Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Routeplanner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully useful from the tesla.com forum
___
Ok. I have some data. I drove 440 miles, all but 25 miles on highway, with a Thule roof rack with three pairs of skis and a snowboard. The temperature were within a few degrees either side of freezing the entire time. The car used 420 Wh per mile for the trip. When I’ve done the same trip without the roof rack it has used around 355 Wh per mile, so the penalty is about 20%. I noticed that you must take this into account in your trip planning and your supercharging stops because the car navigation system doesn’t, at least at first.

One other very interesting data point: for about 90 miles on that trip the speed limit is 70 MPH rather than 60. When you increase the speed from 65 MPH to 75 MPH the power consumption goes up from around 420 Wh to 485 Wh(!). That’s a 15% power penalty for another 10 MPH.
———

Hopefully useful from the tesla.com forum
___
Ok. I have some data. I drove 440 miles, all but 25 miles on highway, with a Thule roof rack with three pairs of skis and a snowboard. The temperature were within a few degrees either side of freezing the entire time. The car used 420 Wh per mile for the trip. When I’ve done the same trip without the roof rack it has used around 355 Wh per mile, so the penalty is about 20%. I noticed that you must take this into account in your trip planning and your supercharging stops because the car navigation system doesn’t, at least at first.

One other very interesting data point: for about 90 miles on that trip the speed limit is 70 MPH rather than 60. When you increase the speed from 65 MPH to 75 MPH the power consumption goes up from around 420 Wh to 485 Wh(!). That’s a 15% power penalty for another 10 MPH.
———
Thanks. I have driven with a Ski Box on the roof racks and that also seems to add about 20%. More aerodynamic than naked skis, but also bigger.

Tesla browser issue is back - no lines or markers are visible on map.

Google has retired the working version of Maps, and has marked the issue Sign in - Google Accounts as won't fix.

Feel free to inform Google and/or Tesla that this needs some attention :rolleyes:
It seems more likely to get Tesla to do something about this than Google. What should we be asking Tesla to do - update to a newer version of WebKit?

I was getting that a while ago with complex routes. I didn’t have time to figure out what exactly it was and I haven’t really planned any trips since then. Perhaps tomorrow I’ll play around with a few routes and see if I can replicate the problem.

I apologize for all the ABRP trouble this week. It turned out my backend server had a faulty RAM module which randomly changed the contents of the memory, causing random crashes and strange behavior. On top of that, the main SSD of the server started failing, so it took me some time to figure everything out and replace the broken hardware.

Hopefully things should be running smoothly and stable from now on!

(And I can finally spend some time on fixing the broken Google Maps markers and overlays in the Tesla browser...)

I apologize for all the ABRP trouble this week. It turned out my backend server had a faulty RAM module which randomly changed the contents of the memory, causing random crashes and strange behavior. On top of that, the main SSD of the server started failing, so it took me some time to figure everything out and replace the broken hardware.

Hopefully things should be running smoothly and stable from now on!

(And I can finally spend some time on fixing the broken Google Maps markers and overlays in the Tesla browser...)
Holy crap, it's smokin' fast now! Well done, sir!

1,000,000 routes planned!

Thank you all ABRP users for making it possible and planning over one million routes in 18 months! ABRP would not be anything without all proposals, bug reports, data, ideas and enthusiasm from you.

Some more numbers from today:
  • 80,000 users
  • 3,000 Tesla vehicles have used ABRP in car browser
  • 400 Tesla vehicles are sharing data with MyTesla logged in since November
  • 200,000 km (125,000 miles) of driving while sharing data (and ABRP active)
  • 30,000 kWh charged while sharing data (and ABRP active)
  • 3,600 CPU hours used for planning
Edit: And, not the least, thank you all 240 donors for your generous contributions to pay for the running costs of the site!

Last edited: