Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota, Panasonic strike battery deal in threat to Tesla

Toyota and Panasonic said Wednesday that they are launching a "feasibility study" to investigate the technological potential of batteries that use prismatic cells, which are grouped together in pouches to power electric cars.

Note. personally not sure about the Threat part ..

I don't know, can Panasonic walk and chew gum at the same time. What an inane thing to think. Why would Panasonic, the biggest makers of batteries not want to to sell them to everyone who wants to buy them. I have never heard of a company, besides Tesla, that complains about having too many customers.

Sigh....

Wondering if anyone near Fremont, the LA delivery center or that lot in Canada have time to see if the cars are getting cleared out yet? Norway continues the sales run and is over 1000 already. At this rate 2000 is in reach again.
Does anyone know the biggest sales total for Canada in a quarter? Tiny Norway is on track for over 3000 for the quarter and it seems Europe in general is doing great. Seems like 27,000 S&X is within reach and seemingly higher.

People who are persistently short (TSLA or others) are sick people, they choose to look at the world from negative lenses, and wish for every possible disaster to happen to others and the world just so that they can make a few bucks. Some people are just naturally evil. Sad part of humankind.
or... they see the stock shoot up $7B in market cap because a couple of videos were posted with $10m worth of cars in a parking lot... and they think... "that's just silly"

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand
Any news on semi sales. I thought Fred was estimating about 1500 to 2200 sales. Would that be year one production?

Interesting that they have announced sales to all the biggest shippers except UPS and FedEx. Pepsi used to be the third largest shipping company by volume.

Not really "new". He's been spreading essentially these same "insights" for years, enticing others to join him in setting up losing short positions in TSLA. As I've said before, he doesn't get it. He's used to evaluating established companies in stable industries on a quarterly basis. Judging the long-term potential of an innovative young company in the process of disrupting long established capital intensive industries is beyond his pay grade. He should stick to buying or shorting companies in situations he better understands.

Dearest sir,
I just have to say this.
Once again, you observe the muck and fray and then graciously and honorably express the most charitable, wise, non-patronizing, insightful but still open-minded position imaginable.
Thanks for being an absolute scholar and gentleman.

Dearest sir,
I just have to say this.
Once again, you observe the muck and fray and then graciously and honorably express the most charitable, wise, non-patronizing, insightful but still open-minded position imaginable.
Thanks for being an absolute scholar and gentleman.

Thanks. It's part of my upbringing. As you seem to have surmised, I try not to publicly ascribe nefarious ulterior motives to seemingly suspicious characters. Although I may leave subtle hints that inspire others to deduce that the emperor may not be wearing any clothes.

Not really "new". He's been spreading essentially these same "insights" for years, enticing others to join him in setting up losing short positions in TSLA. As I've said before, he doesn't get it. He's used to evaluating established companies in stable industries on a quarterly basis. Judging the long-term potential of an innovative young company in the process of disrupting long established capital intensive industries is beyond his pay grade. He should stick to buying or shorting companies in situations he better understands.

I was joking Curt

Hopefully they form a committee to study the feasibility. I find committees help move things along faster. It will help them catch up to Tesla.

I think that would be wise. Toyota will have to get cracking to meet their goal of 1M combined EV and fuel cell vehicles by 2030.:rolleyes:

Toyoda said the leading Japanese automaker will aim to sell a total of 5.5 million next-generation green vehicles — including 4.5 million hybrid vehicles and plug-in hybrids and 1 million cars with electric vehicle and fuel cell technologies — by 2030, to reach 50 percent of all sales in that year. The company expects to sell 1.47 million HVs and PHVs during this calendar year.
Toyota and Panasonic boost alliance to develop batteries for electric vehicles and other green cars | The Japan Times

• Funny
Reactions: Lessmog
People who are persistently short (TSLA or others) are sick people, they choose to look at the world from negative lenses, and wish for every possible disaster to happen to others and the world just so that they can make a few bucks. Some people are just naturally evil. Sad part of humankind.

I think it is true that some people who hold short positions in TSLA are awful. TMC has certainly seen its fair share of sick trolls and vengeful shorts over the years. When money and ego are on the line, people’s worst aspects will often surface.

I see that things have gotten a bit heated today, so my general comment to the community is this:

* Negative perspectives on Tesla are not in of themselves “trolling”. Trolling requires the intent of inducing emotional distress or disruption on a person or community. In plain English: pissing people off for entertainment. Glibness and smugness will generally give away a troll.

* There is nothing wrong with being incorrect, or admitting error. I have made plenty of incorrect predictions in the past few years, for example, believing that Model X would be easy to bring to production because it shares a platform with Model S, and betting on Mobileye rather than nVidia. The future is unknowable and we are all subject to the fog of war.

I personally do not believe that holding Tesla stock will result in quick riches in the near term. There is still a tremendous amount of difficult work required to get Model 3 to the 300-400k/year level, and I expect difficulty with the Semi and Model Y as well. For some perspective, Honda sells 300-400k Civics in the United States each year, and about the same number of Accords and CR-Vs. For Tesla to quickly match the output of a company like Honda, enormous work is required.

My expectation is that it may take Tesla between 3 and 5 years to demonstrate a path to full potential, barring unforeseen events or difficult macro. May fortune be with the investors.

You gotta thank these shorts. Discounted TSLA shares before mass Model 3 deployment.

1/2 the price of Model S, 10x the volume of Model S. What should the stock price move be? At least 5x no?

In any case, don't have beef with short. I only have beef with people who pretend to be short and somehow never lose money in their AUM when reporting. I call these "pretend shorts"

Then there are the multiple accounts who are just spewing short message with no skin in the game. There should be a verification step for shorts before they post otherwise their name should have a "questionable short" tag beside them.. Like a dated signature of their account statement with the stock short on display

Reactions: Manton
...I personally do not believe that holding Tesla stock will result in quick riches in the near term. There is still a tremendous amount of difficult work required to get Model 3 to the 300-400k/year level, and I expect difficulty with the Semi and Model Y as well. For some perspective, Honda sells 300-400k Civics in the United States each year, and about the same number of Accords and CR-Vs. For Tesla to quickly match the output of a company like Honda, enormous work is required.

My expectation is that it may take Tesla between 3 and 5 years to demonstrate a path to full potential, barring unforeseen events or difficult macro. May fortune be with the investors.

Those are my thoughts, too.

Whatever revenue exists will be spoken for for the next several years - there won't be any net profit. Expanding the Supercharger network and building Service Centers won't come cheap (to say nothing about building new factories). Those things will have to be installed all over the world. People will want a Service Center near their home, as is now the case with most major brands. And when in place, I expect the chargers and centers to be a drain on revenue. If we're to believe that the EVs need few visits to the doctor, how will TESLA keep the Service Center lights on and pay the staff? That money will come from the margin on car sales - the question is, "How much will that be?"

I expect TSLA to languish in the mid $300s for the foreseeable future, bouncing up and down as good/bad news is released. That's why I trade the shares and options and am not currently investing for the long-term.

Toyota, Panasonic strike battery deal in threat to Tesla

Toyota and Panasonic said Wednesday that they are launching a "feasibility study" to investigate the technological potential of batteries that use prismatic cells, which are grouped together in pouches to power electric cars.

A *feasibility study* to investigate the *potential* of prismatic cells. Oy. Tesla looked at this several years ago and went "nope, cylindrical is better". This is a sign of Toyota going nowhere.

Allright. Now explain to me why I don't know what I am talking about.
I already wrote a very long post about it right under those words, explaining why deflation is terrible! We absolutely do not want an economy with a deflationary currency, and robots and AI don't change that, and I explained why in that post.

It's actually something which isn't understood by a lot of people, and which I used to not understand, so no shame in not understanding it until you've researched it.

Did the mods delete the post or something? Maybe moved it to the macro thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.