Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60K Maintenance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At 67K I had the calipers cleaned and lubricated. They were in good shape, and I'm not sure it was necessary. I also bought test strips and a device for checking brake fluid, and it was fine.

I had the brakes checked at 80K KM (About 50K miles) since I noticed the front rotors were always really rusty. Braking seemed ok mind you.

Tesla sent this "The technician is recommending to replace the front pads and rotors due to the condition they are in. Your rotors are rotted and we would not be able to save the pads as they have wore to the grooves and imperfections of the rotted rotors".

I asked him what caused this issue and he stated that due to the fact an EV rarely uses the friction brakes "We recommend you service your brakes every 20000 km".

Note that I am in a winter salt area.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I had the brakes checked at 80K KM (About 50K miles) since I noticed the front rotors were always really rusty. Braking seemed ok mind you.

Tesla sent this "The technician is recommending to replace the front pads and rotors due to the condition they are in. Your rotors are rotted and we would not be able to save the pads as they have wore to the grooves and imperfections of the rotted rotors".

I asked him what caused this issue and he stated that due to the fact an EV rarely uses the friction brakes "We recommend you service your brakes every 20000 km".

Note that I am in a winter salt area.
Pads are disposable, but rotors should last several pad lifetimes. Anyhow, I run the Service Mode brake service every once in a while. And, I try to run low regen once a week on Sunday just to give my pads and rotors some work to do.