Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.40.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tested it on freeway this morning, and for the first time, the correct speed (55mph) was displayed all the way. Definitely happy about that! The signs also showed up in the on-screen visualization like they were supposed to. Didn't notice any phantom braking, but that would require more testing. There was one hiccup where 'take control immediately' popped up just as I came to a stop at a light. But I just flipped A/P back on and continued. Not sure what that was.

I also noticed that I no longer had to hit 'allow' after I typed my pin for 'pin to drive'. That was nice. Has anyone noticed a bump in acceleration responsiveness off the line? I definitely felt a difference this morning on the way to work. It was always responsive, but now, it takes even less pedal travel for it to get up to speed.

Has anyone noticed a bump in acceleration responsiveness off the line? I definitely felt a difference this morning on the way to work. It was always responsive, but now, it takes even less pedal travel for it to get up to speed.
Installed the update last night and was not able to take the car out to test. I will do some driving today and see if I can tell a difference in the accelerator's responsiveness. Looking forward to getting proper speed limits on highways now. On the last 2 updates that had speed sign detection on city streets I noticed that on some non-highway roads, but roads with high speed limits, like 65mph, those speed limit signs were typically further away from the road because there is a pull over shoulder and the car would not detect these signs. Wondering now that highway sign recognition is added, if these non-highway types of signs will now be detected? Not sure if sign detection was based on speed or how far the sign is from the road.

I have noticed that in the last few releases (including this one) that what I might have attributed to 'phantom braking' are now generally more closely tied to observable explanations. I don't know whether this is because of an actual behavioral change in the car or just because I've been more keenly looking out for "wait, why?", but I have observed the following unghostly possible causes for 'pantom braking':

- Vehicle ahead putting a wheel over the lane line
- Pedestrian near the roadway or moving toward it
- Bicyclists, both in cross-traffic or in the shoulder
- Crosstraffic vehicle ahead (e. g. from a driveway or interection) nosing toward but not quite into the lane
- A comically stereotypical aluminium trash-can-lid rolling across the road on its rim

In the case of the pedestrians, in one occurence one person waling alongside the road gave a light push to another, toward the road (not in a 'shoving them into traffic' way, more an 'oh, you' conversational way); my car decelarated as the person took a compensatory half-step onto the curb to regain eir balance. I was grateful for this as it gave me time to consciously decide whether to swerve away or brake even more.

Agreed. My son and wife both love to connect their phone to play their music while I'm driving. Of course, my phone will always ring when this happens then I have to be the guy in the Tesla holding a phone to his ear (or close to my face when speakerphone is enabled) while he's driving! Would love the option to keep my phone connected for calls while they have theirs connected for music.
We had a Ford over 5 years ago and you could have two phones connected via Bluetooth at once. Hard to believe Tesla doesn't have that functionality yet.

Saw some reports of stopping for intersections being smoother, but in my experience stopping for stop signs on local roads on TACC is still quite rough... I tested with a few stop signs yesterday and it very much still isn't something I'm comfortable using if there are cars behind me

Elon says this update eliminates phantom braking. Can anyone comment?

Given it has multiple, entirely different, causes, my comment is...

dubious.jpg

(that said- apart from the wrong speed limit braking, I VERY rarely experience unexpected braking despite like 20,000 miles on AP/FSD....so I'm probably the wrong one to ask how much better it has gotten)

Installed the update last night and was not able to take the car out to test. I will do some driving today and see if I can tell a difference in the accelerator's responsiveness. Looking forward to getting proper speed limits on highways now. On the last 2 updates that had speed sign detection on city streets I noticed that on some non-highway roads, but roads with high speed limits, like 65mph, those speed limit signs were typically further away from the road because there is a pull over shoulder and the car would not detect these signs. Wondering now that highway sign recognition is added, if these non-highway types of signs will now be detected? Not sure if sign detection was based on speed or how far the sign is from the road.
Noticed that the accelerator felt a lot more punchy! Not sure if it was measurable, but I felt it for sure. Speed limit sign detection was much improved, especially on city streets where the posted sign was pretty far from the actual road (like on roads that have shoulders). Those city speed signs and the highway speed signs were all detected, I didn't notice any misses on today's drive. So all-in-all a good improvement.

Noticed that the accelerator felt a lot more punchy! Not sure if it was measurable, but I felt it for sure. Speed limit sign detection was much improved, especially on city streets where the posted sign was pretty far from the actual road (like on roads that have shoulders). Those city speed signs and the highway speed signs were all detected, I didn't notice any misses on today's drive. So all-in-all a good improvement.

I can confirm the acceleration responsiveness has improved. Add the freeway speed sign update and the pin-to-drive improvement, and this download is already a home run!

Last edited:
Large highways and interstates its working as advertised for me. Smaller state Hwy...not so much.
Same here in South TX. Highway/Freeway Speed Limit sign detection of all speeds I’ve encountered work fine. However on County Roads or Farm Roads 2020.40.3 still ignores 65MPH or higher. Same road but 60MPH or lower it displays like normal. Yes I do realize the release notes say local roads and highways, so waiting for it to say all roads I guess.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Saw some reports of stopping for intersections being smoother, but in my experience stopping for stop signs on local roads on TACC is still quite rough... I tested with a few stop signs yesterday and it very much still isn't something I'm comfortable using if there are cars behind me
Agree, plus in my experience the car still stops to soon so most of the intersections I have to edge forward.

It also makes it easier for hackers to guess the code, and therefore less secure.
Tesla could always change the PIN to a 6 digit code, add a lockout feature after a set number of failed attempts.

As of now, with multi-factor authentication you would have to be in possession of one of the card keys or a phone that is logged in and authenticated to the Tesla account before you could activate the PIN to drive routine, attempt to crack the current 4 digit PIN.

Last edited: