Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I for one hope there is no HUD for M3. Maybe later but they need to keep the "hubris" out of mind for now and work on meeting production demands. Keep it simple(by Tesla standards).
It is part of the strategy to reduce costs. A HUD is cheaper than a wired, multicomponent dash. In addition, it allows other features in the dash (eg air flow), and is very malleable as can be updated easily OTA.
PS - It also simplifies the build.

I, on the other hand, don't believe HUD will ever show up in the Model S. I think it would take a fairly major redesign of the whole upper dash area without it looking like an aftermarket add on and this would be too big a distraction from Model 3 ramp up. I believe HUD will show up first on Model 3.

But, I could be very wrong...

Mike

Yeah, they will redesign the whole dash area. Count on it. They will bring the HUD to the S/X first. This is consistent with previous guidance, previous history, and logic. In fact that is why I continue to be osborned on buying a new S. I need a 100D with HUD/interior redesign. I keep moving the goalposts...

HUD = driver assist. No need for HUD in full self driving. So I don't see why Tesla needs an HUD at all except maybe to watch movies??

I suspect we are 3-5 years away from self driving being common. That is essentially the life of a car at this point. So it will be a cool feature, and it is "needed" since they clearly didn't bother to design in a cluster on the model 3.

Included in the Bloomberg article are two charts. One forecasts Tesla battery cost in $/Kwh over next four years with the cost forecast for various competitors. I don't know if what is shown is reasonable for other companies shown, but does anyone on the forum believe that Ford, starting from nothing at start of 2017 will have batteries only $20 more per Kwh than Tesla by 2020? That seems ludicrous and makes me wonder who came up with the projection and how.

A second chart shows projected ramp up of battery demand over the next 7 years. The chart shows lower and slower ramp of batteries used for energy storage over that period than seems likely to me. Does anyone watching how TE is likely to open up market for battery energy storage in coming years agree?

The problem for Ford is both cost and supply. They are merely following GM's footsteps and using the LG's anticipated pricing for 2020. The problem for them is that they need to chip in quite a few billions of dollars in order to expand the supply to have any meaningful volume of BEVs. And once that conversion is in full flight, their ICE side has a lot of stranded assets.

In fact that is why I continue to be osborned on buying a new S. I need a 100D with HUD/interior redesign. I keep moving the goalposts...

You are missing out. My brand new S 90D is better in almost every way than my previous P85D and way better than my previous P85+.

(Had the stock gone up more than it has quicker than it has, maybe that would've been a new P100D... :))

Mike

Reactions: FredTMC and Drax7
Yeah, they will redesign the whole dash area. Count on it. They will bring the HUD to the S/X first.
Absolutely. And, by the way, note the hire from Volvo. (Side note, Volvo has been my long time favorite for cool, simple, 21st century, yet luxurious and gorgeous interior design, so YAY!)

I bet there is a complete redesign of the interior of Models S and X in the works, with more "European like" luxury and the HUD. It may come on S first and X a bit later, but I also bet it comes before M3 release. Expect a surprise event later this year!

It is part of the strategy to reduce costs. A HUD is cheaper than a wired, multicomponent dash. In addition, it allows other features in the dash (eg air flow), and is very malleable as can be updated easily OTA.
PS - It also simplifies the build.

Certainly that makes sense from a cost standpoint long-term. However there are R&D costs, testing and implementation in the short-term that make me think a $35,000 car on a tight timetable isn't the place they will start with it.

We haven't seen the finalized interior yet so maybe that's why? I could be very wrong here.

Absolutely. And, by the way, note the hire from Volvo. (Side note, Volvo has been my long time favorite for cool, simple, 21st century, yet luxurious and gorgeous interior design, so YAY!)

I bet there is a complete redesign of the interior of Models S and X in the works, with more "European like" luxury and the HUD. It may come on S first and X a bit later, but I also bet it also comes before M3 release. Expect a surprise event later this year!
Anders Bell of Volvo only started in December. I'm sure any design they've had in mind for the S or X before the '3' reveal is already done and won't be attributed to Anders.

Couldn't read the article without registering. :\

Here is the relevant stuff
  • Model 3 design details show or imply specific innovations that demonstrate Tesla is strongly favoring simplicity and manufacturability - very good news for Tesla investors.

Innovation Two: Display

At the Model 3 unveiling, we were treated to a most unusual dashboard display - none. The Model 3 dashboard has nothing on it - no controls, no gauges, not even AC vents! All the Model 3 controls were on a single, large touch screen, suspended in space above the center console. But what we saw isn't what we'll get.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has tweeted that Model 3 will have a more exotic user interface than what was shown at the Model 3 unveiling event.

DLP - Digital Cinema In Your Car

DLP (Digital Light Processing) is a technology developed by Texas Instruments (NYSE:TI) that uses arrays of micro-mechanical mirrors, each roughly the size of a red blood cell, to generate and project images. If you go to a cinema and watch a "digital movie", you will experience DLP technology. In the last several years, DLP technology has been applied to smaller, less costly image projection systems, including automotive Head Up Displays and even cell phones.

By removing the conventional instruments, and even the air conditioning duct work from the dashboard, Tesla has created the room needed to install an exceptional head up display or HUD in Model 3. With a HUD, the driver essentially looks into the optical system and sees a virtual image focused in space several tens of feet ahead of the car.

But the field of view of most HUD displays is limited. To achieve a wide field of view - a large, compelling image for the driver - a large aperture optical system is required. By removing everything else from the dash, Tesla has made room for very large HUD optics, enabling a compelling display.

It should be appreciated that the cost of the HUD is mostly in the display generating components - the DMD (Digital Micromirror Device), illumination source, drive electronics. The exit optics - that is the 'big' components - are just inexpensive, molded plastic mirrors.

The largest barrier to putting a great HUD in cars is finding the volume within the dash for the necessary large optical components. Tesla appears to be taking the innovative approach of replacing the conventional instruments with the HUD, thus freeing up the necessary volume to make a great HUD display. At the same time, what is saved by eliminating conventional instruments will largely, if not entirely offset the cost of the HUD.

The same DLP technology used for the HUD can also be used to project images on to a 'frosted' screen from the back. In fact, the same optics used to display images can be used to detect operator gestures, allowing an interactive touch screen to be implemented on an inert piece of frosted glass without any wiring. In other words, the touch screen shown in the Model 3 at the unveiling could be implemented using the same imaging technology as the HUD with nothing more than a piece of frosted glass or plastic positioned in front of the dashboard.

Digital Light Processing - the same technology that projects digital movies in theaters - can also be used for automotive head up displays, and to implement interactive touch screens on inert surfaces. Tesla's unusual dashboard arrangement in Model 3 appears optimized to utilize DLP image projection technology. - image Tesla, annotations, Author

Does anyone have any insight into the 18650 agreement with Panasonic and how much longer Tesla needs to use that form factor for S/X?

The contract was for 2014 - 2017 announced back in Oct 2013 (going off of memory) for almost 2 billion cells. So this year should be the last year of the agreement.

Anders Bell of Volvo only started in December. I'm sure any design they've had in mind for the S or X before the '3' reveal is already done and won't be attributed to Anders.
Fair point, but I feel like that hire is too much of a coincidence. He could still contribute to fine tuning the design and to execution.

Last edited:
Reactions: MitchJi
At a time when President-elect Donald Trump has taken to Twitter to skewer manufacturers for moving jobs to Mexico or China, Tesla sits apart as an all-American carmaker, battery maker, and solar producer. About 95 percent of a Tesla’s components are made in the U.S. and 25,000 of the company's 30,000 employees are based there. Musk, who visited Trump recently in New York City, was named to a strategy group to advise the new President.

Tesla Flips the Switch on the Gigafactory

One interesting takeaway from this news is that by bringing cell production to the U.S., Model 3 will likely become the world's most American-made vehicle. After Tesla brings cell production from Japan to the U.S. for its vehicles, the percentage of content in its vehicles made in the U.S. could jump from around 55% to around 90% -- a figure that would give Model 3 more American-made content than any other vehicle.

http://www.fool.com/investing/2017/01/04/teslas-gigafactory-...

Thank you for posting link to this!

Quotes of the day:

"Cell production for testing and validation began in December, but today's batteries are the first that will power Tesla products"

"The company fulfilled its promise to rapidly complete a massive battery storage project to back up the grid in California (confirmed by Bloomberg today)"

Status
Not open for further replies.