Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 newborns, one 4yo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I've gathered from others, the best config for a family X is the 6-seater so you can walk down the empty middle.

If you had two newborns (yes, twins are in my future) and one 4yo, would you put the twins in the second row and the toddler in the third row, or vice versa?

I agree, rear-facing seats in the middle. I don't see why you'd have any trouble fitting two seats of any kind in the back if one of them fit, though, there is space between the two rear seats, so I'd either expect two to fit or none to fit, because width isn't typically the issue. Regardless, even if you found one that fit in the back while also properly installed, you likely wouldn't want to climb in and out with the twins to get them into those seats (because it likely wouldn't be a removable "pumpkin" style). There is one other thing to consider, though, you're also not likely to find a rear-facing car seat that allows your front seats to go all the way back when properly installed. Your 4-year old won't mind going under the rear-facing seats, so you're fine in that regard, but if you're used to seat all the way back, you're going to have to find a different position until the twins are big/old enough to be forward facing.

ETA: FWIW, I got the 7-seater in 2017 and mostly regret that I didn't get the 6-seater, but for the brief periods of time where I had two rear-facing car seats (or even one forward, one rear), it was nice to be able to put them in the center position and behind the passenger instead of having one behind the driver. However, in that scenario, I never had two removable "pumpkin" style seats at the same time, and those may not so well work side by side on the bench because having two seats side by side in the bench like that means they are up against each other.

Reactions: duggadugga
When you have 3 kids, the best config is either 5 or 7 seats. Put them all in the 2nd row so they won’t fight who sits in the 3rd row (not comfy). If you put the twins in 2nd and the 4yo in the back, you will have endless whining and complaining about “unfairness”. -Dad with 3 kids.

Also you will get more useable trunk space when your whole family goes out. You will need that. Just imagine your twin stroller.

When you have 3 kids, the best config is either 5 or 7 seats. Put them all in the 2nd row so they won’t fight who sits in the 3rd row (not comfy). If you put the twins in 2nd and the 4yo in the back, you will have endless whining and complaining about “unfairness”. -Dad with 3 kids.

Also you will get more useable trunk space when your whole family goes out. You will need that. Just imagine your twin stroller.
Oh, interesting perspective, and different from my parents it seems. But yes I am a little worried that the older kid will be unhappy with the third row. She mostly gets frustrated with not being able to see things -- how is the view out of the third row for a small kid?

Oh, interesting perspective, and different from my parents it seems. But yes I am a little worried that the older kid will be unhappy with the third row. She mostly gets frustrated with not being able to see things -- how is the view out of the third row for a small kid?
Terrible. No one wants to sit in the 3rd row, even for a small kid. We just went to Las Vegas from Los Angeles area last week with my 2 kids in the 3rd row (8yo and 5yo who usually sit in the 2nd row with the 3yo) and all I heard were "I am very uncomfortable. I want to throw up. I am car sick. I am dizzy" Endless whining. Granted I do have a 7 seater so there's no empty space in the middle for them to peek through.

Granted I do have a 7 seater so there's no empty space in the middle for them to peek through.

And that's the problem. With the 6-seater, the 3rd row is actually VERY comfortable - leg room for days (at least with only one person back there.) My 14yo son prefers to sit back there and we're only a family of 3.

6-seater really is the "best" config IMO.

• Informative
Reactions: Harvey Danger
My 4 year old prefers to sit in the third row alone in our 7 seater, and the only complaint he ever makes is that he can't see (pretty much anything he might want to see).
And that's the problem. With the 6-seater, the 3rd row is actually VERY comfortable - leg room for days (at least with only one person back there.) My 14yo son prefers to sit back there and we're only a family of 3.

6-seater really is the "best" config IMO.
This is a great point, but OP issue was still how to get into 3rd row and buckle 4-yo with rear-facing post-pumpkin seats in both captains (4-yo could get there easily and enjoy it, adult, not so much). Technically necessary to climb through even with pumpkins because seats don't tilt forward (unless they finally added that with plaid). One possible solution would be to only put up one third row seat and climb through the back. If you anticipate eventually having to do stuff like that anyway b/c <3 kids, it's not too big of a deal. Otherwise, it sounds horrible.

My 4 year old prefers to sit in the third row alone in our 7 seater, and the only complaint he ever makes is that he can't see (pretty much anything he might want to see).

This is a great point, but OP issue was still how to get into 3rd row and buckle 4-yo with rear-facing post-pumpkin seats in both captains (4-yo could get there easily and enjoy it, adult, not so much). Technically necessary to climb through even with pumpkins because seats don't tilt forward (unless they finally added that with plaid). One possible solution would be to only put up one third row seat and climb through the back. If you anticipate eventually having to do stuff like that anyway b/c <3 kids, it's not too big of a deal. Otherwise, it sounds horrible.

I’ll be honest - my kid is old enough now (Coming up on 15yo) that I have no idea what a pumpkin seat is.

My $0.02: the kids are only in car seats for a few years; rear facing only lasts ~2 years at most, and that 4yo will be moving to a booster seat before you know it. At that point, they should be able to self-buckle.

I look at Model X as a long term investment…. If I had to deal with a little extra reach for a year until the kids turn forward facing, I still think I’d stick with the 6-seater. Just my opinion of course!

Reactions: mxnym