Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8/3 - Indy to Normal SC lunch trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will not be able to attend due to a memorial service scheduled for a family member on Saturday. I was really looking forward to meeting everyone and do a DC fast charge for the first time. I had a great weekend planned around the trip to Normal. After Normal it was to be a night in St.Louis before getting back to normal (home that is).

Have a great time and enjoy. I'll be looking forward to comments and I hope photos of the event.

Sorry to hear from those who can't or may not be able to make it this time. Will have to try to schedule another meetup/road-trip date.

Looks like we'll have 7-8 Model S's and ~16 people in attendance this weekend -- looking forward to it!

Had a blast - was great to meet everyone and put faces/names to the TMC handles. Best of luck Al on your last leg home, finishing out ~250 miles from a Supercharger range charge back home, sure it will be smooth sailing... and thanks for letting me do a 350mi test drive today! :cool:

Ryan

image.jpg
Great trip today! Thanks everyone -- really enjoyed meeting all of you and having lunch together!

As some of you know, the city claimed that tesla was ok with an ICE parking there. So I decided to CC George into it. Hopefully he helps out with this.
To clarify, spots 2A and 2B still had the Tesla Supercharging Only signs in place, but spots 1A and 1B did not. Spot 1A was ICEd by two different vehicles (one before lunch and another after). If you don't know that the Model S charges by backing in and plugging in on the left side, since the signs were missing the average person would probably not think that this last Supercharger spot is for EVs.

Christian contacted the city, and they replied via email that two spots were "dedicated" for EVs but two others were "shared use" i.e. finders keepers, I guess. (Clprenz please correct me if I misunderstood or am wrong here...) Not sure if Tesla knows about this, hence Christian and others following up on the Tesla side.

Had a blast - was great to meet everyone and put faces/names to the TMC handles. Best of luck Al on your last leg home, finishing out ~250 miles from a Supercharger range charge back home, sure it will be smooth sailing... and thanks for letting me do a 350mi test drive today! :cool:
Ryan

Agree totally. What a great day. I learned a lot and enjoyed meeting TMC folks. Thanks to Kenneth for getting the ball rolling. You're most welcome for the test drive. 350miles might be a record. You were great company and I was more than happy to be chauffeured around! I made it home with 17 rated miles left.:smile:

The setup:
Full Shot.JPG

rabar10. One of the REALLY smart TMC guys. He knows how this stuff actually works!
Rabar10.JPG

Blue (mine) and Red (bluefuego's) hanging together patiently awaiting their turn.
Plates.JPG

That's trouble!(bluefuego and LizG)
LizG and Bluefuego.JPG

Me. Proving you can be a dummy and still use a Supercharger.
Me and Shane.JPG

To clarify, spots 2A and 2B still had the Tesla Supercharging Only signs in place, but spots 1A and 1B did not. Spot 1A was ICEd by two different vehicles (one before lunch and another after). If you don't know that the Model S charges by backing in and plugging in on the left side, since the signs were missing the average person would probably not think that this last Supercharger spot is for EVs.

Christian contacted the city, and they replied via email that two spots were "dedicated" for EVs but two others were "shared use" i.e. finders keepers, I guess. (Clprenz please correct me if I misunderstood or am wrong here...) Not sure if Tesla knows about this, hence Christian and others following up on the Tesla side.

Christian did you get any add'l feedback or info on this, from either Tesla or the city?

Seems odd that Tesla would agree to install a (rare for now, and more expensive than simple EVSE) Supercharger where all of the needed charging spots are not reserved for its use. Leads me to think something changed post-install...

If might be good for some of the owners that attended this SC lunch trip to follow up with their Tesla reps as well. We can't blame people for ICEing the spot if there is no signage for it...

Note the two SC spots on the far left have sign-posts, but the signage has been removed.

Appears to me that the signage that's there doesn't explicitly prohibit ICEing (except for overnight).
George B. said he would look into it, and Matt from the St. Louis store took photos and stuff. I stopped by yesterday, same. I don't want to bother the city again since I am trying to get on the EVTown board... Then I will make sure the towns priorities are set right.

You would think that all the spots would be labeled "Tesla Supercharing Station", and then the reserved ones would additionally say "No Parking Except for EV Charging". Poorly worded signage is a recurring issue.

Who knows, someone may have stolen the signs as souvenirs. That was a high school pastime for a number of my friends.

Pics from the Indiana SC trip have been posted on the evtown facebook page. Search facebook for evtown. I plan on using the SC tonight and will check on signage and ICE use. It would be nice if the city would paint the spaces green like the Soldier Field garage and other charging areas.

Went thru Normal this weekend. Still no signage on SuperCharger stations 1a and 1b. Did speak with the attendant for the parking garage. He said they are working on setting up what ever it is they need so that the attendants in the Lobby (where they do the bus tickets) will be able to validate Tesla owners parking tickets when City Hall is closed. He did not have a time frame for this other than "soon". But at least we know it is coming.