Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A/C - Why is it always on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've searched for an answer, and it eludes me. Every time I go to my MS and the fan is turned on, the A/C compressor is also turned on? Why can't it work like every other car out there? When I push the A/C button, the A/C turns on. If I turn it off, it stays off. Simple.

Yes, I've done all the usual stuff: Easy Entry saved with A/C off, no preconditioning, turned off A/C before leaving car, etc.. No matter what I do in the settings, when I go back in, the A/C is automatically back on. This is true for BOTH my 2023 MS and 2017 MS. It also happens in the summer, winter, in my enclosed garage, outside...whatever. It just so happens that today it's cold (not freezing) outside and I have the heater, seat warmers, and steering wheel warmers all on. Sure enough, the A/C turns on when I enter the car! :mad:

It's like the Tesla just insists on turning the compressor on as the default no matter what I do. Very frustrating...

Any advice? Or is this one of those quirks we learn to live with?

Even with the AC on, the compressor won't be on all the time. It will turn on in winter when the humidity is high in the car. I think you just need to live with it, as that is the way Elon made it. I do find it nice that in other cars, if you turn off the AC while the car is in Auto mode, the car stays in Auto mode, but just won't use the compressor, and it stays that way until your manually turn it in again, or press Auto. Of course, the AC may be on in the summer or winter when supercharging or otherwise when the batteries or drivetrain need cooling. It just may not cool the cabin.

I believe it's like a dehumidifier function, I've noticed same on my car, 2016 MX
Btw other manufacturers do it too, my bmw does same thing

It's actually very annoying in cold rainy weather, cause ac on for few min will create a lot of moisture in evaporator then when it turns off my windows fog up but AC won't come on again cause it's too cold outside...

I've had ICE cars all my life and still have one now. I have never had one automatically turn the compressor on after I manually and deliberately turned it off. I don't know about the newest models out there (as you mentioned), but I doubt any of them prioritize turning the compressor on at every opportunity like Tesla does. And FYI - It is not about the power it takes. The compressor creates an annoying hum and vibration in the car and, most importantly, it is another very expensive item that will need to be replaced sooner due to the unnecessary wear and tear. If it needs it for battery management, so be it. But make that happen in the background for the battery, not for the cabin. If I have it off, leave it off!!

Reactions: DerbyDave