Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$961 bucks to replace bushings on rear suspension upper control links?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm telling ya, get the dang extended agreement! You WILL BE SORRY YOU DID NOT!!!!!

And to add to the thread, My ball joints were replaced at about 53,000 miles. $200 Extended warranty deductible down the drain. Excessive wear too :(

Well, at the time I ordered the car, the extended warranty was only $2500 I think. So even if I do fork out this grand plus the $200 for sensors, I'd still be way ahead of the game as long as nothing else major happens in the next 6 months (~25k miles).

Don't you still have 30 days from that point on to still choose the extended warranty?

I think so...
But I really, really, really, REALLY, don't want to have to purchase the extended warranty. $4,000 is a bit much for 50K of early life miles. The car should be in the more favorable part of the bath tub failure curve right now (design defects aside *cough* Drive unit * cough*). It kills me that I am even considering it. I would rather put the $4,000 into aftermarket upgrades, such as lengthened upper control links (to make my tires last longer) and such. $200 to change a ball joint...really? I can't wait until more off the shelf parts are readily available. I see Rock Auto is selling replacement HID bulbs and ballasts now... It's a start...

Well according to the description they are High Intensity Discharge (HID) Xeon bulbs (they also sell the non-HID halogen bulbs of which my car is not equipped, islandbay's car has them) and Xeon ballasts. That looks like a direct replacement for what I have in the car. It's one of those silly things that you just have to expect to replace before 100K miles. I am assuming that the info is correct and that it's the same bulb type for high and low beam.
HID Xeon Bulb.jpg

I think so...
But I really, really, really, REALLY, don't want to have to purchase the extended warranty. $4,000 is a bit much for 50K of early life miles. The car should be in the more favorable part of the bath tub failure curve right now (design defects aside *cough* Drive unit * cough*). It kills me that I am even considering it. I would rather put the $4,000 into aftermarket upgrades, such as lengthened upper control links (to make my tires last longer) and such. $200 to change a ball joint...really? I can't wait until more off the shelf parts are readily available. I see Rock Auto is selling replacement HID bulbs and ballasts now... It's a start...

im racking up more issues in the after 50k

- - - Updated - - -

Well according to the description they are High Intensity Discharge (HID) Xeon bulbs (they also sell the non-HID halogen bulbs of which my car is not equipped, islandbay's car has them) and Xeon ballasts. That looks like a direct replacement for what I have in the car. It's one of those silly things that you just have to expect to replace before 100K miles. I am assuming that the info is correct and that it's the same bulb type for high and low beam.
View attachment 87290
ive had both haogens go out sub 50k. replacing bulbs is a nightmare on tis car

im racking up more issues in the after 50k

- - - Updated - - -

ive had both haogens go out sub 50k. replacing bulbs is a nightmare on tis car

I know, I have been following your issues with your car... not very encouraging. Not including drive unit issues, the first 50K on my car would not equal $4,000 worth or repairs. I can tolerate cosmetic issues, squeeks and rattles, and some basic wear parts. I can't tolerate major repair problems, especially the fix-break-fix-break-repeat kind. This extended warranty is a very hard decision for me... I generally consider them a waste of money. If the car really can't go 50K without over $4K in repairs, then I am in trouble... If my car was seeing the issues that you have been running into, I would probably just take a bath and trade or sell. My car really has been pretty good to me. I dunno, I am still debating it with myself. I have sort of committed myself to be on the non-extended warranty side of the experiment. This whole Model S buying thing has been one big experiment.

As far as light bulbs go, it looks like a PIA to change, but so was my last car (as are most cars these days). But I am not going to pay $1,000 to have someone change a $70 bulb. Time to start learning how to take this car apart...and hopefully put it back together.

Reactions: ElectroFroggy
I know, I have been following your issues with your car... not very encouraging. Not including drive unit issues, the first 50K on my car would not equal $4,000 worth or repairs. I can tolerate cosmetic issues, squeeks and rattles, and some basic wear parts. I can't tolerate major repair problems, especially the fix-break-fix-break-repeat kind. This extended warranty is a very hard decision for me... I generally consider them a waste of money. If the car really can't go 50K without over $4K in repairs, then I am in trouble... If my car was seeing the issues that you have been running into, I would probably just take a bath and trade or sell. My car really has been pretty good to me. I dunno, I am still debating it with myself. I have sort of committed myself to be on the non-extended warranty side of the experiment. This whole Model S buying thing has been one big experiment.

As far as light bulbs go, it looks like a PIA to change, but so was my last car (as are most cars these days). But I am not going to pay $1,000 to have someone change a $70 bulb. Time to start learning how to take this car apart...and hopefully put it back together.

If you drive like 50k a year like me, not worth it. Chances of stuff breaking in less than a year or two is low. If you don't plan on driving more than 12k a year, probably worth it.

lol funny but sad now I'm in my 4th drive unit. This new one didn't even get off their lot haha. The one they just installed today also has the milling noise so they didn't even release the car back to me. Tomorrow they have to ship in another drive unit and replace it again. Sucks for them. Lots of work to do these.

The extended warranty is more than double the cost of other manufacturers that have the same mileage/duration but with a $0 deductible. Having a sky high deductible usually drops the cost considerably. The tesla extended warranty is twice as much *AND* has a high deductible per incident. Not very good statement of confidence by Tesla.

I'm astonished at the mileage the OP's getting out of the tires. My 2013 S85 got 21K on the factory-installed 19" Michelin Primacys. I'd hoped for a lot more.

And no I don't drive it like I stole it; nowhere near being a hypermiler, but I'm a maniac for regen and minimal energy use, and monitoring all that stuff regularly is both (pathetically, I guess, but..) endlessly entertaining to me and maybe a tad beneficial to the planet.

I would describe my driving style in a similar way, but obviously we are not driving the same way as I got 53k out of my original tires.

update: the warnings I got this morning was those stuck contactors (as others have had...). they have the battery pack apart and are replacing the contactor parts under the battery warranty.

regarding the price of the bushings, they said the upper control arm links and bushing are all one part. its around $450 for them parts and about $500 for labor. I opted not to replace them...
How exactly do they get $500 for labor, when the rear subframe is already out because of the DU replacement?