Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Full autonomous driving is super difficult. This is by far the hardest technical issue Elon ever faced, much harder than landing the rocket. I think eventually Tesla will solve it, meanwhile the autopilot will improve dramatically because of their work on L5.

All the other guys (Waymo, Uber, Volvo, GM, Nvidia ...) who claim they are close to achieving full autonomous driving, probably only got 2% of the work done. The few difficult cases is 99% of the work, and it can't be solved by piling person hours.
Fortunately Tesla has/had some very smart people working on it. IIRC they figured they needed about 5-6 Billion miles driven/recorded for it to be "2-10x" safer than a person, according to youtube videos by Sterling Anderson, which is a great way to learn about how Tesla is doing autonomous. Anyone remember if those miles recorded included cars with the early sensors or is it just from the cars with the newer sensor systems?

• Informative
Reactions: ValueAnalyst
I noticed a potential loophole in TipRank's algorithm. Some analysts are taking advantage of it to improve their rank. There is an analyst who issued 104 "Buy" ratings on Apple in a few years. So his TipRank ranking is very high. But based on his bearish stance on Tesla, and a few calls on other companies, I think he is way overrated.

My point is when you see a high ranking analyst, always take it with a grain of salt. Look at how he achieved the high ranking. Look at his reasoning behind each call, you probably tell if he is intelligent and honest.

I noticed a potential loophole in TipRank's algorithm. Some analysts are taking advantage of it to improve their rank. There is an analyst who issued 104 "Buy" ratings on Apple in a few years. So his TipRank ranking is very high. But based on his bearish stance on Tesla, and a few calls on other companies, I think he is way overrated.

My point is when you see a high ranking analyst, always take it with a grain of salt. Look at how he achieved the high ranking. Look at his reasoning behind each call, you probably tell if he is intelligent and honest.
What? I can't boil trustworthiness down into a single metric to judge people by?

Morgan Stanley Predicts 10 Million Tesla Vehicles On The Road In 10 Years

Jonas- note to clients:
“With the launch of the Model 3, we forecast the Tesla car population to multiply three times by the end of 2019. It has been generations since the investment community witnessed such a high growth rate in the population of a single auto firm.”

1600x-1.png

Fortunately Tesla has/had some very smart people working on it. IIRC they figured they needed about 5-6 Billion miles driven/recorded for it to be "2-10x" safer than a person, according to youtube videos by Sterling Anderson, which is a great way to learn about how Tesla is doing autonomous. Anyone remember if those miles recorded included cars with the early sensors or is it just from the cars with the newer sensor systems?

Sterling Anderson had a speech about his autonomous research before he joined Tesla. His approach was that the self driving car keeps running in this imaginary tunnel, only react when it's interrupted. I think that's a completely wrong approach to solve autonomous driving. I can't believe Elon hired him. The vehicle should pay attention to the environment, react before it's too late. Just like how a good human driver drives.

Reactions: Ulmo
Sterling Anderson had a speech about his autonomous research before he joined Tesla. His approach was that the self driving car keeps running in this imaginary tunnel, only react when it's interrupted. I think that's a completely wrong approach to solve autonomous driving. I can't believe Elon hired him. The vehicle should pay attention to the environment, react before it's too late. Just like how a good human driver drives.

Depending on the correlation between the idea and the expression of it, that might not be such a bad approach (haven't heard the speech, so ignore this if I'm way off). The core algorithm could be operating the driving with a tunnel view while other processes watch the environment and track objects. If an object's trajectory will intersect the tunnel, the item/ event is passed along to the main driving routine based on the intersection point /time. Then the main routine reacts as needed. Pedestrian a mile ahead, no issue. Pedestrian 200 ft head, brake.

Can anyone with actual auto manufacturing experience comment on this please? Does it look like the guy is speaking truth?

upload_2017-10-4_13-35-7.png

The related article and comment source can be found here:

S3X Appeal

Add: My key point is if this guy is speaking truth (which I don't know) with respect to Dodge Ram assembly then he is saying the line is producing more than 420K/annum back in 90's with so many variations of the vehicle.

Then even when Tesla achieves the 500K rate in Fremont, that doesn't feel like a significant achievement.

Elon claimed that in the long run (automated) manufacturing capability is what will be the key competitive advantage to Tesla. That proposition looks dicey if the Dodge Ram assembly info is actually truthful.

Last edited:
Can anyone with actual auto manufacturing experience comment on this please? Does it look like the guy is speaking truth?

View attachment 251740

S3X Appeal

And how long did it take, from when it was first built, for that line to achieve the one vehicle per minute rate?

S3X Appeal
From the article:
So the question is why, with so much pressure to produce cars to meet presumed unlimited demand, is output so limited?

The author keeps asking why Tesla's factory output is limited to 25K / quarter if demand is "unlimited", utterly confusing the demand for $100K vehicles (S/X) with Model 3's demand (455K+ reservations). I don't get it at all. The whole premise is faulty.

It seems like such a fundamental mistake that I must be misreading it...

• Love
Reactions: Skryll
And how long did it take, from when it was first built, for that line to achieve the one vehicle per minute rate?

My key point is if this guy is speaking truth (which I don't know) with respect to Dodge Ram assembly then he is saying the line is producing more than 420K/annum back in 90's with so many variations of the vehicle.

Then even when Tesla achieves the 500K rate in Fremont, that doesn't feel like a significant achievement.

Elon claimed that in the long run (automated) manufacturing capability is what will be the key competitive advantage to Tesla. That proposition looks dicey if the Dodge Ram assembly info is actually truthful.

My key point is if this guy is speaking truth (which I don't know) with respect to Dodge Ram assembly then he is saying the line is producing more than 420K/annum back in 90's with so many variations of the vehicle.

Ford model T ran at that rate. Elon speaks to the base knowledge of his audience. Jobs did the same. To resounding applause. Almost like a flashlight and a... cat.

The differentiation is in labor content, step and repeat capability of the entire factory, battery costs and most importantly a development process that produces cars that people want to buy.

Reactions: erthquake
Depending on the correlation between the idea and the expression of it, that might not be such a bad approach (haven't heard the speech, so ignore this if I'm way off). The core algorithm could be operating the driving with a tunnel view while other processes watch the environment and track objects. If an object's trajectory will intersect the tunnel, the item/ event is passed along to the main driving routine based on the intersection point /time. Then the main routine reacts as needed. Pedestrian a mile ahead, no issue. Pedestrian 200 ft head, brake.

Not sure what speech you are referring to, but his talk at EM Tech in May 2016 seems like a very smart approach, they are basically turning the whole fleet into recording devices and doing machine learning. I believe that the 5-6 Billion miles driven served two purposes. First of course it's a ton of data to learn from. 2nd, it's probably got a lot of redundant data built in for liability so that safety can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt in court, the legal ramifications of this are pretty huge, so it has to be bulletproof before it rolls out to the public. In other words it seems like they probably have already pretty much got most of self-driving down, maybe that's why Anderson left, hence West coast to East coast drive scheduled for later this year. The extra 3 Billion miles or whatever is probably just to prove that the safety numbers are legit.
Interesting thing...if they haven't already hit 6 Billion miles, it should be reached in the next 6 months for sure.

Would highly recommend watching
for anyone interested in autopilot, as far as I know the plan is still the same as when Anderson was at Tesla. Going to be interesting to see how this affects the rest of auto industry, and if Tesla will end up giving away autopilot tech to other companies in order to save lives or what. In a way this is sort of like a polio vaccine or something, like the sooner you get it out there the more lives it's gonna save.

Warren Assembly (WA) is only part of the process. From: Dodge City: Chrysler’s Warren Truck Assembly Plant
WA gets the parts from Warren Stamping and engines from the Mound Road Engine plant (until it closed and they switched to Mack Avenue). Axles come from Detroit Axle down the road. Frame currently comes from Mexico (not sure on in the 90's).
So the truck was the results of five+ factories. Tesla is getting motors and packs from Sparks, so they are at two factories.

Assembly process is also different:
WA runs two paints lines, and it also runs two assembly lines, one for the cab and one for the chassis.
Post 1996, the doors were removed post painting and assembled before rejoining the cab.

Tesla is unibody, so this parallelism is not possible (well, could take doors off), but chassis, stamping, and cabin are all in house and fairly linear.
If you double the production lines then you get to 1 million vehicles a year. Or, increase automation and drop tack time on a single line.

https://www.allpar.com/corporate/factories/warren-truck.html
per: Warren Truck Assembly Plant | Hendon Publishing
2013 production was 291,500 RAM 1500 pickups
2015 production was projected at 320,000.

I agree we are unlikely to repeat a short squeeze like we saw in 2013. That time the company was tiny, short interest was 50%, shorts were caught off guard. They kept shorting more and more on the way up, then no shares for them to cover. We saw a forced capitulation. This time the short interest % is much less. They were constantly warned about the upside potential. When the rally starts, some funds will likely to sell. It's not setting up as a powerful short squeeze. I would be very happy if it turns out I am wrong.

What will drive Tesla's share price is not short squeeze, but the business development in the next 5~10 years, the future earnings.

On the technical side, the stock breaking out of a three year trading range is very significant. I expect big upside to come in the next few years.

Moving this to the General thread ....

Some of this may be semantics, but I like to separate out two distinct things -- (1) the elements of a classic short squeeze where shorts are forced to scramble to find shares and short more and more on the way up versus (2) the effects of relieving the downward pressure from excessive levels of short selling when shorts decide to cover.

In 2013 IMO there were elements of both of these. Shareholders who saw the rapid price moves as a classic short squeeze might have been tempted to sell when the share price doubled, tripled or quadrupled from 30 to 60, 90 or 120 because they expected the price to drop when the "squeeze" was over. But as it turned out, the more important force at play IMO was a relief of downward pressure from an extreme level of short selling that had caused the share price to be kept artificially low even after the Model S was delivered and was receiving glowing reviews from all corners.

To put this in context of the Model 3 era, if Tesla delivers on its Model 3 plans, we could see rapid price moves upward driven in part by short covering reducing the supply of available shares (and possibly reduced FUD), but the stock could still be a bargain based on fundamentals. I don't consider this a short squeeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.