Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st annual check up fee? $450??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did the first service at 12 months / 17k miles. I haven't decided on the second - AC desiccant bag & brake fluid. I may just do the brakes myself. Definitely will skip the 3rd. Probably do the 4th, but I'm expecting much better DIY info by that time.

I don't mind paying for an annual service, but this car was billed as being so much cheaper to maintain because of it's significantly fewer moving parts. Then they turn around and charge these significantly higher than industry average prices for routine annual service checkups. That goes completely against their initial claim.

I think you're conflating 'annual service/preventative maintenance.' with 'regular repairs/ongoing maintenance.' They are different things entirely.

Over the life of a car, how many of the following will you have paid for/repaired owning a Tesla?
  • Oil changes
  • Water Pump
  • Radiator
  • Brake rotors
  • Exhaust
  • Mufflers
  • O2 Sensor
  • Steering pump/hoses/fluid
  • Steering rack
  • Transmission tune-up/fluid change
  • Spark plugs
  • Fuel filter
  • Fuel injectors
  • Fuel pump
  • Turbocharger
  • Valve adjustment
  • Timing chain/timing belt
  • Alternator
  • Batteries
  • Starter
  • Air filter
  • Head gasket
  • Clutch
  • Rear main seal
  • Mass Airflow sensor

For both my P85+ and P85D, I paid for the annual service plan and the ESA. I paid less than this, but let's take the current pricing for Model S. The 4-year service plan is $2400 for 4 years, or on average, $800 per year. The ESA is currently $4,750, or about $600 per year (spread over 8 years, including the factory warranty). That means that my total maximum exposure to all repairs and maintenance needs is $1400 per year (plus a $200 per visit deductible in years 5-8). I challenge anyone to pay less than that, on average per year (about $110/month), for 8 full years of ownership of any ICE vehicle.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: phaduman
I think you're conflating 'annual service/preventative maintenance.' with 'regular repairs/ongoing maintenance.' They are different things entirely.

Over the life of a car, how many of the following will you have paid for/repaired owning a Tesla?
  • Oil changes
  • Water Pump
  • Radiator
  • Brake rotors
  • Exhaust
  • Mufflers
  • O2 Sensor
  • Steering pump/hoses/fluid
  • Steering rack
  • Transmission tune-up/fluid change
  • Spark plugs
  • Fuel filter
  • Fuel injectors
  • Fuel pump
  • Turbocharger
  • Valve adjustment
  • Timing chain/timing belt
  • Alternator
  • Batteries
  • Starter
  • Air filter
  • Head gasket
  • Clutch
  • Rear main seal
  • Mass Airflow sensor

For both my P85+ and P85D, I paid for the annual service plan and the ESA. I paid less than this, but let's take the current pricing for Model S. The 4-year service plan is $2400 for 4 years, or on average, $800 per year. The ESA is currently $4,750, or about $600 per year (spread over 8 years, including the factory warranty). That means that my TOTAL exposure to all repairs and maintenance needs is $1400 per year (plus a $200 per visit deductible in years 5-8). I challenge anyone to pay less than that, on average per year (about $110/month), for 8 full years of ownership of any ICE vehicle.

Yea, I get it, it doesn't have some of the parts ICE's have so it's not going to have to repair those parts...that was the sell. But I've unquestionably spent more on this car than I did in the first 4 years owning my Benz. In both cases, the car was under warranty, so all I paid for was annual services (not including tire costs as that's unfair to Tesla's larger tires and higher performance causing wear). I, too, prepaid for annual services at $2,000. With my Benz in the first four years I got two A services ($200 something each) and two B services ($400 something each, I believe).

And despite all of those ICE parts you've listed that the model S doesn't have to worry about, my Tesla has been in for more warranty repairs in these first 4 years than my Benz was in my first 4 years of ownership which leaves me a little worried for when the warranty expires at the end of this year.

By comparison, the cost of servicing an Audi A8 for FIVE years is $1,179. And this is to service a grossly over complicated ICE. That works out to $235 a year. I have to say that premium ICE manufacturers have really cleaned up their act with service charges. The only game they play is by offering "custom" service schedules but if you go with what is mentioned on the service manual, the service costs are quite reasonable.

The Tesla service schedule is absolutely overpriced but I pay because where else can you take it and I definitely need to keep the ESA valid for myself or the subsequent owner of the car. There's no reason an Audi A8 should cost less to service over 5 years than a Tesla.

2017 Audi Care & Audi Care Select | Audi library

Audi_Service.jpg

Audi_Coverage.jpg

BMW includes 3 years of free service now instead of 4, MB doesn't have any free service included unless you purchase the service contract.

Tesla annual service is mostly useless but they try to entice you by adding one item that gives you the illusion it is good (e.g. drive unit fluid change, battery coolant, ac desiccant bag which is the first time I heard even needs to be replaced on any vehicle ), your key fob battery is likely die in between the services, tire rotation/alignments usually you can purchase in local shop for couple of hundreds for the life of the tires.

I challenge anyone to pay less than that, on average per year (about $110/month), for 8 full years of ownership of any ICE vehicle.

Easy Peasy. I paid $1,482 (excluding tires) total for 8 years, 109k miles on the BMW I just replaced with my P100D. Of course BMW had free maintence for the first 4 years, and I did the rest myself, but you can't really do that on a Tesla, since Tesla won't give access to the Toolbox.

Incidentally of that, the only things I replaced that the Tesla doesn't have was the engine air filter, oil and filter and spark plugs.

I don't mind the service plan. It gives the peace of mind, and when they do find things while still under warranty, they'll fix

What I am worry is the cost of other repairs like MCU or Brakes or Door Handle where I've seen ppl posting crazy prices on them.

Considering the nearest service center is an hour away,

Really? An hour away? By the sound of it, it looks like you live in South Jersey -- possibly even Cherry Hill (or very close to it)... and if you choose to go to BMW dealer, BMW of Mt. Laurel on 73 is an "hour away"? There are no BMW dealers in NJ an hour away from anywhere else in NJ. And that's only BMW dealerships.

And if you don't go to a dealer, there are independent foreign car repair shops everywhere down there. I should know, I grew up in Cherry Hill (just one mile from the new Tesla location on Rt 70).

Really? An hour away?

I was talking about the nearest Tesla service center not the BMW dealer. And yes I will be thrilled when the Cherry Hill Service center opens, I have a laundry list of issues on my cars that need to be looked at.

Even the BMW dealer which is right down the street takes an hour by the time you go there drop off the car, get the loaner and get back. At the end of the day though the reason I do it is because I actually enjoy working on the car.

I really wish Tesla would make the Toolbox available to owners so we could work on our own cars.

Last edited: