Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 refresh Model S sightings, steering yoke vs. steering wheel discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we’ve seen enough credible evidence indicating that the yoke is NOT CERTAIN to be OBLIGATORY on the 2021 updates. This is a good thing. (And, I’d be fine if Tesla wants to make it a purchaser design choice.)

Interestingly, I haven’t seen anyone arguing a functional advantage (eg, for control of the Tesla S/X, and no, I don’t mean seeing over the dash, which we all do just fine right now) from the yoke. Anyone?

Reactions: TessP100D
Well - the "wheel" can be smaller and you can still see the dash display. The dash display could be a bit bigger (not sure it is).
The S and X wheel is a bit much for smaller (usually female) hands.
There is a functional, ergonomic problem for wheels and center displays. Not sure the Yoke is the right fix, but there is a problem.
Mostly it is there because a child-like CEO wants it....

• Disagree
Reactions: TessP100D and foos
I think we’ve seen enough credible evidence indicating that the yoke is NOT CERTAIN to be OBLIGATORY on the 2021 updates. This is a good thing. (And, I’d be fine if Tesla wants to make it a purchaser design choice.)

Interestingly, I haven’t seen anyone arguing a functional advantage (eg, for control of the Tesla S/X, and no, I don’t mean seeing over the dash, which we all do just fine right now) from the yoke. Anyone?

Seeing the screen. In the current S I more or less need to have the steering wheel at the top setting and still don’t see the entire screen If I sit as I normally do.

A yoke steering wheel is literally a deal killer for me. I won't buy a Tesla with a yoke steering wheel. This rules out all new Model S and Model X vehicles most likely, as it appears that is the only available option with the refresh.

On the plus side, with a refresh, I might be able to buy a used 1 or 2 year old model for a much better price in the not too distant future. I've got a 2014 S P85 and a 2020 3 Performance, and the range still isn't quite cutting it. Would like to get a 400 mile range model. The long range S (pre-refresh) is pretty close to that. I might would trade up my P85 for a long range S pre-refresh (thought I would miss some of the classic features like large frunk, pano roof, and grandfathered into free connectivity and supercharging).

I'm also considering my next Tesla being a Cybertruck, but if they go yoke on that too, it's out.

I do wonder if it will be possible to retrofit a normal steering wheel on the new models via 3rd party vendor. That would be a potential solution.

A yoke steering wheel is literally a deal killer for me. I won't buy a Tesla with a yoke steering wheel. This rules out all new Model S and Model X vehicles most likely, as it appears that is the only available option with the refresh.

On the plus side, with a refresh, I might be able to buy a used 1 or 2 year old model for a much better price in the not too distant future. I've got a 2014 S P85 and a 2020 3 Performance, and the range still isn't quite cutting it. Would like to get a 400 mile range model. The long range S (pre-refresh) is pretty close to that. I might would trade up my P85 for a long range S pre-refresh.

I'm also considering my next Tesla being a Cybertruck, but if they go yoke on that too, it's out.

I do wonder if it will be possible to retrofit a normal steering wheel on the new models via 3rd party vendor. That would be a potential solution.

Understand if it is just not for you. But why make such a drastic decision without even trying the yoke?

Reactions: Pricedm
If there is no option for a full steering wheel I’m going to Lucid. Or back to Mercedes. Or anywhere but Tesla. I love my S, in my 2nd one now.

just another comment: living in NYC and parking in valet garages, the lack of a shift is ridiculous. Assuming parking attendants will be able to operate this car in a public garage setting is insane. There will be debts. There will be mishaps. There will be unknown problems.

This entire yolk concept is eggceptionally bad. (So’s the pun).

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and elguapo
If there is no option for a full steering wheel I’m going to Lucid. Or back to Mercedes. Or anywhere but Tesla. I love my S, in my 2nd one now.

just another comment: living in NYC and parking in valet garages, the lack of a shift is ridiculous. Assuming parking attendants will be able to operate this car in a public garage setting is insane. There will be debts. There will be mishaps. There will be unknown problems.

This entire yolk concept is eggceptionally bad. (So’s the pun).
I can live without a shift stick, even though I agree not having one is ridiculous (I haven't researched how it would be done without one; I hope it's clearly marked and doesn't get moved around every update). But yolk is a no go.

I still think they need to bring back the wiper stalk. After not being in rain for awhile, if it starts raining I have to stop and think about and look around for where the controls are for it, and thanks to over air updates it might be in a different place every time.

Reactions: AMPd
A lot of discussion about gear shifting without a stalk.
Perhaps this has been covered in this thread or elsewhere...
Any idea how AP & TACC will be engaged & disengaged?
Engaging is always premeditated, so less critical. Disengagement is usually a reaction to changing conditions, like braking...
Having a Model S 100D and a Model 3 now, I have to say I prefer the dedicated AP stalk on the MS. Especially for disengaging AP & TACC. I do like the scroll wheel speed control on the M3, especially because mere scrolling up & down a single click (+/- 1mph) tells AP your being attentive.

In Support of Tesla’s Yoke Steering ...
I ordered a 2021 Model S (SR), which includes Yoke Steering. At first, I was ambivalent about the new style steering. After watching relevant videos and pondering my reasoning for buying a Tesla, I’m now embracing the concept. Even Lexus (I’ve owned four) recently showcased their EV concept vehicle with yoke steering.
While I won’t know for sure until my Model S is delivered, here is why I’m looking forward to experiencing Tesla's yoke steering.
1. A key motivation in ordering a Tesla is the safety and convenience of Full Self-Driving (FSD). While still under development, FSD’s promise will likely render the steering wheel superfluous, except as a backup system or for the fun of manual driving.
2. By removing the upper portion of a standard steering wheel, yoke steering improves visibility of roads, surroundings, and vehicle instrumentation.
3. The yoke’s smaller size and flatter bottom improves leg room and affords easier vehicle entrance and exit.
4. The flatter bottom of the yoke provides a comfortable place to rest one’s hands while driving.
5. Every new car has a bit of a learning curve. I think I can master yoke steering quickly.
6. While not a significant factor, I like the look of it.
The above are a few of my thoughts. It will be interesting to see if the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has different thoughts after they finish their review.

I ordered a 2021 Model S (SR), which includes Yoke Steering. At first, I was ambivalent about the new style steering. After watching relevant videos and pondering my reasoning for buying a Tesla, I’m now embracing the concept. Even Lexus (I’ve owned four) recently showcased their EV concept vehicle with yoke steering.
While I won’t know for sure until my Model S is delivered, here is why I’m looking forward to experiencing Tesla's yoke steering.
1. A key motivation in ordering a Tesla is the safety and convenience of Full Self-Driving (FSD). While still under development, FSD’s promise will likely render the steering wheel superfluous, except as a backup system or for the fun of manual driving.
2. By removing the upper portion of a standard steering wheel, yoke steering improves visibility of roads, surroundings, and vehicle instrumentation.
3. The yoke’s smaller size and flatter bottom improves leg room and affords easier vehicle entrance and exit.
4. The flatter bottom of the yoke provides a comfortable place to rest one’s hands while driving.
5. Every new car has a bit of a learning curve. I think I can master yoke steering quickly.
The above are a few of my thoughts. It will be interesting to see if the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has different thoughts after they finish their review.
Your 2nd point is invalid as a regular steering wheel does not in any way block the view of the road. My wife is short and has the steering wheel pretty low, it does not block the road view, and a taller person will obviously not have any issues. Also it blocks your surroundings? That makes absolutely no sense. The steering wheel is in front of you, now sure how it’s blocking your “surroundings”

Your 3rd point is also invalid because we don’t know the dimensions, it may be flatter but that doesn’t mean there’s more clearance between the seat and “yoke”. The seats are a new design as is the dash so there’s no telling how much room there is.

Last edited:
Reactions: David29
Wait a sec, the first point is invalid too. FSD is still laughably far off. I am still wondering how you can use cameras with zero ability to clean themselves as the primary mechanism for external input? How about that you can't see things low down either? Are we supposed to be ok with running over a dog or road debris?

Seems like you could design a wheel to be changed at some point in time - like 10 years out - when some form of FSD is usable. But struggling every day until FSD actually works - that seems like a bad plan.

Tape up your current wheel to mimic the areas that aren't present on a yoke and drive around for a few days. Do you really want to unlearn decades of motor memory?

Good points. Sounds like you are keeping an open mind on a truly unknown issue before passing such closed judgement.

After doing my very unscientific experiment in a couple cars, I am very willing to try the time in the real world and see if I can truly overcome my last few decades of driving a traditional round wheel. This is also my first EV and I see a lot more negative "what ifs" on switching to an EV based on my habits and learned issues - but I am jumping in and trying.

Here is a new video of a walk around of the new Plaid S in the wild wearing Arachnid wheels.

And finally a clear shot of the rear end:

Plaid S rear.png

Last edited:
Reactions: petergy
Yes they appear to be center lock wheels. Unless they are just being covered up by a cap. 265 / 35 ZR 21 tires. With those wheels, it definitely looks like curb rash is going to be a higher probability.

View attachment 650994
That's definitely a cap. 5 spokes come off the cap for a 5 point hub. Wouldn't make sense to change the hub for a different rim type.

Reactions: AMPd