Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y: Performance vs Acceleration Boost vs Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other than the Plaids, the P versions of the 3/Y really just have actual improved acceleration mostly in the 0-60. Think of it more like acceleration boost to 60 mph. All the real improvement in acceleration is just to 60 and after that not much difference between the M3P, MY LR w/boost or MY LR. Same applies to the MY series.

To put it another way, the P versions gap at the LR launch and then don't ever really pull away any more from about 50 mph and up. Contrast that with the Plaid. It beats the LR to 60 but continues to extend its advantage all the way up. The Plaid ends the 1/4 mile at least 20 mph faster and closer to 25 mph. Whereas with the 3/Y, not a huge difference.

Interesting vid to watch comparing the M3 P, LR and SR+ in the UK. So I like to think of the P version of the 3/Y as more of a boosted acceleration boost (AB) that flames out later. Basically the same way AB does as well. The P's (both 3 and Y) aren't really reflecting much an improvement in the trap speed. For how much quicker the P's are to 60, you'd think there would be a bigger improvement in trap speed.

Is this a function of how Tesla chooses to unleash power at various speeds? I would think then that the P of 3/Y are being purposefully throttled back after 60 in order to create more disparity between S/X numbers?

I think gearing plays into this a bit on the S and X for sure. The M3P is quicker than the MS LR 0-60 mph but gets crushed everywhere else. The MS LR should have been quicker to 60 than the M3P according to Tesla's own specs but it isn't. That was one of the reasons I originally ordered an MS LR. In the real world I haven't seen an MS LR beat an M3P to 60, ever.

I think gearing plays into this a bit on the S and X for sure. The M3P is quicker than the MS LR 0-60 mph but gets crushed everywhere else. The MS LR should have been quicker to 60 than the M3P according to Tesla's own specs but it isn't. That was one of the reasons I originally ordered an MS LR. In the real world I haven't seen an MS LR beat an M3P to 60, ever.
It’s only a matter of time before 3rd party software folks figure out how to bypass and not trigger any warranty violation.
Ie. Ingenext

So no MS LR has ever done the 0-60 in the claimed 3.1/3.2 sec?

Reactions: hyp36rmax
It’s only a matter of time before 3rd party software folks figure out how to bypass and not trigger any warranty violation.
Ie. Ingenext

So no MS LR has ever done the 0-60 in the claimed 3.1/3.2 sec?
Best I've ever seen is one confirmed run at 3.23. I did about 100 passes and best I ever got was 3.28. Typical was 3.3 to 3.4. Didn't matter if 100% SoC or 60% SoC, not a measurable difference. I believe this to be the case as the battery can easily supply the power of the Plaid so it was never really taxed by the MY LR. I also tried my runs in every possible combination of launch mode, 100% SoC, nothing mattered.

For times for the M3P, I've seen many Ps beat their stock time. First time I ever measured an M3P, it ran a 3.05 vs the 3.1 claimed. I am not getting into the rollout or not discussion. Comparing their times vs the claimed times by Tesla, done in the same way, if you buy an M3P, you have a good chance of meeting or beating the claimed time. This is not the case with the MY LR.

Reactions: bckelowna
Other than the Plaids, the P versions of the 3/Y really just have actual improved acceleration mostly in the 0-60. Think of it more like acceleration boost to 60 mph. All the real improvement in acceleration is just to 60 and after that not much difference between the M3P, MY LR w/boost or MY LR. Same applies to the MY series.

To put it another way, the P versions gap at the LR launch and then don't ever really pull away any more from about 50 mph and up. Contrast that with the Plaid. It beats the LR to 60 but continues to extend its advantage all the way up. The Plaid ends the 1/4 mile at least 20 mph faster and closer to 25 mph. Whereas with the 3/Y, not a huge difference.

Interesting vid to watch comparing the M3 P, LR and SR+ in the UK. So I like to think of the P version of the 3/Y as more of a boosted acceleration boost (AB) that flames out later. Basically the same way AB does as well. The P's (both 3 and Y) aren't really reflecting much an improvement in the trap speed. For how much quicker the P's are to 60, you'd think there would be a bigger improvement in trap speed.
The MYP has a larger rear motor than the LR, and the manufacturer specs show a top speed of 155MPH vs 135MPH for the LR. I'm sure the relative advantage between the two models diminishes significantly at speeds greater than 60, but wouldn't there be some residual advantage at higher speeds for the P since it has materially greater horsepower?

Based on real world experience, it seem like the HP advantage disappears at higher speeds. Anecdotally with my boosted M3 LR, I've ran dead even with or pulled several M3Ps at higher speeds (70+). Don't know what their state of charge was so I can't tell how we match up there but I am never over 80%.

The MYP has a larger rear motor than the LR, and the manufacturer specs show a top speed of 155MPH vs 135MPH for the LR. I'm sure the relative advantage between the two models diminishes significantly at speeds greater than 60, but wouldn't there be some residual advantage at higher speeds for the P since it has materially greater horsepower?
I suppose this could be also due to the added weight of the 21” Ubers vs the 19”. I’d like to see how an MYP fairs against an LRY with exact same wheel set up and SOC.

Manuf specs could also be a measure of the lower performance tires on LR Vs P.

Side note: I can tell you my LR3AB feels faster at ALL speeds compared to my MYP.

Just go with the MYP if you care most about 0-60, easiest to do and not think about other variables its the best MY for performance from the factory as is. And if you want to mod you're still ahead. Its a stop light racing king stock

Reactions: DJ DizzR
Does anyone have the status of 980 and 990 use in models and when? Is the 990 a big enhancement like HW4? The video is interesting but nothing amazingly profound for the average buyer, my opinion.
I do a lot of reading and a lot of forgetting but I feel I remember it's not a lot of difference between the 980/990 motor but more to do with the motor controller. I also think I remember reading that the 990 is more efficient.

For reference, the last run on my M3 LR w/boost was 3.71 without rollout and 3.48 with rollout. That was on a 80% SoC. Not my best run but the car can consistently run that time.

As mentioned non-P cars never get track mode. I don't think it will ever be offered on the MXP.

I had an MY LR w/boost. The Y's range sucks, and even worse with the big tires of the P. FYI - my MY got worse efficiency than either of my 2 Model S's and one of them is a Plaid on 21" tires. The Y was surprisingly inefficient even on the factory 19's. I'd never do the 21's.

Keep in mind that except of the Plaid versions, the P versions performance gain over their normal counterpart basically evaporates over 50 mph. Think of the P version of the 3/Y as having a super version of acceleration boost that flames out by 60 mph. So they seem a little punchier off the line and then fall flat by 50.

If the price delta is low enough, by the P and ditch the big wheels. Unless you really need the room of the Y, buy the 3. It is a much more fun car to drive and VASTLY more efficient. A boosted M3 LR is as quick as an MYP, has about 30% better efficiency and is a lot of fun to drive. I took the savings from not buying the P and planned to use it to buy good coilovers as I can enjoy that a lot more than the couple tenths of a second quicker to 60.

In the Y, the base MY LR is a slow dog as far as I am concerned. The stock 4.8 is pretty slow, and assumes it is actually meets the numbers. The MY LR should have ran stock 4.2-4.3. Realistically if you value performance, and really want a Y, then don't even consider any variation of the LR. For the 3, the base M3 LR is quick enough to be fun. Add in boost and it almost supercar quick. I never regretted not getting the M3P. I can go about 50 mile more per charge with my 3 than I could drive my Y. The fun factor is far higher and I can still fit car seats in my 3. The 3 has more leg room too and ride quality stock is far better.

TL:DR - don't buy the MY LR, buy the MYP. Don't buy the MY anything but buy either the M3 LR or M3P and get rid of the 20's on the P if you value range and ride comfort. Buy a lightweight set of 19's for the M3P or MYP and enjoy the better handling and balanced car.
My experience has been almost a word for word opposite of this.

First of all, of course the Model 3 handles better, gets better range and is faster. It’s the size of a Toyota Corolla. The MY is enormous in comparison.

The leg room comment is mind boggling bc the model Y is both longer and much taller. There is a space for your feet under the MY seats that the M3 doesn’t have. I’ve never had anyone tell me they’re unhappy with the legroom in a Y, but go from a Y to a 3, and it feels cramped.

Comparing the driving dynamics and feel of a small sedan with a 12 cu/ft trunk to an SUV with significantly more storage space than a BMW X3 or an Audi Q5 seems like the results should be obvious. You’re comparing a tiny sedan to a mid sized SUV.

The MY is a great drive for the type of vehicle and the price. Sure, a 70k Audi SQ5 might drive better, but it’s smaller and costs 15k more. There are about 700 YouTube videos verifying the 4.8 0-60 time in the model Y, and with the acceleration boost you truly do gain a half second, which has also been exhaustively proven in 3rd party tests.

If you want to drive a zippy car that feels like a small sedan, get the 3. If you have need the storage space for road trips or whatever, get the Y. It’s plenty fun to drive, esp when you are realistic about the type of vehicle you’re driving.

As far as the range goes, again - driving aggressively affects the range (along with a host of other factors), but driving the 3 and the Y identically will cause the bigger car to burn range faster.

At the end of the day, if this is just a performance question, why is anyone even considering a Y over a 3? I’m not sure anyone out there is truly wondering if any of the model Ys drive like the smaller, lighter model 3. Of course not.

The more practical question is, “If I need a model Y for the cargo space, am I going to enjoy driving it?”

Having driven just about every sub-5 second, small SUV under 75k made since 2014, yes. You’ll like driving it.

My experience has been almost a word for word opposite of this.

First of all, of course the Model 3 handles better, gets better range and is faster. It’s the size of a Toyota Corolla. The MY is enormous in comparison.

The leg room comment is mind boggling bc the model Y is both longer and much taller. There is a space for your feet under the MY seats that the M3 doesn’t have. I’ve never had anyone tell me they’re unhappy with the legroom in a Y, but go from a Y to a 3, and it feels cramped.

Comparing the driving dynamics and feel of a small sedan with a 12 cu/ft trunk to an SUV with significantly more storage space than a BMW X3 or an Audi Q5 seems like the results should be obvious. You’re comparing a tiny sedan to a mid sized SUV.

The MY is a great drive for the type of vehicle and the price. Sure, a 70k Audi SQ5 might drive better, but it’s smaller and costs 15k more. There are about 700 YouTube videos verifying the 4.8 0-60 time in the model Y, and with the acceleration boost you truly do gain a half second, which has also been exhaustively proven in 3rd party tests.

If you want to drive a zippy car that feels like a small sedan, get the 3. If you have need the storage space for road trips or whatever, get the Y. It’s plenty fun to drive, esp when you are realistic about the type of vehicle you’re driving.

As far as the range goes, again - driving aggressively affects the range (along with a host of other factors), but driving the 3 and the Y identically will cause the bigger car to burn range faster.

At the end of the day, if this is just a performance question, why is anyone even considering a Y over a 3? I’m not sure anyone out there is truly wondering if any of the model Ys drive like the smaller, lighter model 3. Of course not.

The more practical question is, “If I need a model Y for the cargo space, am I going to enjoy driving it?”

Having driven just about every sub-5 second, small SUV under 75k made since 2014, yes. You’ll like driving it.

The front legroom in the 3 is greater than the Y, I think, by almost an inch. I also found my leg seemed to be forced inward less (i.e. better angle) with my 3 than my Y. Back seat it is obviously bigger but I ride up front, not in the back. I've had 5 people in my 3 and enough room in the back. Extra room is just wasted space that you pay a penalty for when not needed.

The cargo size difference is a bit misleading. the length and width of the 3/Y are very similar. You just get a higher area where the hatch is. So if I needed to fit something long in my Y, I could likely do it in my 3. This assumes it isn't super tall. I've found I could get remarkably big things in the 3 with just a little more effort than the Y. If the 3 had a hatch like the Y, it'd be very close. As it is, the Y support taller things which may be important for some. Otherwise the 3 is pretty large.

Ever notice how Tesla NEVER compares the volume of the 3 and Y the same? Tesla talks about the volume with the seats folded down in the Y to make it look massively bigger than the 3 and only show the volume of the 3's trunk. If you compare that area from the 3 to the Y (behind the rear seats) the volume is a lot closer than you would think when looking at the total cargo space they quote.

It is an apples-to-oranges comparison just like how they compare acceleration statistics of between the performance models and non-performance. They do it to trick you into thinking there is more of a difference than there really is.

As for range, I'll definitely take my 3 over the Y as it had vastly worse efficiency. Not even close. The Y was even worse than my Model S LR for efficiency. The faster you go, the bigger the difference between the 3 and Y. So if you drive 50-60 mph, the Y may be fairly close to the 3. Drive 75-80 and it is a different story.

Factor in heating and and cooling. That bigger cabin requires more heating and cooling. So on hot/cold days, you'll use more energy to heat/cool it. Physics is at play here. More mass = worse efficiency. More frontal area (with similar drag coefficient) = worse efficiency. So many things work against the Y in these areas; wider, taller, heavier, etc.

Few cars have I regretted buying as much as my Y. It was one of those cars that seemed better on paper than owning it. Knowing what I now know, it was a mistake to buy it. Or at a minimum, I should have bought the MYP. The acceleration of EVs is so smooth, that you don't the rise and fall of the acceleration curve that you do with most ICE cars. So while a 4.5 EV and ICE, may get to 60 in the same time, they typically go about it differently and the ICE car will be at times pulling higher peak G's than typically the EV will. So at times, it will feel quicker than the EV, because it is momentarily and then it will be slower. The other thing I wasn't prepared for was how much the 3/Y die in acceleration after you hit about 50 mph.

Enough info out there for everyone to prioritize what they want and what car will give it to them. Now we have a lot more options. It will be curious to see how the next gen 3 turns out.

Reactions: bckelowna
I think it goes, a current MYLR owner will say boost update is far better than the performance package. And a performance owner will say, it’s a better deal to get the performance.

Wife owns a MYLR, my brother’s wife owns a MYP, and bc we bought the MYLR during the first initial tax break thing, MYP did not qualify. Then when it did price went up on it. No complaints on the MYLR but performance package is 10x better. But the tire replacement cost more. But if you re more of a car guy, performance, hands down. If you just want to go tesla( not even electric, but tesla) model y should be ok. Lol

With the current YLR and YP separated by only 4k and only 2k if you add the acceleration boost to the YLR, I am wondering where folks sit with current or future purchase. Thanks

Have YLR - would buy again
Have YP - would buy again
Have YLR - would get YP
Have YP - would get YLR
Have YLR (with AB), got 3P as a 2nd car (for fun).

The Y for me is a utility vehicle and his tons of room compared to a 3, I would have gotten a YP if a 3rd row was available (best for kids and little people). Utility was priority though. L

For a fast/fun car don't compromise with a YP if you don't need to the space (sounds like you don't), get a 3P instead.

Reactions: hyp36rmax
Have MYP…would get again. Have owned YLR/boost and can confirm 40-120kph is literally identical to MYP. It’s only 0-40 where the P has the edge. Looks wise MYP is fantastic. Suspension wise, LR slightly better.

Have 3LR/boost…would get 3P again.

Between MYP and M3LR/boost….the latter feels faster and much more fun to drive while the Y is more refined and a larger interior cabin with great utility.

I run 39 psi on both…21” 275/295 combo with MYP Ubers and 20” 245’s w/ V1 Perf rims for M3. Provides a better cushion on smaller road imperfections.

Last edited:
The front legroom in the 3 is greater than the Y, I think, by almost an inch. I also found my leg seemed to be forced inward less (i.e. better angle) with my 3 than my Y. Back seat it is obviously bigger but I ride up front, not in the back. I've had 5 people in my 3 and enough room in the back. Extra room is just wasted space that you pay a penalty for when not needed.

The cargo size difference is a bit misleading. the length and width of the 3/Y are very similar. You just get a higher area where the hatch is. So if I needed to fit something long in my Y, I could likely do it in my 3. This assumes it isn't super tall. I've found I could get remarkably big things in the 3 with just a little more effort than the Y. If the 3 had a hatch like the Y, it'd be very close. As it is, the Y support taller things which may be important for some. Otherwise the 3 is pretty large.

Ever notice how Tesla NEVER compares the volume of the 3 and Y the same? Tesla talks about the volume with the seats folded down in the Y to make it look massively bigger than the 3 and only show the volume of the 3's trunk. If you compare that area from the 3 to the Y (behind the rear seats) the volume is a lot closer than you would think when looking at the total cargo space they quote.

It is an apples-to-oranges comparison just like how they compare acceleration statistics of between the performance models and non-performance. They do it to trick you into thinking there is more of a difference than there really is.

As for range, I'll definitely take my 3 over the Y as it had vastly worse efficiency. Not even close. The Y was even worse than my Model S LR for efficiency. The faster you go, the bigger the difference between the 3 and Y. So if you drive 50-60 mph, the Y may be fairly close to the 3. Drive 75-80 and it is a different story.

Factor in heating and and cooling. That bigger cabin requires more heating and cooling. So on hot/cold days, you'll use more energy to heat/cool it. Physics is at play here. More mass = worse efficiency. More frontal area (with similar drag coefficient) = worse efficiency. So many things work against the Y in these areas; wider, taller, heavier, etc.

Few cars have I regretted buying as much as my Y. It was one of those cars that seemed better on paper than owning it. Knowing what I now know, it was a mistake to buy it. Or at a minimum, I should have bought the MYP. The acceleration of EVs is so smooth, that you don't the rise and fall of the acceleration curve that you do with most ICE cars. So while a 4.5 EV and ICE, may get to 60 in the same time, they typically go about it differently and the ICE car will be at times pulling higher peak G's than typically the EV will. So at times, it will feel quicker than the EV, because it is momentarily and then it will be slower. The other thing I wasn't prepared for was how much the 3/Y die in acceleration after you hit about 50 mph.

Enough info out there for everyone to prioritize what they want and what car will give it to them. Now we have a lot more options. It will be curious to see how the next gen 3 turns out.
CSB - lots of interesting points - last paragraph is spot on. The Model Y is the best selling car in the world 2 quarters in a row...

I have a MYLR and purchased AB. I wanted the best possible range for a MY and leaned toward the 19 inch wheels/LR suspension for comfort. The Performance Model is a great value - but I didnt want the bigger rims, lower ride (I like riding higher up) and staggered tires (rotation challenge). I wanted as much acceleration/power as possible. AB was a good way to keep what I wanted the most (comfort/height) and get close to MYP's capability.

Other note - If I went with MYP, in my state, no rebate ($3,500). I would have been over the limit. So the math works out well to add AB after.

Good recent review of AB:

Last edited: