Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think many of us are getting hung up on TE margins to date, as I've heard these low margins repeated quite a bit.

I'm not sure it makes sense to suggest that TE will be a low contributor based on margins to date. Margins to date reflect low volume production, one-off projects and 2170s specially sourced from Panasonic outside the GGF. Low margins are not surprising to me.

Looking ahead, the GGF is now producing cells. Packs are being assembled with a high degree of automation. All 2017 TE products will be GGF-sourced and benefit from all these factors and economies of scale. Even if margins are 5% now, there's nothing stopping Tesla from releasing 2017 guidance re: TE margins "approaching 25% by Q3" or something. They've certainly done that with cars and there's definitely precedent for Tesla starting very slow and low to negative margin and then ramping up to profitability quick. See the X - it probably had negative to 5% margins all the way through 16Q2 and suddenly are probably at 20%-25% (per guidance).

Tesla knows how to make margins once the kinks are worked out and I expect nothing less from TE, especially since the GGF and all processes were developed from the ground up by Tesla. They aren't re-working a factory (Fremont) or building a car without ease of manufacturing in mind (S and X). I think TE and the Model 3 together will represent a new era in manufacturing efficiency for Tesla once it's all ramped up.

The shoe I can't see and am waiting for is larger scale and greater number of TE projects. Currently announced projects are nice " demonstration of use" projects, but, at most, equate to tens of millions of revenue for a $10billion company. If production is scaling and some of the Giga TE production projections are accurate for 2017, I would like to see larger scale "relationship" announcements with large utilities or even countries to absorb some of the capacity. It's going to be costly to sell all these potential power packs 1-2-10 at a time.

Two cars never arrive simultaneously at a four way stop for computers that detect and process changes at the millisecond level. This is strictly only a human issue due to how slow our minds work.

It would be a daily occurrence. Think about olympic medal ties. But not a hard problem to solve I think from a high level analysis anyways.

Two cars never arrive simultaneously at a four way stop for computers that detect and process changes at the millisecond level. This is strictly only a human issue due to how slow our minds work.

In the case that 4 autonomous cars that can communicate approach the "4 way stop" there wouldn't even be such a thing. 2 cars (arbitrary, but say east-west) wouldn't even slow down. North-south would completely stop and then proceed.

The surge in price is because buyers are buying just as the decline before was sellers selling. Bigger picture as long as the company is progressing the market will find whatever reasons it wants to drive SP higher, and vice versa.

Looking for a pullback on earnings is more because SP is overextended on the short term and may find an excuse to consolidate. But I am not trying to time it that micro. If we pullback I will definitely add, in fact we may pullback to 250 from 270 by the time earnings come. What I am trying to figure out is how to add if there is no pullback ala 2013(I don't think this is likely as we are not at that part of the breakout yet, but can't rule it out completely)
I think price movement reflects bargain hunters in the tech sector. It is becoming more apparent that tesla is more a tech company vs. auto company, and a utility-energy company vs. auto company. The latter is important since new funding for infrastructure rebuilding is happening. The former is from a self driving car for the roads by april!-- of course with a driver still sitting in the car...

In the case that 4 autonomous cars that can communicate approach the "4 way stop" there wouldn't even be such a thing. 2 cars (arbitrary, but say east-west) wouldn't even slow down. North-south would completely stop and then proceed.
If the cars can communicate as they approach an intersection, none of them even need to stop. They coordinate speeds to preserve momentum. No need to stop at all.

This is the only time I disagree with Neroden. I'm in the camp of expecting AI to eventually become equal to and probably much better than human drivers. (I'm not sure he's denying this in any case.)

However, Neroden mentioned one corner case that can't be solved by Tesla alone. There's always been a situation when two cars or more arrive simultaneously at a four way stop. There are rules of the road which might guide traditional programming when there is a time difference or "yield to the right" but that's when human error and behavior can still be a problem and I constantly encounter such a situation when indicating a left turn at stop. In my dotage I'm constantly barked at by my normally soft-voiced bride because I often play chicken with cars in such situations, or at least creep forward a bit, and then stop, sometimes, while the other guy may do the same. Very risky behavior even though the intent is to signal the next move!

The solution requires all automobiles to communicate with each other and, of course, that will invite hackers, and so human intervention at end use may still be needed.

Edit: Panic button activated by imminent death scream?
No offense, but I have to say, I always thought the US 4-way stop thing was one of the stupidest traffic rules ever invented. Although, I must admit, the solution (whoever got there first has the right of way) is very "American", or should I say "Darwinian". :p

Still, if anything, machines should be better than humans at monitoring which vehicle got there first, down to the millisecond. All your car needs to know is which car came before itself and it should not be confused by the multitasking of looking at all 3 directions to determine that plus everything else going on.

Reactions: madodel
I don't think any team is close... but I think basically ALL auto companies have teams working hard on it... and what I absolutely do know is Tesla is the one company that's publicized it the most... put the future of the company on the line for it... and that's it... GM doesn't constantly come out with declarations of timelines... but they absolutely are spending hundreds of millions of dollars on it... along with Toyota and VW and... and... and...

so... again, my opinion is... I don't think Tesla is in the lead... I just think they are the loudest about it and taking the most risk on the roads... the stock is highly publicized... and that combined with human's constant interest in "futuristic" concepts... Tesla is getting a lot of attention.

It's publicized mostly because unlike everyone else they have an actual product in use by actual customers. Remember reviews of M-B version of autopilot? Yea, the only reason that got to make some rounds is because how bad it sucked compared to AP1 of a year ago.

Maybe I don't know something you do, but I just don't see a realistic competitive path. Tesla can iterate a hell of a lot faster on their system because they get to do "testing in production" like any good software service development team would.

People claim that there's so much unknowns and corner cases that it'll take a long time to figure them all out. Well, yes there are and let me ask you how would anyone find out about those corner cases? Isn't that obvious that Tesla at this point is more aware than anyone else about the kinds of corner cases that are out there? Wouldn't it also not be much of a stretch to say that of anyone they're the ones who are in the best position to estimate the amount of work it'd take to solve them? They've been doing that exact thing for a few years now, solving the corner cases.

Would now be a good time to do another capital raise and start building GF2? (And maybe GF3/4, too?)

Without getting into politics but I see a "sell everything and the kitchen sink as long as you can make a buck" period coming from the fossil fuel industry. Granted, this may not last more than a couple (maybe 8?) years but still - wouldn't now be the time to intensify the race and give the carbon industry a mighty kick into the "free market"? And with $TSLA being where it is now - why not make good use of the time?

The shoe I can't see and am waiting for is larger scale and greater number of TE projects. Currently announced projects are nice " demonstration of use" projects, but, at most, equate to tens of millions of revenue for a $10billion company. If production is scaling and some of the Giga TE production projections are accurate for 2017, I would like to see larger scale "relationship" announcements with large utilities or even countries to absorb some of the capacity. It's going to be costly to sell all these potential power packs 1-2-10 at a time.
I agree, but I think it's a matter of time. There's significant resources already devoted to existing energy storage/peaker plants etc. I think the larger players will want to wait until there's solid data out there showing proof of concept, demonstrated cost savings etc before committing.

If the savings are as blindingly obvious as Elon says they are, I agree with him that TE will go ballistic. I think these small and medium sized installations will go a long way in proving to the bigger players that a lot of money can be saved by moving to a greener solution (which companies love to crow about for PR purposes). Once the big players step in, the economies of scale and unmatched pricing of Tesla will either crush the competition or drag them down to unsustainable margins - assuming Tesla can meet demand.

I don't think any team is close... but I think basically ALL auto companies have teams working hard on it... and what I absolutely do know is Tesla is the one company that's publicized it the most... put the future of the company on the line for it... and that's it... GM doesn't constantly come out with declarations of timelines... but they absolutely are spending hundreds of millions of dollars on it... along with Toyota and VW and... and... and...

so... again, my opinion is... I don't think Tesla is in the lead... I just think they are the loudest about it and taking the most risk on the roads... the stock is highly publicized... and that combined with human's constant interest in "futuristic" concepts... Tesla is getting a lot of attention.

Oh yea. I am not sure if I maybe was too oblique there. When I mentioned lip-reading, that was a reference to it being an example of a hard problem. Guess what, AI is doing that better than humans now.

Yes, to be clear I am not saying we are at March or April 2013, more like Nov or Dec 2012, awaiting the big breakout. I believe the market will anticipate 4-5 month ahead of Model 3 mass production. So if that means end of Q3, then share price should start breaking out around April-May.
Jesse,

Sorry, I am too lazy to search for your earlier post from today where you basically said there may be a pullback after the Q4 ER due to the miss. I read that post during work but did not have time to ask this...

I always thought that one of the reasons the quarterly delivery/sales announcements about 1 month ahead of ER were also useful was, that they should have a bit of a stabilizing effect for the SP. Hit or miss, this gives analysts and investors a month to re-do their projections, so the ER should not be such a shock anymore. With basically 2k cars missed and an ASP of $100k-ish (depending on S/X mix), wouldn't you expect that by now everyone has a good idea on what Q4 financials were? So should we really expect a shock?

PS: I know, I know lots of unknown moving parts, SG&A and other stuff which we can just guess from earlier comments from the company, but still... ballpark should not be a surprise.

This is the only time I disagree with Neroden. I'm in the camp of expecting AI to eventually become equal to and probably much better than human drivers. (I'm not sure he's denying this in any case.)

However, Neroden mentioned one corner case that can't be solved by Tesla alone. There's always been a situation when two cars or more arrive simultaneously at a four way stop. There are rules of the road which might guide traditional programming when there is a time difference or "yield to the right" but that's when human error and behavior can still be a problem and I constantly encounter such a situation when indicating a left turn at stop. In my dotage I'm constantly barked at by my normally soft-voiced bride because I often play chicken with cars in such situations, or at least creep forward a bit, and then stop, sometimes, while the other guy may do the same. Very risky behavior even though the intent is to signal the next move!

The solution requires all automobiles to communicate with each other and, of course, that will invite hackers, and so human intervention at end use may still be needed.

Edit: Panic button activated by imminent death scream?

This is a good example of what the crux of the argument is. One side is saying this requires some kind of sacred knowledge on the part of the machine to resolve this. The other side simply says "hey that's parking lot speeds, just start driving and because AI is so much better than humans in tactical aspects, it'll avoid collision even if the other car does something stupid".

look at all the leaps and speculation you guys are making here to justify your points... then you collectively declare @neroden incorrect and somehow that reenforces your opinions... (i'm picking on you here racer, but commenting on the general points by others in the conversation).

do you guys really think you know what you're talking about when you say GPS is a tool for automated driving?... do you understand the latencies of radio waves in the distances of geostationary orbit?... do you guys think you can actually work through the details of Tesla's implementation here on a message board in an educated way?

@larmor: what does this even mean?... "Parts of driving by humans is better for now, but feed that data into multiple supercomputers...."

it sounds like dialog from NCIS?

@racer26: "It's a big part of why Tesla's can autonomously drive in many conditions that more primitive autonomous vehicles like Google's car cannot."

racer -- is this your justification of why Tesla will achieve what Google hasn't?... because if you think Google is not capable of accomplishing what Tesla is capable of... then you are so incredibly wrong... AND MORE IMPORTANTLY... your statement is actually just wrong... Google has actually been using machine learning approaches in their implementation for years.

I won't speak for @neroden... but I'll just restate my general opinion on the subject...

much of "Automated Cars" is a sales pitch... and many of you are now convinced it's the near future... I mean duh... AI has now made our cars sentient beings... soon there will be coffee shops made only for cars so they can go have philosophical conversations about sharing a planet with humans.

guys... fully autonomous cars is hard... autopilot in planes is super easy compared to this... we are nowhere near the TV fictional reality that you think we are... and many of the timelines Elon has put on this and other subjects are getting closer... will the goal post just get moved again?... and will once again nobody give a &*$# and just continue to declare Tesla the never arriving future?
Missed you myusername...
I have not watched NCIS, so i don't know what that means. Take data as recorded by the car sensors, and GPS data, and run this through multiple simulations on supercomputers. Learn where mistakes were made and teach the machine...
Sam Harris: Can we build AI without losing control over it? | TED Talk | TED.com

Reactions: madodel
Jesse,

Sorry, I am too lazy to search for your earlier post from today where you basically said there may be a pullback after the Q4 ER due to the miss. I read that post during work but did not have time to ask this...

I always thought that one of the reasons the quarterly delivery/sales announcements about 1 month ahead of ER were also useful was, that they should have a bit of a stabilizing effect for the SP. Hit or miss, this gives analysts and investors a month to re-do their projections, so the ER should not be such a shock anymore. With basically 2k cars missed and an ASP of $100k-ish (depending on S/X mix), wouldn't you expect that by now everyone has a good idea on what Q4 financials were? So should we really expect a shock?

PS: I know, I know lots of unknown moving parts, SG&A and other stuff which we can just guess from earlier comments from the company, but still... ballpark should not be a surprise.

Again I have to reiterate that the gist of my posts today revolve around the 13 month analog setup that points to potential major breakout between now and 3-4 months from now(latter looks more likely). A small part of this analog also portends to a small pullback before this breakout, but requires SP to follow the analog to the T, which rarely happens. This pullback does fit with our current short term overextention and upcoming earnings used as an excuse. I know delivery numbers are already priced in, but since SP have rallied so much, market may use earnings to pullback anyways. But to emphasize I don't really suggest taking action on this since it is too micro, too much a gamble whether it will happen or not. Perhaps instead they preannounce blowout Q1 deliveries during earnings and we breakout instead, who knows. It is better off figuring out how to accumulate in anticipation of the 13 month breakout than to try to time a pullback that may or may not happen, IMO.

By the way, I've heard that Trump was trying to say Big League, not Bigly. Thus he may not be that dumb, just mush mouthed.

Trump has used the word repeatedly. Not just twice in the debate.

"Bigly" is an archaic adverb.

Still in Websters dictionary.

So heads up in ridiculing Trump in "mixed company."

Somehow I doubt Trump picked up the word reading Chaucer.

Status
Not open for further replies.