Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd Row Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just read this. Glad you're submitting a report as well!

Just had a chance to mess with the car seat and it is almost certainly 2 different things at play here. One an early bug which rendered the seat in question with extra tension to be inoperable and 2 a new software update which now allows the seats to move forward but not articulate when enough weight is sensed.
When I loosened my non articulating passenger side car seat in my 6 seater it immediately allowed for full functionality to return. Sure you can leave it a tad bit looser to accommodate the 3rd row access when family is in town but no one wants to risk a potentially less safe scenario for their kids.
During my testing in the garage right now, it seems as though it is not the lower latches on the left and right side of the car seats that instigate a limited functioning seat motion but the 3rd longer latch which goes over and behind the seat and latches to the floor in the back of the seat.
It is that tightening that creates the extra tension on the seatback and not seat bottom that triggers my particular car seat.

Hi Pjjava34, my X is white! I've seen a few blue Xs around the area, it seems to be the favorite color around here with the white and the midnight silver.

If you see my OP both my seats were working beautifully when I first received. Nothing changed in the setup but all of a sudden I had the same issue but on the driver's side (seat 100% unusable). If I used the latches though (even the one that attaches to the bottom of the car) the seat worked perfectly which was a saving grace when my visitors were here and I needed to access the 3rd row constantly.

After the last update now both seats move but, as you say, at a snail pace and they don't articulate at the end. I have a loaner X and the seats move in this fashion with the car seat latched to the bottom only. Both my car seats are installed with seat belt (my kids have outgrown the latch weight limit) and playing with the new X the seats move normally only if I unbuckle the seat belt. Even if the seat is empty but the seat belt is buckled the seat moves but extremely slow. So in this case it doesn't seem to have anything to do with weight and/or tension but seat belt state. I'll check my car when I get it back (hopefully today)

I think the most frustrating part is when the SC tries to diagnose the problem but they don't even know what the firmware/software updates have modified. The lady at the SC called me to tell me about the fact that now the seats move but super slowly and when I asked her if that was something that was specifically addressed with the latest update she said they don't know what the updates do. So it seems they have to deal with issues sort of blindfolded and try to guess what the culprits are. At this point I don't think this is the SCs fault but the way the system works that they leave this people to their own devices to fix an extremely complex car :mad:

I'll play more with the loaner and then with my car to see what I get and I'll update you.

Thanks for the video!

I have the same car seat protector and same car seat ;) In the loaner I have the seat goes into 'snail mode' if just the seat belt is buckled and the seat is empty. So I think they have also limited the functionality in that case which, IMHO, it is useless :confused:

I'll try reporting the bug as well and I totally agree with the override function. They've done that with the FWDs already so why not the seats?

Reactions: EV Family
Nice video! Just a note on my situation- I've got Clek Oobr and Clek Olli boosters that do not have any tension - just 2 latch connectors per booster. This does not set off the weight sensors in the seats as can be seen in the car info/status app/view in the dash screen. Whenever the seat senses an occupant who's not buckled, you'll get a nice red icon over that seat in that view. In my case what's setting off the creepy crawly non-articulated 2nd seats are the seat belt extenders that I have installed so that the kids can reach the buckle receptacles to buckle themselves in. Once I remove the seat belt extenders - seats move & articulate like before the last update.
Here is a quick video I did on what seems to be the issue regarding the 2nd row seats and some car seats. Apologies of the dim lightning as construction next door forced me to close the garage.

Reactions: EV Family
7-seater Cargo mode discovered!!!

Wanted to share in a separate post to call attention to this. I was playing with the 2nd row seats tonight and finally found a way to articulate the middle seat all the way forward - so it's in line with the outboard seats when they are articulated for 3rd row access. I have not seen the middle seat move that far forward nor articulate prior to this so this was news to me and wanted to share.

This can only be done from the main screen. With the outboard seats all the way forward and articulated for 3rd row access - 1 touch on the main screen to move the middle seat back followed by 1 touch to move it forward brings the middle all the way forward and articulates it so that it's fully in line with the outboard seats!!!

I've only seen the middle seat tilt forward slightly before and was wondering if it's even mechanically possible to move it as far forward as the outboard ones. Turns out it is!

Much more cargo room this way in the 7 seater, provided the 2nd row is not occupied !!!

Full disclosure: not sure if the latch warning will come up, as I haven't tried driving it like this.

• Informative
Reactions: Blastphemy
Really not sure why it won't just move all the way forward without moving it back first - the seat forward button on the screen is not grayed out, but unless you do the back-front tango - it does not articulate.

Mr. Car, please give us the single touch Cargo Mode button on the seats screen - would go so great with doors that "open like this"

Suggestion will be in my "bug report/feature request" tomorrow.

1 touch on the main screen to move the middle seat back followed by 1 touch to move it forward

I'm beyond frustrated with this issue and the SC seems to not know how to fix it or how it is supposed to work. The latest back and forth with them has to do with the operation of the seats from the screen. With 'snail mode', i.e. the car seats are installed and the seat moves at a snail pace, can you also move the seats from the screen? I used to be able to do that from the screen (I had to hold the button to get the seat moving, just like from the seat itself) but now I can only do it for one of the seats and not the other. As usual the SC's way out is to blame the car seats for not applying equal pressure on the seats :mad:

Try contacting [email protected]. I think some or even all of these seat issues can be fixed in the software.

Thanks. I won't be taking the car to the SC until they figure out for good what the behavior should be and how to fix these issues. Whenever I take it to fix something a new thing breaks or stops working. It upsets me that is always the same seat the one with the issue. It even has a problem with the upholstery, it keeps tearing out of its casing where the seat belt cover is on the bottom, and they say they do not know why it keeps doing it and that I should keep an eye on it, seriously? I told them to document the issue because I don't want to be held responsible for the upholstery tearing with use.