Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$35 paint job (Sonic Carbon alternative)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many, I like the look of the black 22s but didn't want to sacrifice range, towing, and durability - so I got the stock 20s. Tesla wisely introduced the Sonic Carbon 20s today but for $3000 - too late for people like me and IMHO, overpriced!

That compelled me today to spend about 2.5 hrs and "dip" my wheels with Plasti Dip. Easy, reversible, looks good, and cheap ($35 for 6 cans on Amazon). I'm typically horrible with spray paint... but this is rubber which is very hard to make drip and it basically evens itself out.

I am crazy for doing this to a six figure car, but it turned out awesome. Best part is when my wife curbs the wheels, I'll just redo it. If I want to go back to silver, just peel it off.

IMG_0937.JPG
IMG_0938.JPG
IMG_0954.JPG
IMG_0951.JPG
IMG_0955.JPG

But how do you clean the wheels? Won't it peel off?
I finished the last coat an hour ago. I can't peel it off even with my fingernail. Appears durable. The playing card has a non stick coating so it peels easier off the card than the wheels.

Also, I should mention that I'm a bit neurotic about the wheels. If something were to scrape them, say my wife hitting a curb, I'll spend 45 minutes and respray the wheel. I think this is going to save my marriage.

Last edited:
Titanium Metallic? I'm jelly. :(

Yes, I'm very lucky to have this Unicorn. It is Titanium Metallic, with unlimited supercharging and HW2/AP2
These are 2 sets older 19 inch wheels, I have yet to do anything with the 19 inch fan style wheels came on it.
The older style wheels, dipped this way, actually see more appealing to me than the new style wheel. I wanted the new style wheels so bad, and now I am just lukewarm on them. I still have to customize them.

By the way, using playing cards, or, I used, plastic/ flash cards from the dollar store, is a great way to mask between the tire and wheel.