Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A/C issues with heatwave in Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep in mind that the Solar Guard windshield is to protect against UV radiation - which will deteriorate the interior and causes sunburns. It does nothing to reduce infrared radiation, which produces the heat. Here is a link to a video about the ceramic window film. Although it mentions one product, other manufacturers make equivalent films. Just search for "ceramic window film".

Ceramic Window Film Video

Keep in mind that the Solar Guard windshield is to protect against UV radiation - which will deteriorate the interior and causes sunburns. It does nothing to reduce infrared radiation, which produces the heat.
Your comments are not compatible with Tesla Motors' description of the Solar Guard Windshield:
The Solar Guard Windshield blocks infrared rays reducing cabin temperature.
Apparently, you have it backwards. Solar Guard does not block UV and will not prevent sunburns or deterioration of the interior. All it does is keep the sun from heating up the inside (except for sunlight than comes in through the sides or rear).

I stand by my original statement since when Tesla sold me the Solar Guard I was shown its description as Solar Guard UV protection, but I see where now it is promoted as blocking infrared rays. Interesting. However, it does not do a good job of reducing cabin temperature - and that is from my experience driving the Roadster daily in the Sonoran Desert of Phoenix, Arizona

I stand by my original statement since when Tesla sold me the Solar Guard I was shown its description as Solar Guard UV protection, but I see where now it is promoted as blocking infrared rays. Interesting. However, it does not do a good job of reducing cabin temperature - and that is from my experience driving the Roadster daily in the Sonoran Desert of Phoenix, Arizona
No offense, but with Tesla Motors the story seems to change over time. You basically have to get everything in writing and keep a file with all of your Roadster records. I, too, remember certain features and options being described differently since I first started paying attention to the Roadster in 2007. It doesn't help that many of the sales staff at Tesla Motors are not fully trained on the technical capabilities of every feature and option - they often make impossible promises.

Which %age of light transmission did you use? Pics?
5% on the rear and 35% on the sides. The sides are perfect but I should have gone slightly lighter on the rear. With the top off I get some reflection in the rear view mirror - it acts like the rear view is in "dimmer" mode so it's a bit difficult to pick out the real image. Pics attached.

Attachments

• DSC03461.JPG
    DSC03461.JPG
    795.4 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC03462.JPG
    DSC03462.JPG
    908.3 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC03463.JPG
    DSC03463.JPG
    815.9 KB · Views: 140
Keep in mind that the Solar Guard windshield is to protect against UV radiation - which will deteriorate the interior and causes sunburns. It does nothing to reduce infrared radiation, which produces the heat. Here is a link to a video about the ceramic window film. Although it mentions one product, other manufacturers make equivalent films. Just search for "ceramic window film".

I've been researching window films. In the process I checked in on the solar guard option I purchased (but can't tell if I actually have). Here is the Solar Guard Website. They say:

Since Solar Gard blocks up to 99 percent of damaging ultraviolet light and rejects as much as 66 percent of uncomfortable solar heat

Most of the films out there boast 40-50% thermal rejection, so 66% thermal rejection would be the best out there, so I'm not sure that's what they mean. I am currently considering V-Kool. Any thoughts?

Huber optik was popular at one time. Now there are many companies that make ceramic tint.

The supposed benefit is that it rejects more heat and is optically more clear.
Hper Optik - Nano Ceramic Window Films - Consumer Room - Automotive

I have ceramic tint on all my cars. At one place they had a demo with a heat lamp and a standard tint on one side of glass and ceramic on the other. Placing your hand under the glass, you could feel a HUGE difference on heat transmitted.

My installer doesn't use Huber, apparently there are better films out there...including a new one that is clear (no tint) but ceramic (to block heat)