Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023.12.1 Update - Large text - Finally!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After waiting over two years for a more readable display, the geniuses at Tesla have done it again.
IMG_2345.jpg
IMG_2346.jpg

BTW, I like the idea of a "jumbo" option. It's good for these cars to adapt to a wider range of drivers than other cars can.

Just don't prejudge the "large" size option before trying it. (The increased area goes up with the square of the font height.)

I disagree with this YouTuber. The larger size is awesome on my screen. It's much easier & quicker to read, esp. the speedometer which he doesn't show in the video.
While I can't use the larger size fonts since it's not compatible with the language we use, we found the speedometer clearer, bolder and bigger without the larger size fonts.

I would agree that the font size difference isn't that great, especially in some of the areas such as the one highlighted by the OP, but I did find the larger text to be noticeably larger for the most part. And in fairness, I don't think it could get much bigger without altering some of the menu layouts. As someone who started needing reading glasses about a year ago, I do appreciate this update.

There is probably only a certain amount they could go without rebuilding the whole UI.

Make the text even bigger and it might need to take up two lines or be truncated with ellipsis added, or even worse overlap other elements.

Even if the UI could reflow like a web browser, making things change size is always very fiddly. List items like the Car Controls page would be much easier to implement than the status bar you've highlighted.

The S+X UI seems more suited to changing the size of elements and reflow than the 3+Y. Who's to say that Highland/Juniper won't standardise the UI platform more towards that; it must be a right PITA to code features twice.

That's not to say they won't improve things further for this codebase. Tesla clearly work on a work small/release fast/iterate principle.

Set it on auto and forget it ? Never have I touch those headlights in 20 years in my cars with auto.

The issue is daytime running lights don't put on your tail lights so on grey misty day you don't need full headlights to see but tail lights would help those behind you know you are there as they come up on you. Over the past 20 years, I could set my headlights to ON, and they'd come on when I started the car and turn off when I parked it. I haven't found that option in the Tesla UI. It is part of what defensive driving is all about.

If you are driving using FSDb, your car may be making illogical lane changes with minimal or no signaling, so having tail lights announcing your presence to approaching-from-rear vehicles is another part of defensive driving.

(Although one could argue using FSDb is the antithesis of defensive driving since your car is very appropriately referred to as Ego in the release notes and is far more egocentric in its driving patterns than I am, not appearing to care about defensive driving cues for those behind it. Ego turns the lights to auto in order for the cameras to be able to see ahead. It doesn't give a flying eff if others can see it. Ego/Tesla clings to the theory "if the car behind me hits me it is that vehicle's fault" therefore random deacceleration, random lane changes, late merging and optional signaling don't really matter. With that attitude towards defensive driving, why would the Tesla make the car being visible to those behind it an optional use of the taillights? In my opinion, use of FSDb should AUTOMATICALLY turn on the headlights and taillights in order to give the other cars on the road a fighting chance to avoid hitting EGO. As users, we all acknowledge FSDb is not the best driver on the road, it is time for Tesla to do the same.)

Set it on auto and forget it ? Never have I touch those headlights in 20 years in my cars with auto.
There are plenty of times I want to manually turn on my lights. In many states, they are required to be on when the wipers are on and they do not always do that (side note - they used to automatically come on when the wipers did but that capability was taken away some time in 2021) as well as if it's foggy, but not dark enough for the lights to come on.