Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model X very poor build quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I often visit our local Tesla delivery center.

I'm interested to know what the quality of the newly delivered Model X is like 👍🏻
Unfortunately, I have to conclude that the new Model X are extremely poorly assembled 😳
It really affects all the vehicles I have seen so far.
I just can't understand why there is no progress in Fremont..
The Model X is not a cheap car! Is that just accepted by buyers?
Why doesn't Fremont have the ambition to build better quality cars?
My "old" Model X 100D was built much better.

This picture is just a small example. The gap at the frunk on the right is so wide that my little finger fits in. There are so many similar problems all around the car 🤦🏻‍♂️

It's mainly the Model X. The Model S are not perfect but they look much better.

Just don't get it...

Summed up in a note:
"Very good technology, lovelessly assembled!"

Attachments

• IMG_5815.jpeg
    IMG_5815.jpeg
    585.2 KB · Views: 550
  • Informative
Reactions: scottf200

I'm interested to know what the quality of the newly delivered Model X is like 👍🏻
Unfortunately, I have to conclude that the new Model X are extremely poorly assembled 😳
The Model X is not a cheap car! Is that just accepted by buyers?
My "old" Model X 100D was built much better.

This picture is just a small example. The gap at the frunk on the right is so wide that my little finger fits in. There are so many similar problems all around the car 🤦🏻‍♂️

It's mainly the Model X. The Model S are not perfect but they look much better.

Just don't get it...

Summed up in a note:
"Very good technology, lovelessly assembled!"

Just wait until you try to parallel park the car in San Franchsco without any assistance views and realize the doors don’t open and close the way they used to since they deleted the sensors.

And then if you’re like rpo or me even the technology is wrought with bugs and cannot be trusted.

So, try this slogan instead.

“The possible promise of very good technology that Tesla won’t stand behind if the Technology doesn’t work. Oh and by the way it’s assembled by people who DGAF.”

Reactions: rpo

In my understanding there is a structural fault in the manufacturing process which makes it a race condition (or a feature creep) to try to optimize the panel gaps.

Munro has discussed why larger castings could mitigate the issue: Sandy Munro Says Mega Castings Could Solve Gap Issues On Tesla Model 3

The competitiion is finally coming in 2024 so Tesla will probably finally need to solve the panel gap and acceleration shudder issues and get into profitable volume production at lower and competetive pricepoints with less rework and warranty issues.

so which is harder, reducing panel gaps and software glitches or flying to mars and back?

In both, the goal function is to avoid going kaboom ;) So long as the product sells profitably with improving efficiencies of scale, the panel gaps and glitches are fine ;)

On space flight it is more binary, though probably many irrelevant software glitches are allowed and panel gaps don't matter if they don't shatter the ship or scare the passengers/cargo ;)

Build quality hasn't improved. Got mined delivered in mid-June 2023 and had to reject the first one (Model X Plaid) because the front driver door panel at the bottom was literally sticking out where anyone walking by can read the VIN# sticker in the b-pillar. The second rematch one (had to rematch to Model X LR) had frunk alignment issues (exactly like the one in the picture) and trunk had to get realigned.

so which is harder, reducing panel gaps and software glitches or flying to mars and back?
I realize you are trolling, but the part that you are missing is that panel gaps have been solved - human flight to Mars has not. Literally every other manufacturer has tighter tolerances than Tesla. Even $24k Honda Civics are higher quality. Tesla could easily lure someone from one of the other companies to solve this problem. But that will run straight into Tesla/Elon's extreme case of NIH (Not invented Here). Tesla/Elon thinks that they are the smartest kids in the room and if it's been done by someone else they will do it a different way on principle.

Now don't get me wrong. This approach is what got us Tesla vehicles in the first place. The legacy manufacturers wouldn't have built them without Tesla/Elon forging the way. But Tesla would be immensely better if Elon hired people that were experienced in things like supply chains, manufacturing, etc. and let them do their jobs without meddling. I once had a hood sitting in Dallas for 5 weeks waiting for a shipping label to be created. That is ridiculous. Tesla/Elon can get the big stuff right. Hire people to get the little stuff right. But that is anathema to Tesla/Elon. We will have to see if it keeps working for them.

While I missed out on HW4 and Matrix lights, I am really happy with my March, 2022 MXP. Build quality was really great despite being an end of quarter car. The rear liftgate needed a little adjustment and the PRNDL piece had a scratch in the mask (so you could see the "N" even without the backlight). Both were taken care of quickly by my SC. I also have USS so my doors work pretty well and I have useable parking sensors. The front doors still drive my wife crazy as she tries to treat them like her MS doors and move them while the motors are still driving them and they fight each other. But that's not a quality issue - they changed the design. FWDs work great.

Bottom line is to be prepared to reject and take your time looking it over. My pick-up location (Kansas City) was awesome. They tossed me a key fob and said to come inside when I was ready to sign the paperwork. My family and I spent almost 30 minutes crawling all over it. I put my kids in the 3rd row and made sure there was HVAC. We opened and closed everything. Looked at everything we could think of. I probably could have taken it for a test drive but I didn't want to push my luck. When I was satisfied I went inside and transferred the money.

While I missed out on HW4 and Matrix lights, I am really happy with my March, 2022 MXP. Build quality was really great despite being an end of quarter car. The rear liftgate needed a little adjustment and the PRNDL piece had a scratch in the mask (so you could see the "N" even without the backlight). Both were taken care of quickly by my SC. I also have USS so my doors work pretty well and I have useable parking sensors. The front doors still drive my wife crazy as she tries to treat them like her MS doors and move them while the motors are still driving them and they fight each other. But that's not a quality issue - they changed the design. FWDs work great.

Bottom line is to be prepared to reject and take your time looking it over. My pick-up location (Kansas City) was awesome. They tossed me a key fob and said to come inside when I was ready to sign the paperwork. My family and I spent almost 30 minutes crawling all over it. I put my kids in the 3rd row and made sure there was HVAC. We opened and closed everything. Looked at everything we could think of. I probably could have taken it for a test drive but I didn't want to push my luck. When I was satisfied I went inside and transferred the money.

What's the deal with rejections these days? I've heard if you reject multiple times Tesla will just block you from buying in the future

What's the deal with rejections these days? I've heard if you reject multiple times Tesla will just block you from buying in the future
Good question. I haven't been haunting the Refresh waiting room threads lately. Last year when I purchased if you rejected twice they kept your order fee and you had to re-order (consequently you went to the back of the line). No other sanctions were applied.

I would not be surprised if Tesla blocked you from purchasing in the future if you reject a poorly made car. Tesla's arrogance knows no bounds.

Reactions: ngng and rpo