Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Prius Prime

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Jul 12, 2012
Maine

SE 44 miles AER. 17" wheels.
XLE/XLE Premium 39 miles AER. 19" wheels.
No heated seats in the SE. XLE over $3k more than the SE.

InsideEVs review:

InsideEVS 70mph range test gave 34 miles raining, low 50s, 70F cabin temperature:

Yeah, yeah, Toyota hydrogen blah, self-charging blah, Volt blah.

Given a spouse who doesn't want 2 EVs the Prius Prime could be an option, but they go and ruin it with packaging that forces inefficient, oversized wheels onto buyers.
I really hope they correct it make the 17" available on the higher specs.

I do have to say that the electric-only range is finally something worth having now. It’s over the average daily driving for the US now, so this could cause a meaningful reduction in gas consumption. As I remember, this is right where the Gen-1 Volt was at. Previously, when asked about EV/PHEV options, I would tell friends about the Prius Prime, and in the same breath, say, “but, what’s the point of the Prius Prime?”

Granted, it could do better if Toyota didn’t follow the industry trend of large and inefficient tires and wheels, but I feel the finally usable all-electric range is the much bigger story.

I do have to say that the electric-only range is finally something worth having now. It’s over the average daily driving for the US now, so this could cause a meaningful reduction in gas consumption. As I remember, this is right where the Gen-1 Volt was at. Previously, when asked about EV/PHEV options, I would tell friends about the Prius Prime, and in the same breath, say, “but, what’s the point of the Prius Prime?”

Granted, it could do better if Toyota didn’t follow the industry trend of large and inefficient tires and wheels, but I feel the finally usable all-electric range is the much bigger story.
We have a 2013 Volt, so the Prius would have more range and be more efficient both electric and gas, especially if it still has the heat pump, which I haven't seen confirmed yet. That could help increase the number of all-electric commutes. Fortunately I can charge while at work, so even my winter Volt commutes are gas free unless the temperature is 15F or less, but it would be nice to have to plug in less as that takes a few minutes of my time.

So, now we're spoiled and want heated seats, I really don't want to blow range on the wheels.

Also, I'd really like to know about the configurable regen power. From what I've read about the RAV4 Prime there's a potential issue with adaptive cruise where it can cause the engine to have to start due to use of spinning the engine (which doesn't require fuel) it to supplement regenerative braking with engine braking to control speed on downslopes.

I really like that both my Volt and my Kona have strong regen and their cruise controls can easily control speed downhill. Because of that I drive in cruise a lot, and I don't want to have to avoid using cruise control to have an engine-free commute.

I have an 18 prime premium, heated front seats...no AC seats. 15" rims. Honestly they should package most models with smaller rims, and upcharge for bigger ones( though not an outrageous price like they usually are).
Same with the Performance Teslas...One reason i didnt go with P was i didnt want the heavy rims, and why would I pay same price for the 19's