Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60K Maintenance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2019 Model 3 has past the 60K miles. Just wondering if there is any maintenance recommended? I saw a video recommending changing the Gear Oil in the drive unit. And was told tesla used to have it in the manual to do so every 30k mile, but I don't see that in the manual. There is very little detail about the filter and oil required for it...or how to do it.

I've yet to see any evidence favoring changing the gear oil in an EV. Some folks insist on doing it because they've always done it- kind of like folks who still change oil every 3k in ICE vehicles despite modern MFG and modern lubricants meaning they're literally pouring money down a drain doing that.

My 2019 Model 3 has past the 60K miles. Just wondering if there is any maintenance recommended? I saw a video recommending changing the Gear Oil in the drive unit. And was told tesla used to have it in the manual to do so every 30k mile, but I don't see that in the manual. There is very little detail about the filter and oil required for it...or how to do it.
Tesla has never had a recommendation for changing the gear oil in Model 3.

In older Model S/X, they used to recommend changing it just once at 100k miles. The older Model S/Y did not have a filter like the newer ones and all Model 3/Y have.

I just surpassed 61k on my 21 3LR AWD (Date of Manufacture 9-21). As posted above, there isn't any "60k maintenance" required. I am on my second set of tires with 31k on them and 7/32 wear remaining (Conti Extreme Contact DWS6), second set of wiper blades (picked up a set of Bosch blades from Amazon for less then Tesla sells them for), second cabin air filter and many gallons of wiper fluid. I rotate my tires every 6k miles and all the tires are wearing evenly now that I had Tesla align my front wheels at 30k miles. I have the larger 82kwh battery pack and when I charged up to 100% on Monday for a road trip the guess-o-meter said I had 341 miles of range (EPA range was 353 new). It is still fun to drive, though a bit cramped for me (6'4" 250lbs) on longer road trips.

I just turned 95,000 miles on my 2018 M3P and requested service to have the oil and filters changed on the car's gearboxes, but the Service Center replied with "not necessary - the car will tell you when the oil needs to be serviced" so I canceled my request. Since I tend to keep my vehicles a long time, I figured it would be good preventive maintenance to have done, but the Service Center techs talked me out of it.

Reactions: chumanji9