Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 AEVA Conference and EV Expo Perth November 3-5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Australian Electric Vehicle Association are holding the 2023 Conference in Perth from November 3rd to 5th, entry to see vehicle and technology displays is free-
If you have the time and adventurous spirit to drive your EV across from the East Coast please take the time to read up on how to conduct this journey in a safe and positive manner-

Last edited:
My son and I will be coming over in the X, we are leaving from Canberra. Then Euston, Port Augusta, Penong, Border Village, Caiguna, Esperence (+1 much needed rest day), Lake Grace. Four days in Perth then Kalgoorlie, Balladonia, Border Village, Ceduna, Kimba, Jamestown, Euston / Robinvale and Canberra.
Accommodation so far all booked to Perth and about half way back.
Longest distance day is actually Canberra - Euston, the Wagga Supercharger would make that a bit quicker if open by then.
The linked article above has some excellent info.
A bit over 7,000km for 4 days in Perth! Madness!
What RFID charging cards will we need in WA? Already have Evie, Chargefox and Exploren.

My son and I will be coming over in the X, we are leaving from Canberra. Then Euston, Port Augusta, Penong, Border Village, Caiguna, Esperence (+1 much needed rest day), Lake Grace. Four days in Perth then Kalgoorlie, Balladonia, Border Village, Ceduna, Kimba, Jamestown, Euston / Robinvale and Canberra.
Accommodation so far all booked to Perth and about half way back.
Longest distance day is actually Canberra - Euston, the Wagga Supercharger would make that a bit quicker if open by then.
The linked article above has some excellent info.
A bit over 7,000km for 4 days in Perth! Madness!
What RFID charging cards will we need in WA? Already have Evie, Chargefox and Exploren.
Definitely the Chargefox RFID card for Ravensthorpe and Lake Grace. That’s a good travelling plan, if any of these following sites have the planned DC switched on by the time you go through-Port Augusta, Ceduna, Norseman and Southern across, it’ll make your journey easier.

• Informative
Reactions: RareEarth
Port Augusta, Ceduna, Norseman and Southern Cross

Yes It would be nice if some of those sites were operational by then but not holding my breathe.
My main concerns are the days which involve more than one intermediate AC charging session (PA to Penong, Caiguna to Esperence, Perth to Kalgoorlie). These will require a very early departure. The X can be a thirsty beast, especially with a headwind.
On a side note, I tried to book at Norseman Apartments on the way over but it was already full. Apparently there is a large project going on around there that has used up the town's accommodation.

I'm doing the trip from Hobart. Sleeping in my Model 3 almost the whole way, with an occasion motel stop as a treat. Taking it slowly on the way there, 14 days with some side trips (5050 km), then 4-5 days in Perth and 9 days on the way back (4100 km).
Pics or it didn't happen.
Pics and it's happening.

Got back yesterday - 8909 km, 2145.3 kWh energy used, 241 Wh/km average consumption.
Really enjoyed the trip.
All the chargers we wanted to use worked. On the way back new chargers were coming on line in front of us - Merridin, Southern Cross, Streaky Bay, Wudinna and Morgan. Cooking oil charger at Caiguna worked both times but make sure you advise them of your arrival in advance, they may have run out of oil.
Staff at remote roadhouses were helpful and knew what to do when an EV driver asked about charging. Costs for charging varied - $2 per kWh at Balladonia, $50 flat fee at Caiguna, $35 flat fee at Mundrabilla, $37 flat fee at Norseman, RFDS donation at Border Village and Madura, $30 flat fee at Nullarbor Roadhouse and $0.60 per kWh at Penong Caravan Park (they are on mains).
Only major wait was at Nullarbor Roadhouse where a Model Y had just plugged in when we got there resulting in a stop of about 4 hours (power was fluctuating a lot increasing charge time). While the other car was charging we plugged in to a caravan outlet, didn't make much difference but every little bit helps.
For those using a Juice Booster, if the site requires you to limit current (eg Border Village <=20A) energise the JB but before plugging into the car use the button to select correct current, don't try to lower the current using the car's charging screen after plugging in. Otherwise the JB will stop with an "earth fault" error.
Car proved itself (once again) to be an excellent long distance tourer. Just have to clean it now.

IMG_20231110_190828MP_Mod.jpg