Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Routeplanner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is it that when I select a location from the drop down list I get "No route available". Yet another location, also from the drop down, maybe 1 mile away, it has no problem to determine the route?

Very hard to determine - could be a bug. And, hmm, with no route found you can not share the link to the plan with me... But how about you "Get link" to the plan that works and tell me what you change to make it fail?

I do have a question: It sometimes suggests very short stops like 56% to 61% in just three minutes. However, when I go to a restroom or buy a coffee I need maybe 10 minutes or so, with little kids even more. Is there an option to set a minimum charge time? You will then reach the next stop with more charge (or drive faster) which can result in a shorter next stop and therefore more evenly distributed charging times along the trip.

In instances where the amount scheduled to charge is less than your charger arrival level, I generally just make the decision if I want to go below my charger arrival charge at the next supercharger or if I want to stop at this supercharger and charge longer than planned.

As an example, I set my charger arrival charge to 10%, and the plan calls for me to stop at supercharger "A" with 56% and charge to 60%. That's only a 4% increase, so if I were to skip that supercharger and continue on to Supercharger "B", I would arrive there with 6% charge instead of 10%. I'll look at my driving pattern, history, winds, traffic, etc. If I've been consistently using less than the planned charge amount, I'll skip supercharger "A" and proceed to supercharger "B". If I've been consistently using more than the planned charge amount, then I'll stop at supercharger "A" and charge as much as I can while I do whatever I need to do (restroom, lunch, etc.), and that will cut down the charge time at supercharger "B".

Reactions: blincoln
Very hard to determine - could be a bug. And, hmm, with no route found you can not share the link to the plan with me... But how about you "Get link" to the plan that works and tell me what you change to make it fail?
Try entering the Fresno (CA) supercharger as FROM and "John Muir Lodge - Kings Canyon, Fresno County, CA, United States" as the TO (No Route). Then try a nearby location for the TO, "General Grant Grove, Fresno County, CA, United States" (Finds the route).

Yeah, I agree, too short stops are not really happening in practice. I could add another parameter for this, but I am trying to keep the number of parameters as small as possible, so I will likely not add this one.

Why? When I drive long trips with ABRP, the plans are never exact anyway. I drive faster or slower than the plan, or just consume more or less than planned. Not seldomly I charge a bit more than the plan states at SuCs just because the last kid is not done at the bathroom in time anyway. And so on - in practice, I assume that after each charging stop, a quick update of the plan is necessary anyway.

In instances where the amount scheduled to charge is less than your charger arrival level, I generally just make the decision if I want to go below my charger arrival charge at the next supercharger or if I want to stop at this supercharger and charge longer than planned.

As an example, I set my charger arrival charge to 10%, and the plan calls for me to stop at supercharger "A" with 56% and charge to 60%. That's only a 4% increase, so if I were to skip that supercharger and continue on to Supercharger "B", I would arrive there with 6% charge instead of 10%. I'll look at my driving pattern, history, winds, traffic, etc. If I've been consistently using less than the planned charge amount, I'll skip supercharger "A" and proceed to supercharger "B". If I've been consistently using more than the planned charge amount, then I'll stop at supercharger "A" and charge as much as I can while I do whatever I need to do (restroom, lunch, etc.), and that will cut down the charge time at supercharger "B".

I see what you guys mean and maybe in real world driving this isn't a big deal at all. Sadly, I can't try because I'm waiting for my Model 3. However, I use the planner to see how my trips will look like for the standard and long range version which helps to decide what I need/want.

Is there an option to set a minimum charge time?

I'd like to be able to set charge-time too, but per-visit rather than minimum. With chargers not uniformly spaced I may want to charge less at the first and more at the second, or vice versa. That may depend on meal time, but also if second site is few-stalls I may charge more at the one where I am more likely to find a stall and have the option of using a non-supercharging location at the second. All sorts of other variations like that occur to me in planning too - may just be me "trying this" and "trying that" ...

Would it be possible to drag the route on the map like Google has and then it would update the planned route? A lot of times the route planned by the app is not always the best & the work around is to add way-points. This is hard if driving & you need to work around construction, an accident, etc.

Route updates via by dragging the route on the map sounded just a too fun challenge not to try out.

So, now in ABRP 2.4, you can add and modify waypoints using the mouse and dragging. This will not work in the car given the browser performance, but any year now :)

Try entering the Fresno (CA) supercharger as FROM and "John Muir Lodge - Kings Canyon, Fresno County, CA, United States" as the TO (No Route). Then try a nearby location for the TO, "General Grant Grove, Fresno County, CA, United States" (Finds the route).

I found (and fixed) a bug which may have solved the issue. When trying out your route now, it works for me.

Edit: No it doesn't. But now I can at least reproduce it ;)

Edit 2: Ahh, the "Goal arrival charge" was set to 62% in your searches. Not possible to get to the John Muir Lodge with that much charge left... :) Set down to 10% it works.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viking1
Edit 2: Ahh, the "Goal arrival charge" was set to 62% in your searches. Not possible to get to the John Muir Lodge with that much charge left... :) Set down to 10% it works.
Thanks.

That brings up a request. At the Lodge only level 1 charging is available. That is why I set the Fresno SC to 100% to get up there at the highest charge. I may not know how best to use the program to determine the highest level destination charge given a multi-segment trip. It would be cool if there was a checkbox to indicate Highest possible charge level at destination (perhaps a checkbox next to the Goal Arrival Charge?). What I did was iterate the levels to back into the 62%. I guess some factor changed such that 62% worked at one time, but not another.

Last edited:
Route updates via by dragging the route on the map sounded just a too fun challenge not to try out.

So, now in ABRP 2.4, you can add and modify waypoints using the mouse and dragging. This will not work in the car given the browser performance, but any year now :)
I tried using the new 'drag' feature but it doesn't work as I would expect. If I plan a route and then try to drag to a different route, it changes the route to detour to the new waypoint but then routes back up to the next Supercharger. I would expect that when I drag to a new route, it should recalculate which Superchargers should be used.

For example: A couple of weeks ago, I went to Kearney, NE for the total eclipse. For the return trip, I planned on taking I-80 and I-76 back but if I'd seen traffic was bad on those roads I would've detoured down to I-70 instead. I tried dragging the route between Ogallala and Kearney down to I-70 and it routes back up to the Supercharger in Ogallala instead of using Goodland, KS and rerouting to Limon, CO and then on to my final destination.
abrp.PNG

If I drag to reroute in Google Maps, it correctly reroutes to I-70:
abrp2.PNG

I tried using the new 'drag' feature but it doesn't work as I would expect. If I plan a route and then try to drag to a different route, it changes the route to detour to the new waypoint but then routes back up to the next Supercharger. I would expect that when I drag to a new route, it should recalculate which Superchargers should be used.

For example: A couple of weeks ago, I went to Kearney, NE for the total eclipse. For the return trip, I planned on taking I-80 and I-76 back but if I'd seen traffic was bad on those roads I would've detoured down to I-70 instead. I tried dragging the route between Ogallala and Kearney down to I-70 and it routes back up to the Supercharger in Ogallala instead of using Goodland, KS and rerouting to Limon, CO and then on to my final destination.
View attachment 246316
If I drag to reroute in Google Maps, it correctly reroutes to I-70:
View attachment 246318

Sorry, this is a feature. Routing without charging is really fast, so the gray lines shown in kind-of-realtime are just an indication (therefore gray). In the plan window you will see the new waypoint and an urge to press Plan again.

But perhaps this is better if done automatically even if it is slow?

Edit: My thinking with the feature was to enable route corrections, mostly on a small scale. Waiting for a full replan for some long routes for every modification would be tedious...

Last edited:
Reactions: David99
Sorry, this is a feature. Routing without charging is really fast, so the gray lines shown in kind-of-realtime are just an indication (therefore gray). In the plan window you will see the new waypoint and an urge to press Plan again.

But perhaps this is better if done automatically even if it is slow?

Edit: My thinking with the feature was to enable route corrections, mostly on a small scale. Waiting for a full replan for some long routes for every modification would be tedious...

Update: The full route is now replanned on drag if the previous routing time was short enough to make it bearable (10 seconds). Otherwise gray temporary route lines are shown until you manually replan.

Not sure if I am using the planner wrong.
When I plan a route from Cricceth (North Wales) to Rugby (UK), BRP shows a time of around 2h26.

A Better Routeplanner

Google maps does the same route in about 3h30 or so. This is much closer to what is expect.

I suspect that BRP isn't taking into account the really slow roads around Wales?

Not sure if I am using the planner wrong.
When I plan a route from Cricceth (North Wales) to Rugby (UK), BRP shows a time of around 2h26.

A Better Routeplanner

Google maps does the same route in about 3h30 or so. This is much closer to what is expect.

I suspect that BRP isn't taking into account the really slow roads around Wales?

With a reference speed of 100%, ABRP plans for driving exactly at the speed limits. Why are the roads in Wales slower - is it due to winding roads where you cannot drive at the speed limit or due to typical traffic?