Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Roadster Stereo upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Roadster 2.5 with a 2DIN Alpine IVA-W520R.

Anyone have a recommendation on a drop-in replacement for that stereo?
I would like something with Android Auto and to be able to run Waze.

Are there any features tied to the Roadster that will be lost?

Is the boot logo flashable?

Nuttin nuh nuh...

181936270_486915262755608_4704118903867899764_n.png

The only thing that screams Tesla on that headunit, is the logo when it starts. It looks aftermarket as is.

It plays DVD's, but only when parked. Who uses DVD's?!?
It plays FM radio, but there is nothing but DAB+ in Norway.
It has a bluetooth handsfree, but it's useless while driving.
It has navigation but the maps are from 2012 and obsolete.

So what good reason is there to keep it? It can stay in a shelf and I'll install it again if you in the future buy the car for a Million Dollar :cool:
Why wait? I'll sell it now for 1 Million USD 🥳

Reactions: IslandRoadster
I must concur. I want to drive the car for fun and I want to climb back up a decade in audio. I can keep the old parts for the future. I still have my old headlights. I am ready to put this on the project list but far from moving out on it. There are lots of articles on getting into the old radio and wiring, to use for ref. I initially see the Kenwood DNX6990HD, must also replace rear camera, cabling? Replacement of Alpine IVA-NAV-10. The (dare I say it?) Alpine ILX-702D, and for some reason I made a note to NOT do the JVC KW-NT500HDT, not sure why now. So any assistance in this area would be nice, any current project references, and that would help us move this along. Tahnks.

Mucho Thanks to @IslandRoadster as he installed a JVC Kenwood DMX907S in #609 . I am really pleased with it. I have an Android phone and I'm amazed at how powerful this head works with Android Auto. This is my first experience with Android Auto so nice to see all my favourite apps like Amazon Music, Plug Share, Google Maps etc. pop up seamlessly ....makes for a very nice driving experience. My phone works great and it this head unit even has a nice back up camera. The sound is excellent!!

My only issue with Android Auto is it seems to insist on connecting wirelessly for music...doesn't allow a bluetooth connection for music?? It won't work if you cripple cellular data and all the while for some reason it's using a little bit of cellular data even while playing my offline music. My email feed cuts out until I stop the car and turn off the key. The head unit acts as an access point to connect to the phone to use any apps it has installed. Still working on it....might be a configuration problem??

Reactions: IslandRoadster
Mucho Thanks to @IslandRoadster as he installed a JVC Kenwood DMX907S in #609 . I am really pleased with it. I have an Android phone and I'm amazed at how powerful this head works with Android Auto. This is my first experience with Android Auto so nice to see all my favourite apps like Amazon Music, Plug Share, Google Maps etc. pop up seamlessly ....makes for a very nice driving experience. My phone works great and it this head unit even has a nice back up camera. The sound is excellent!!

My only issue with Android Auto is it seems to insist on connecting wirelessly for music...doesn't allow a bluetooth connection for music?? It won't work if you cripple cellular data and all the while for some reason it's using a little bit of cellular data even while playing my offline music. My email feed cuts out until I stop the car and turn off the key. The head unit acts as an access point to connect to the phone to use any apps it has installed. Still working on it....might be a configuration problem??
I actually prefer Alpine from a feature standpoint, but the JVC has a slightly better user interface. The Alpine I originally installed got lost (stolen?) in transit to Alpine for diagnosis of a potential issue. Carl’s son preferred JVC. So for the replacement, we went with JVC.

I think there’s a setting in the head unit, as opposed to your phone, where you can turn off the wireless connection. It will only connect when you plug it in if you disable that feature in the JVC.

Reactions: Retiredeh