Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're now ready to begin production. We're assuming an initial production run of 50 units.

The camera switch PCB in a case with two remotes and receptacles and connections for the front and rear cameras and touch screen, 12v power, ground, and reverse signal will be $195.00 each. A refundable pre-production deposit of $100 will be required. If we don't reach 50 deposits production will be canceled and deposits refunded. PM me for information on how to make your reservation deposit.

Other parts needed for installation are as follows. These range in cost (depending on the source) from about $100 to $200.

Tesla cables:

CABLES, HSD, LIFTGATE, CAMERA (1006780-00-D) These are shorter cables and 2 are needed, one for a gender change between the long cable (below) and the front camera; the second to connect from the PCB touchscreen receptacle to the existing touchscreen cable.

CABLE, HSD, BODY MAIN, CAMERA (1006781-00-D) This is a long cable. It connects to the short gender change cable attached to the front camera. This long one then plugs into the PCB port for the front camera.

Rear camera (which becomes the front camera in this application) There are several options on eBay, Amazon, or from Tesla. Here are the Tesla options:

CAMERA - REAR VIEW 1006773-00-F (Used on vehicles built before July 9, 2016. OK to use and replace 1006773-00-D and -E.)
CAMERA - REAR VIEW 1061269-00-B Ok to use -A. Used on vehicles built on or after July 9, 2016. Not compatible with 1006773-00-D/E/F.

I'll post another, separate thread for orders in the TMC Tesla Parts for Sale. Again, PM me for how to make your reservation deposit.

Finally got the cables I ordered from my local SC. They were packaged very... oddly.

In any case, total came to about $77 after tax for all 3. There is also a new PN for the BODY MAIN camera cable: 1006781-00-E instead of 1006781-00-D:

PartsInvoice.png
Cable2.jpg
Cable1.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like Tesla actually sent me two of the BODY MAIN, CAMERA (1006781) instead of the lift gate PN... so still can't really test the setup yet :( I do have some water blue HSD connectors I could use to roll my own... I wonder if the signal would work over CAT6 8)

This is sad. The front mounted rear camera kit is without a doubt the best mod that I have made to my two Teslas. And it cost twice as much to do it back in '14 than it does today. I use the front view every day when pulling into parking spaces, so as not to hit the blocks and curbs. I am sure we all use the back up camera. I don't know how I managed without it for so many years. But then because the nose of the Tesla is so low, and the splitter is low, and we risk damaging the front when pulling up to curbs. I am certain in the last four years so far the front camera has helped me avoid banging up the front of my S, dozens and dozens of times.

Back in summer of '14, I installed mine. Then in Dec '16, I ordered a new car. I removed it and reinstalled it on my '17 when it arrived. Its an investment. It can be added, removed and sold or installed on your next S or X too, folks.

Artsci, for the record, THANK YOU for developing this years ago. Its great.

Last edited:
At the pace of deposits (we now have 18) I'm concerned that we'll never reach the minimum of 50 orders required to begin production.

YGPM...

A small update on getting reverse from CAN: I got it working successfully today!

We had earlier discussed possibly connecting via the OBD port, but after some testing I can confirm that the CAN lines there are completely non-functional. However, the diagnostic connector under the screen works great and is very easily accessible.

See a short video of my prototype setup here:

Once I get the correct camera cables from Tesla (hopefully Thursday...), I'll do a full test with the switcher module and see if it switches the camera directly with 3.3V from the panda's GPIO or if I need to add some additional circuitry to switch 12V.

This should make installing this camera switch on newer AP2/AP2.5 cars much easier... no need to tap any wires!

appleguru, do you think it your method will not work on AP1 or earlier cars? Or is it that you don't have one to test and are just making the safer leap that it might not?

If you can get this working, it will be a blessing for many people. I can say, SIGN ME UP for one of the switches that incorporates the CAN.

appleguru, do you think it your method will not work on AP1 or earlier cars? Or is it that you don't have one to test and are just making the safer leap that it might not?

If you can get this working, it will be a blessing for many people. I can say, SIGN ME UP for one of the switches that incorporates the CAN.

Should work just fine on AP1 and earlier; the CAN messages are the same. Only catch is that the diagnostic connector is different on cars built before Sept 2015.