Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Week Estimated Delivery Date: Is Tesla Committing Fraud?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On its website, if you custom build a Model 3, the "Estimated Delivery" is "Within 2 Weeks". Everyone on this forum knows that is a false representation. Tesla knows that as well.

Should Tesla change that number to 2 months? As it presently stands, Tesla is knowingly making a false representation. If someone had to rent a car for two months waiting for their car, they could sue for fraud, which may allow them to recover the cost of the rental, plus punitive damages.

On its website, if you custom build a Model 3, the "Estimated Delivery" is "Within 2 Weeks". Everyone on this forum knows that is a false representation. Tesla knows that as well.

Should Tesla change that number to 2 months? As it presently stands, Tesla is knowingly making a false representation. If someone had to rent a car for two months waiting for their car, they could sue for fraud, which may allow them to recover the cost of the rental, plus punitive damages.

Tesla will try to match you with a car that is your custom. My brother in law built his car and was contacted by Tesla saying they had a car in Que that was close same day, and he could have it by end of week. If he wanted one exact that was 2.5 weeks.

Same to me as when a traditional dealership shows a car in the old newspaper that had a great price. Go down to the dealership. They had one, and it was sold yesterday. Should one try to recoup my time and gas money for driving there? After all the car wasn't really there, or was it. I don't know if it was. Suing for it? Maybe that is what is wrong these days. People feeling wronged every possible way they can.

Kind of inflammatory if you ask me.

It's all estimated, and many options are 2 weeks. When I ordered mine, I received it within 2 weeks and so did a buddy of mine (his was actually 5 days). Telsa is not committing fraud, just perhaps a little over optimistic for some specific configurations.

Can you put me in touch with those disgruntled parties? Not ones that are ordered in Australia, or the UK.
I can't say that I have read much of that currently, yet I am sure the OP will find plenty of old threads to drum up.

Line waiters have their cars here in the US now. Please dispense with the constant negativity on a car you don't own, or have no intention of owning for a long period of time.

There are several critical members of this forum that do not own Tesla's or are former owners. Those folks seem to do such a better job at explaining their position rather than baiting people to become negative on Tesla.

I don't think the word "estimated" is a get out of jail free card. If the estimate is closer to two months, why doesn't Tesla just say that? Wouldn't that mean less disgruntled customers waiting for cars?

Because there are a LARGE number of deliveries that happen on two days. This would be just as bad as your example, someone rented a car for 2 months and only needed for two days, but was locked into a contract.

And when it comes to Tesla's estimates, 2 weeks is a significantly detailed answer compared to some of their estimates. I had one for 2 years and now another for about 18 months.

If you bought a car, then welcome to the club, just sit back and wait.

If you aren't buying one because of the wait, then feel free to move along.

But I'm sure everyone will agree, 2 weeks is a decent estimate (except for you)

Ordered my X a week ago. Got delivery in 4 days. They match many orders right away. Your delivery heavily depends of the configuration you order.

No fraud. Tesla has never been about precision on their time lines, but has a reputation of being wildly optimistic. Would not count on getting your car in exactly 2 weeks. Some will and some won't.

Tesla is not responsible for your rental car situation. If you rent a car, it is on you.

I ordered mine and got it eight days later. No fraud. Yeah, and I ordered recently. Late June 2019.

I got my cars within 2 weeks