Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sonic Carbon color change--Photos of silver/white Model S with Sonic Carbon slipstream wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The powder coating process includes using electrostatic charged particles that tend to adhere well and more evenly to the surface and then it is heat cured. It’s supposed to be more durable and have a glossier finish.

Thanks! How long is the curing/baking process for powder coating? Is this something a well equipped mobile wheel shop can handle?

I assume they'd use a special high heat tolerant paint?

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
Thanks! How long is the curing/baking process for powder coating? Is this something a well equipped mobile wheel shop can handle?

I assume they'd use a special high heat tolerant paint?

The particles are actually a powder, thus the name powder coating. The curing process melts the particles and when it cools a hard coating if formed. I think the curing temp is somewhere around 400 degrees F and it doesn’t take too long - 20 minutes or so.

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
The particles are actually a powder, thus the name powder coating. The curing process melts the particles and when it cools a hard coating if formed. I think the curing temp is somewhere around 400 degrees F and it doesn’t take too long - 20 minutes or so.

I would look for a shop particularly equipped for and experienced in powder coating and I would ask to see examples of their work. I use a shop in Sacramento called Rim Pros. They can do a three layer process that combines powder coating and painting - that’s how they can get the sonic carbon color that matches the stock center caps.

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
I would look for a shop particularly equipped for and experienced in powder coating and I would ask to see examples of their work. I use a shop in Sacramento called Rim Pros. They can do a three layer process that combines powder coating and painting - that’s how they can get the sonic carbon color that matches the stock center caps.

Super helpful! Thanks. I guess then a clear coat is applied on top?

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
What did rim pros charge per wheel? Did it include all mounting and balancing?

I had my silver slipstreams powder coated shortly after I bought my 2017 model S. I did not try and match the Tesla sonic carbon. I had the wheels powder coated, the calipers painted, and all mounting and balancing for $1,200

Attachments

• CB478E61-532B-4241-AE83-F20D69A6B4DD.jpeg
    CB478E61-532B-4241-AE83-F20D69A6B4DD.jpeg
    588.6 KB · Views: 169
  • D85377F6-9E1A-455C-852B-2818D25481EE.jpeg
    D85377F6-9E1A-455C-852B-2818D25481EE.jpeg
    541.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 197B0E90-E352-485D-9017-C8EAB6914D66.jpeg
    197B0E90-E352-485D-9017-C8EAB6914D66.jpeg
    481.5 KB · Views: 129
Good tire choice!

How are the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ holding up?
So far so good. With everything going on, I haven’t even managed to put 2000 miles on them in five months. And, did not get a chance to take them to the snow this spring. They handle pretty well, but not as well as the S04 pole positions I just came from. But, I really did not want to have to switch wheels to go to the snow.

So far so good. With everything going on, I haven’t even managed to put 2000 miles on them in five months. And, did not get a chance to take them to the snow this spring. They handle pretty well, but not as well as the S04 pole positions I just came from. But, I really did not want to have to switch wheels to go to the snow.

These were the same reason I switched to Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I still have not driven in snow either so was curious for Model S first hand accounts on these tires while driving on snow.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits and Flyguy