Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4/3 MC Cable for the Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I am planning to install the Tesla home charger and to get max output thinking of using 4/3 MC without conduit. Is it OK to use the cable from the below link?
I am planning to run from unfinished basement to the garage(50 feet), so there will be a place(~10 feet), where it will run between the insulation and Drywall. Do i need a conduit?

Thanks,
rg

You can run MC cable exposed and without conduit. But you'd be fine with 6/3 (good for 65A). Or 6/2 even. I had bought the cable for my install from the above vendor. No issues.
Pretty sure (?) 6/3 or 6/2 MC is limited to 55-amps in a home so it cannot be used for a wall connector if you want to get the full 48-amps out of the wall connector as it needs wire rated at 60-amps. And the problem with #4 wire is the maximum size wire for the connection to the wall connector terminals is #6, so you will need address that using a bridge with something like #6 THWN.

Pretty sure (?) 6/3 or 6/2 MC is limited to 55-amps in a home so it cannot be used for a wall connector if you want to get the full 48-amps out of the wall connector as it needs wire rated at 60-amps. And the problem with #4 wire is the maximum size wire for the connection to the wall connector terminals is #6, so you will need address that using a bridge with something like #6 THWN.
Incorrect. 6 awg mc cable is good for 65A (technically even 75 A if you’re able to use the 90C ratings)

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Incorrect. 6 awg mc cable is good for 65A (technically even 75 A if you’re able to use the 90C ratings)
See this link, home wire is usually limited to 60C just like NM-B, isn’t it?

See also

Last edited:
See this link, home wire is usually limited to 60C just like NM-B, isn’t it?

See also

No. Only nm-b is limited to 60c. Most others can go to 90, but it’s rare to have 90° rated terminals. 75 is fair game

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Hi,

I am planning to install the Tesla home charger and to get max output thinking of using 4/3 MC without conduit. Is it OK to use the cable from the below link?
I am planning to run from unfinished basement to the garage(50 feet), so there will be a place(~10 feet), where it will run between the insulation and Drywall. Do i need a conduit?

Thanks,
rg
For a 48A EVSE like the Tesla Wall Connector, all you need is 6/2 MC cable. See Advice for EV Charging in North America

Thanks for the reply ….Just curious why we need a Bridge ?

Thanks for the reply ….Just curious why we need a Bridge ?

Unless this has changed (I went looking for the source but cannot find it, so perhaps this is no longer applicable), the connections in the wall connector are sized for a maximum of #6 wire, so #4 wire will be too large. Thus, you would need to use a bridge in which you connect #4 wire to one side and #6 to the side going to the wall connector. This is moot, of course, as you plan to use #6 wire.

Unless this has changed (I went looking for the source but cannot find it, so perhaps this is no longer applicable), the connections in the wall connector are sized for a maximum of #6 wire, so #4 wire will be too large. Thus, you would need to use a bridge in which you connect #4 wire to one side and #6 to the side going to the wall connector. This is moot, of course, as you plan to use #6 wire.
Manual says it can take 4 awg wire

1714310918133.png

Page 7 here: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf

Hi,

Thanks,
rg
Use a licensed electrician from your state that will apply for a permit and inspection.
Installing a wall charger that draws 48 amps is a device improperly installed can start a fire, burn down your house, and provide an out for your insurance company not to pay. I'm just sayin

Use a licensed electrician from your state that will apply for a permit and inspection.
Installing a wall charger that draws 48 amps is a device improperly installed can start a fire, burn down your house, and provide an out for your insurance company not to pay. I'm just sayin
Sure!!! I am not planning to install myself, Just buying the material and will be using a Licensed electrician.