Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this the update everybody is waiting for?
44.30.4?

Attachments

• IMG_3739.jpeg
    IMG_3739.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 25
Im still new.
What does that mean there are four?
I should expect one of the four or all of the four?
How do you know which one of the four to expect?
In the release notes it just says minor fixes…
You will get one of the four when you are in the queue to get it. Only Tesla knows for sure which one you will get and when you will get it. Also you need to scroll down and read the release notes for 23.44.30 that apply to all the Holiday updates.

Reactions: 100d
Im still new.
What does that mean there are four?
I should expect one of the four or all of the four?
How do you know which one of the four to expect?
In the release notes it just says minor fixes…
Looks like you’re on the latest of the four (3 bug fixes) if you scroll down you’ll see the release notes for the update, the one you downloaded includes the update plus the bug fixes for that update

Reactions: 100d
The thing is that if you have both hands on the wheel, the torque applied to the wheel by gravity on one arm would offset the torque applied by gravity on the other arm. Simple physics.
That's an over simplification. It depends on your posture, how you are sitting, how you are holding the wheel and where your hands are placed. However, all that really is not in play. It's the rotational torque resistance that is the tattle tail. One hand, two hands or even just a finger can provide sensed rotational torque resistances.

That's an over simplification. It depends on your posture, how you are sitting, how you are holding the wheel and where your hands are placed. However, all that really is not in play. It's the rotational torque resistance that is the tattle tail. One hand, two hands or even just a finger can provide sensed rotational torque resistances.
That's my main issue with the driver sensing being torque-based. There's no real good comfortable way to sit and place my arm to provide the required torque without having to consciously be pushing on it. All my previous vehicles had spokes of some kind around the 5:00 and 7:00 positions (or 4:00 and 8:00) and I could rest one or both hands there comfortably. The Tesla wheel doesn't have any kind of "stop" there so I either have to prop one knee up funny and push my hand with it, or chicken wing my left elbow onto the "shelf" at the top of the door.

The best wheel for this was in my 2003 Focus. I could rest my hands perfectly on the lower spokes and drive a long time assuming I didn't need to shift.
2002_ford_focus_4dr-hatchback_zx5_i_oem_1_1280x855.jpg

I go back and forth about trying to design/print some sort of thing I can attach to the bottom spoke that has hand stops for me to rest against.

• Love
Reactions: zroger73
That's my main issue with the driver sensing being torque-based. There's no real good comfortable way to sit and place my arm to provide the required torque without having to consciously be pushing on it. ...
Very easy with a yoke. Arm rests on the hand rest, hand rests on the bottom right corner of the yoke.

On the topic at hand....sigh...another day without the holiday release.

I am curious to know how the visualizer will render my garage floor...if it will interpret "lines / checkers", etc...

Attachments

• 20230702_131357.jpg
    20230702_131357.jpg
    773.1 KB · Views: 12
I got the notice this morning that 2023.44.30.2 is available for install. I have some questions, but I don't know who to ask. I do expect that in the future, Tesla will have sold enough vehicles to create a market for customer service and vehicle repairs so before long, independent businesses will establish vehicle and customer service centers to satisfy that need.

In the meantime I will try posting the questions here and if it's the wrong place, perhaps the moderators can move them to a better home.

My 2022 Y LR is likely mechanically the best car I have ever owned. At the same time, it is likely the most dangerous and unsafe car I have ever owned. Its first assignation attempt was about 10 minutes after I left the place Tesla turned it over to me, when it tried to create a collision with another vehicle merging onto the interstate highway. With each update until July 2023, the car got a little bit better, sometimes 3 steps forward and 2 backward, but always progress.

For the last 5 months every single update always made it worse. Sometimes things were added that I didn't care about like fart noises, light shows, entertainment additions, etc., but with every update, significant driving functions got worse and things that used to work were broken and have since stayed broke.

Tomorrow night I will need to take someone to the airport and really have to have a vehicle available to do it. There are no reviews available that I have found on 2023.44.30.2 I would really like to install the update with the hope that it will fix something that would allow me to back off from Devcon Level 4 to a lower level. But given 5 or 6 updates in a row that have been net destructive, I just don't dare, the probability is too high that it will brick the car. On the other hand, I absolutely hate driving the car in its present condition and even worse, add a passenger to deliver to the airport.

Has anyone actually installed 2023.44.30.2 in a 2022 MYLR?
If so, what were the results?

This is a copy of my post today in the discussion of "high fidelity park assist" in the MS forum:
Limited testing in my 2023 MY yesterday. No question it's better than the previous version of park assist. That not saying much because the previous version was useless. With the new version, on repeat trials in dry daytime conditions I was consistently getting a stop signal or red shading at about 5 to 8 inches from a trash can placed in front of or behind the car. Sometime there was no stop signal, but there always was red shading before hitting the can. Also able to easily get to within 5-10 inches from a curb when parallel parking. Good visualizations of painted parking lines and parked cars in a parking lot. Expect this performance will degrade in rain or dark conditions.

...the probability is too high that it will brick the car. On the other hand, I absolutely hate driving the car in its present condition and even worse, add a passenger to deliver to the airport.
Maybe drive the car yourself? You can still do that, you know - you don't have to use Autopilot or Full Self-Driving Beta.

The chance of an update bricking your Tesla is exceedingly low.

That's my main issue with the driver sensing being torque-based. There's no real good comfortable way to sit and place my arm to provide the required torque without having to consciously be pushing on it. All my previous vehicles had spokes of some kind around the 5:00 and 7:00 positions (or 4:00 and 8:00) and I could rest one or both hands there comfortably. The Tesla wheel doesn't have any kind of "stop" there so I either have to prop one knee up funny and push my hand with it, or chicken wing my left elbow onto the "shelf" at the top of the door.

The best wheel for this was in my 2003 Focus. I could rest my hands perfectly on the lower spokes and drive a long time assuming I didn't need to shift.
2002_ford_focus_4dr-hatchback_zx5_i_oem_1_1280x855.jpg

I go back and forth about trying to design/print some sort of thing I can attach to the bottom spoke that has hand stops for me to rest against.
I wonder if arm length has something to do with ease of putting torque on the steering wheel when using AP. I'm 5'9" and I think I have pretty average body proportions. When using AP, I typically rest my right elbow on the center armrest and my right hand either lightly grab the bottom area of the right spoke or the section of the steering wheel between the right and bottom spoke. My grip is pretty light, just enough to keep my hand hanging on the steering wheel. Doing it this way I pretty much never get any nags using AP. Basically the only times I do get AP nags is when going through a construction area with a bunch of cones and narrowed lanes.

My mom had an Audi etron (RIP) that uses capacitive touch to sense your hand on the steering wheel. I actually found that I have to have a tighter grip on the wheel for it to detect my hand in that car than the grip I described above in my Tesla.

Reactions: walnotr