Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y Cameras Black, No Autopilot Functionality, HV Contactor Randomly Clunks On and Off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cameras turned black, then came on briefly, then went black again for two weeks now. There is a three-week backlog to get into service. Also when standing next to Model Y, I can hear what I think is the high voltage battery contactor switching on and off at random intervals. I don't know it this could be related to the camera failure. It happens when the car is charging or not charging. Car seems to drive just fine except for the fore-mentioned problems. Anyone have a clue as to what is going on? Motherboard failure maybe?

Also when standing next to Model Y, I can hear what I think is the high voltage battery contactor switching on and off at random intervals.
Yes, that is what you're hearing. When your car detects a "key" (most likely your cell phone) within range, it will close the high voltage contactors and start booting up.

As to you camera problem, I wish I could be of help, but the only thing I can think of would be to turn on Sentry Mode (make sure you have a storage device attached to your car) and trip it intentionally. See if any video streams get recorded. Also, do you get a blind spot camera appearing on your display when a turn signal is in use? What about Live Camera mode on your phone? Sorry for all the questions... just trying to get an idea under which mode(s) the cameras are failing.

• Helpful
Reactions: JB47394
Question: How does the car detect the phone key? Is it through Bluetooth or GPS? I tried turning off Bluetooth and still heard the contactors closing and opening (or opening and closing, I'm not sure of the order. Then I turned off GPS and still heard the sound.

As for the cameras, the turn signal shows only a black square, the backup camera only shows black square (with white guidelines) and I get a message that parking assist is not available. I checked the flash drive and the mp4 files for all cameras were only 595 bytes in size and were not playable. If I turn on sentry mode and tap on 'View Live Camera' all I get is the white 'loading' circle rotating until it times out. It won't connect. Live view is enabled on the car's touchscreen under 'Safety/View Live Camera via Mobile App.' So all the cameras appear to be dead. And I've tried the reset with the steering wheel buttons several times as well as powering off the car and restarting.

Sounds like lemon law material.
Lemon law usually only applies after the manufacturer has failed multiple times to remedy a failure. The OP has not indicated that Tesla has even run remote diagnostics, let alone attempted to fix anything.

For the OP. Try removing any USB devices, including the flash drive for dashcam/sentry video, then reboot the MCU with the two steering wheel scroll buttons. There have been reports in the past where defective flash drives caused issues.

Oh, the contactor problems rang a bell. I was trying to check the health of my 12 V battery with the HV battery safety plug pulled (which disables the HV contactor). I had turned the car off in the Safety menu & left the passenger door open. The 12 V battery voltage fell to 12.2 V, which isn't good, and when I plugged the HV safety plug back in, I could not get the contactor to pull in. The 12 V battery should have pulled it in. The battery voltage fell below 12V. I had to put a battery charger on the 12V battery to get the contactor to pull in and get the vehicle back to life. Once the HV battery started charging the 12 V battery again, the vehicle seemed perfectly OK.

So, could your 12V battery be dying? That might also explain some of the other anomalies you're experiencing. I had a Prius prior to my MX, and it too relied upon a 12V battery to boot up the car & get it running. If that 12V battery became bad, various "mysterious" malfunctions would start to occur ultimately leading to the car just dying & refusing to wake up. I wonder if Teslas behave somewhat the same way.