Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X front doors difference versus 2021 Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I have a 2021 Model X and the auto-opening, auto-closing, soft-closing and auto-locking on the driver and front passenger doors work perfectly.

I just received delivery of my 2022 Model X and SO much appears to have changed with these doors.

On the 2022 Model X:
a) Auto-Opening (when you approach the vehicle with your logged in phone or key fob) works about HALF the time
b) Auto-Closing (when the door is open and you walk away from the vehicle at the door closes for you) has NEVER worked
c) Soft-Closing (when you push an open door lightly towards the vehicle and the vehicle essentially takes the door and lightly closes it the rest of the way for you) has NEVER worked
d) Auto-Locking ALWAYS works

For those of you with 2022 Model Xs, is this just the way the driver and front passenger doors work now? Seems like a pretty huge downgrade to me for such an expensive vehicle, but maybe I'm missing something.

And for the record, I do have the same door settings set on both vehicles...Walk-Away Door Lock and Walk-up Unlock are both set to ON on both vehicles.

Any input here is appreciated!

I am wondering ( just wondering ) if all these issues with many of the models are due to component replacements ( due to supply chain constraints) and Tesla engineers having to write software code essentially almost as a patch to incorporate the new component's functionality into the existing software. Often there's not enough time ( delivery pressure /quarterly shipments) to test everything and all the requisite use cases. My rationale is - why otherwise most of these issues are cropping up now in the newer 2021 and 2022 models- because the earlier models had all these features working fairly well

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
So, I have a 2021 Model X and the auto-opening, auto-closing, soft-closing and auto-locking on the driver and front passenger doors work perfectly.

I just received delivery of my 2022 Model X and SO much appears to have changed with these doors.

On the 2022 Model X:
a) Auto-Opening (when you approach the vehicle with your logged in phone or key fob) works about HALF the time
b) Auto-Closing (when the door is open and you walk away from the vehicle at the door closes for you) has NEVER worked
c) Soft-Closing (when you push an open door lightly towards the vehicle and the vehicle essentially takes the door and lightly closes it the rest of the way for you) has NEVER worked

For those of you with 2022 Model Xs, is this just the way the driver and front passenger doors work now? Seems like a pretty huge downgrade to me for such an expensive vehicle, but maybe I'm missing something.

And for the record, I do have the same door settings set on both vehicles...Walk-Away Door Lock and Walk-up Unlock are both set to ON on both vehicles.

Do you have multiple profiles or one profile with Easy Entry? Make sure your preferences for door opening etc are identical in all your profiles, particularly Easy Entry. If you are using Easy Entry, that profile is in play when you approach the car as well as when you exit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dcam
Folks that took delivery in 2016/2017 had issues that took years to work through.. hence your 2021 is ‘perfect’. Thanks to folks like you and your dedication to going to the service repeatedly over the next 2 years for all the issues, the 2024 X will also be ‘perfect’.. thanks in advance
🤣🤣🤣

You know, I think my goal in all this is, if this is just the way 2022 Model X doors are supposed to work, then I would like to try and get from Tesla written documentation that features that were on the 2021 Model X (auto-close, soft close, etc) have been officially REMOVED on the 2022 Model X. I'm very frustrated, but okay if that's the case. I just want to at least inform the community of these changes so people know what to expect when purchasing a Model X. By the way, my service appt has been booked for Tuesday. Fingers crossed my doors are actually acting abnormally and they can fix them.

🤣🤣🤣

You know, I think my goal in all this is, if this is just the way 2022 Model X doors are supposed to work, then I would like to try and get from Tesla written documentation that features that were on the 2021 Model X (auto-close, soft close, etc) have been officially REMOVED on the 2022 Model X. I'm very frustrated, but okay if that's the case. I just want to at least inform the community of these changes so people know what to expect when purchasing a Model X. By the way, my service appt has been booked for Tuesday. Fingers crossed my doors are actually acting abnormally and they can fix them.
Your car is broken. But if you would like to fix it, you can open a ticket in the Tesla app on your phone, any time of the day or night.

Hmmm I experience this somewhat but I tend to have a key fob on me when I drive my car so I’ve noticed the auto opening working almost every time (that I can remember anyways). I notice that it works 50% when I only have my phone and no key fob. Doors overall seem “heavier” than my 2018. I just thought they need to break in so figured I’d wait it out to see if it improves. I only have 265 miles on my car. I hope they do. Def following this thread.

On the 2022 Model X:

a) I don't use this function but it worked every time we tried.
b) There is NO Walk Away Auto-Close function setting that I can see at least on my X.
c) Was never be the case on my X. I don't have to slam the doors but have to close them nearly all way in and doors will do the rest.
d) Walk away auto lock is always working

On the 2022 Model X:

a & b) I have these turned off in our old and new one.
c) this worked 100% of the time.
d) works always.

a & b) I have these turned off in our old and new one.
c) this worked 100% of the time.
d) works always.
Those are my settings and experience also. Auto-opening seems like you are just asking for a failure that will result in your door opening into a wall, shopping cart, etc. Auto closing will close on your leg if you have it somewhat out of the car. So these two are great for demos, but in real-life to me not desirable.

Soft Close always works for me. And it makes me mad when I drive the 3 and come back to find the door did not close and lock when I pushed it shut and walked away.

Auto unlock in the X always worked for me also. But, I am not sure if this is because I carried the X fob with me. On the 3 the optional fob we have works just as well, but the phone-based unlock works about 95% of the time.

Those are my settings and experience also. Auto-opening seems like you are just asking for a failure that will result in your door opening into a wall, shopping cart, etc. Auto closing will close on your leg if you have it somewhat out of the car. So these two are great for demos, but in real-life to me not desirable.

Soft Close always works for me. And it makes me mad when I drive the 3 and come back to find the door did not close and lock when I pushed it shut and walked away.

Auto unlock in the X always worked for me also. But, I am not sure if this is because I carried the X fob with me. On the 3 the optional fob we have works just as well, but the phone-based unlock works about 95% of the time.
We have an X and 3 as well. I only use my iPhone for both and it locks/unlocks 100% of the time.

Reactions: DelPhonic1