as use any kind of public charge-up point. So I've decided to write it up for anyone that might be interested - even though this doesn’t compare to Kevin Sharpes epic UK-Geneva-UK trip going on at the same time !

The journey came about because of a friend whos Solar PV company was exhibiting at a Renewable Energy show and he asked if I would lend the car for the day to park under a prototype solar parking canopy they are developing.

So I set about planning a route intending to print off a back-up map with 32A or 70A charge points dotted along the way. Turns out I could only find 3 or 4 that were anywhere near to the intended route - which is a bit worrying.

Prior to setting off on the outward 170 mile trip I did a full range-charge, and started taking photos with my cellphone - shown sequentially below. Initially the car had 163 Est Miles, and 230 Ideal Miles in range-mode. I took a scenic cross country route, avoiding all motorways and resisted the urge to overtake anything - I merely moved with the traffic flow. As is typical with UK roads my average speed by the end of the 4 hr journey was just under 50mph, and I arrived with about 30 miles of est range left in range mode, but only 9 miles when I switched to normal-mode.

That initial trip proved to me that a Roadster really can do 180+ miles …. just so long as I avoid using warp factor 9 acceleration at every opportunity - which is damn difficult in a Roadster.

The Renewables show itself was interesting, and throughout the day a few other EV's turned up. One of the photos below shows a Leaf that pulled in for a charge, and Renault were there with a Fluence (which is dangerously close to 'effluence', but hey). If only they brought along a Zoe - that looks seriously appealing. Just as well they didn’t as my credit card might had got stretched beyond its snapping point.

The return journey had to be done at night and I didn’t fancy taking the same cross-country route back home since the headlights are a bit, well, crap, basically ! So I chose a faster / longer motorway route taking advantage of an HPC 1/3rd the way into the journey. This was located at the Castle Hotel, Taunton, and must be the most remote HPC anywhere in England. After that top up I knew I had to make the remaining 143 miles with little chance of finding any other charge points so late at night, with the last 60 miles of the journey being cross-country.

I managed to get back home with just 5 miles range showing in normal mode, and 23 est miles left in max-range mode. The car was plugged straight in on standard charge, and the subsequent charge log showed that somehow 65kwh (yup, 65) of energy was used to charge it. ( Perhaps additional energy was used heating/cooling. Can anyone comment if this is to be expected ? )

The trip meter showed that the entire journey was 367 miles. The cost of the electricity used worked out at about £ 5.80 (night time rates) which is a whopping £140 less than my ICE car would have cost for the same trip…

001Priortosettingoff.jpg

002Solarcanopyprototype.jpg

003TeslaandFluenceoncharge.jpg

004LeafTeslaandFluenceattheRegenSHowalloncharge.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

0010.jpg

Took me a moment to work out your plate - I take it FR33 PWR had gone?

Given the limitations of the UK number plate system there's little choice for a suitable plate without paying a fortune for a non-age related plate. I do have other cherished numbers on retention, but wanted to put something on the Tesla that was semi-relevant to it and the fact it can be charged effectively for free from sunlight, to make the anti-EV electricity-from-coal numpty's something to think about, although it might be to subtle for some of them..

FR55 PWR cost a mere £150, FR33 PWR has never been issued, and many other plate ideas were off the scale price wise, such as VOL74GE, 4MPS, 500 4MPS, 375 VDC, 53KWH, SOL4R, WTF1 etc !

Also, I believe I briefly met your brother at The Castle - he just happened to be sat in a blue BMW munching a sandwich ! The HPC seemed to charge the car ok, but it appeared to have a problem in that the 'Ready' light remained on throughout but the 'Charging' light would not come on under charging conditions. I've not used one before, so not sure what it should be doing.

That would be him...

Yes there has always been a faulty light on that HPC but the unit still works, as you found out. I mentioned it to Tesla a year ago, maybe they will rectify it when in the area. I should put a label on there to reassure people.

As for remotest in England... I know Taunton is bleak but you want to see the one at Tebay Services.

Thanks for taking the time to share that, I found it very interesting... and hey, great colour you picked there :cool:

Thanks !

Every time I wash the car I cant help but take photos in bright sunlight so as to bring out the weird metallic blue and purple tint on the car. In overcast conditions its nowhere near as interesting to look at.

The photos below were taken with a Sony Ericsson Experia Arc mobile with a razor sharp 8mp res. I know the camera slightly increases saturation and contrast to make images stand out, but in bright sunlight this is pretty much what it looks like :-

Stonewall5.jpg

stonewall4.jpg

Last edited:
It has a switch with a padlock. You need to ask in the petrol station kiosk for the key, and I think hand over ten notes.

While the services is the best in the country IMHO, the hotel at the back has an even better bar and restaurant.

Are you stopping at Birminham (Moat House) on the way up?

Well I will be going close past. I was actually just going to top-up on ecotricity points and save the boot space thinking I would need the UMC for there. I remember you telling me about it being wired to the wrong supply and someone needed to go and try it so it broke? (or did I get the wrong end of the stick?) .... I have to say it didn't sound very enticing, but I could do that... let me know whats needed.

I didn't realise it was the moat house. I emailed them asking them about what charging they had.. I should post the replies really they're quite amusing.. After a few exchanges I eventually got word from the maintenance man that there is a "Tessler 32A DC supply" there. :confused:

Please do post them! (Ok maybe PM me)

The Moat House HPC is on a 32A supply. You will be fine if you set the car to 32A - there is also a blue 32A UMC-style outlet there too (as a backup). I think they need to see it in use to get the 70A issue resolved, if you could please. Perhaps tell the manager face-to-face that you want to use it regularly...

It's a nicer place to wait than a Welcome Break, too.

What will happen if I don't limit it to 32A? I dont want to empty their restaurant or something :eek:

Ok I'll pay them a visit on Wednesday then. I don't want to take the UMC but theres another ecotricity a few miles up at Keele if all fails.

I don't want to take the UMC but theres another ecotricity a few miles up at Keele if all fails.
The site has 13A and 32A ZCW Charging Stations as well as the HPC. However, all three are on the same power feed so I suspect that you'll pop the breaker on them all if you try and charge at 60A on the HPC :smile:

It would really help if you visit and tell them that you NEED 60A charging... they have various locations on site that can support it and just need to move the HPC.