Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And you thought, they are generously promoting EVs for the environmental good :)
At that cheapest rate of $0.20/kwh and 3 miles/kwh for an average EV, this is more expensive than the gas costs of Toyota Prius with ~55 mpg. The Prius will cost you $2.60 for a gallon, while your utility will cost you $3.60+tax for the same 55 miles of driving.

Wait till there will be no off-peak because of more EVs. What's the rate for non-super off peak hours?

To make it actually a fair comparison, use real MPGe and MPG. In San Diego, the average gas price in the past 6 months ranged from $2.65 to $2.88. Take $2.77 as the average.

2016 Toyota Prius gets a combined MPG rating of 52.
2016 BMW i3 gets a combined MPGe of 124
2016 Nissan Leaf 30kWh gets a combined MPGe of 112
2016 Tesla Model S 60 kWh gets a combined MPGe of 99

1 gallon of gas = 33.7 kWh, as converted by MPGe rating

So the Prius, at $2.77/gallon, costs $0.053 per mile.
The i3 is 3.68 miles/kWh, or $0.054 per mile.
The Leaf is 3.32 miles/kWh, or $0.06 per mile.
The Model S 60 is 2.94 miles/kWh, or 0.068 per mile

On a 50 mile trip, that's $2.65 versus $2.70 versus $3.00 versus $3.40.

In my neck of the woods, I pay roughly $0.07/kWh at super off peak (including metering fees and taxes), which means the Model S would be $0.024/mile, or $1.20 for 50 miles.

Of course, the price of gas is extremely variable, and we would have to see the 15 year service life average cost of gas as compared to electric. Naturally, this doesn't take into account the benefits of zero emissions at the tailpipe.

RANT:

Saw this electrek article about CA Utility proposals...

Electric utilities are seeking to expand electric vehicle infrastructure with 10,000+ new charging stations in California

Here's an excerpt regarding SDG&E:
(San Diego Gas & Electric)

"The proposal also includes a special rate that incentivizes EV owners to charge their cars at times of day when clean energy is plentiful and energy prices are low.”

So, here's the Rant...

I've been on SDG&Es "EV plan" for years now.

I guess how much the $/kWh rate is for "super-off peak" (i.e. Midnight to 6am)?

Keep in mind this is the hours that you SHOULD charge your EV since the utility has the lowest demand then...

Answer: over twenty cents per kilo-watt hour. That's right!
There cheapest rate is over twenty cents!

Can you imagine what their profits are on EVs charging overnight?
It's huge. I'd love to know what their cost is but it's probably a few cents.
We are actually doing the utility a favor sinking juice overnight and we are getting gouged. Other utilities have a overnight rate that is less than ten cents.

I looked up PG&E. Is $0.12/kWh. Far more reasonable.

Not to rub it in, but PG&E also just started a program where all EV owners get a $500 rebate for each EV. Just applied myself.

The flip side for PG&E is that they charge exorbitant peak rates (2-9 pm weekdays). On the EV plan last year it was 44.5 cents/kWh in the summer and 31.3 cents/kWh in the winter.

So if you are a PG&E customer, an EV is a great choice, especially if you charge at night or from solar. Depending on usage, Powerwall 2 is also worth considering to avoid ridiculous peak rates (among other things).

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: FredTMC and neroden
That is really funny. And you really could force the issue by parking right by the venue. You might just get a bunch of one star ratings though.

Someone needs to get the word to Elon that if he needs a ride to the Convention Center I will be happy to pick him up at the airport. LOL

Tom Benson (owner of the Saints and billionaire car dealer magnate) must feel a little conflicted that his star quarterback drives a Model S:

Screenshot 2017-01-23 16.42.15.png

I wonder how many closed door meetings there will be to discuss how to continue to foil Tesla Motors from muscling in on their very lucrative turf...

Many

I've done thousands of drives for Uber, Lyft and Ride|Austin in Austin. I have driven quite a few dealers. It's interesting to study how long it takes them to reveal they're a dealer. (perhaps there have been some that haven't revealed it) Obviously I don't ruin the ride by getting all political on them... but it is still a "win" in my eyes because they're riding around in the car people want, and which they don't stock, and it's entirely possible they don't know what it's like. They need to convey the feedback up to HQ. I constructively suggest that they bring out a BEV. (hiding from them the amount that I sit on news sites and already know about all the concept cars, cancelled/delayed plans, announcements etc. etc.) And I never mention that BEVs have almost no maintenance!

If there was an event like this in Austin I'd be loving the opportunity to drive dealers around :)

Last edited:
I don't think any sane person is comparing the Model S to a Prius. That's a troll thing.

It's not a comparison as in they are similar, it's a comparison as in mathmatcially which costs more to drive, which is more reliable

Tesla cars are better in most ways to anything Toyota makes or sells but the Prius is the gold standard when it comes to reliability of a non EV.

It looks like the Nissan Leaf might be similar in reliability to the Prius. It's still too early to tell how Tesla will shake out after the they outgrow their growing pains.

As a stock holder and a consumer I want to hold Tesla to the highest standards. Reduce the repair costs, increase reliability, make a better product.

And no I'm not a troll and yes I'm sane.

Status
Not open for further replies.