Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

~$17 a month for Digital Rplate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know your post is a little old, but where are you getting those numbers?? Their site says the battery plate is $19.95 PER MONTH for 48 months ($957 total for 4 years) or $215 per year for 4 years ($860 for 4 years). And the site calls that a 'subscription', not installments towards a total. That keeps on going for as long as you have the plate. $17-$20 per month for the thing is absolutely insane. I wouldn't play that if you could watch movies on the thing.

They change pricing all the time. I believe I posted a comparison in this thread at some point a while ago.

Here’s the latest pricing:

Battery powered: $599 upfront. The ‘service plan’ (what used to be called a subscription, I believe) is optional but then they say you can’t renew the plate without it. Don’t see how required functionality would be ‘optional’ but whatever. $75 per year for basic service plan

Wired: $599+$150 pro installation (required). Service plans start at $95 per year.

This is certainly a step in the right direction but still seems pricey for what you get. I would wager that the battery powered model has no more than about $25 worth of components in it.

Reviver, if you guys are reading this, you need to seriously revise your business plan. Still waaaaay overpriced for what you get. I don’t think I’d consider it until it’s at or below about $300. I would spend $300 and you could hook me for the subscription, so quit being greedy, guys.

And still no color option.

Reactions: TomT
Reminder for people the wired version provides a lit screen but seems to have problems with Tesla without modifications.

The battery version is great if you want to stay stealth since from many angles the plate isn’t even visible even with the Tesla factory plate lights.

These screens are not cheap compared to LED but yeah the pricing is way to high and hasn’t changed really over the years.

Reactions: TomT
Plan pricing has changed now. Still $599 for either wired or battery. Basic plan is $35/yr, Plus plan is $75/yr, and Premium plan is $125/yr.

The catch is that on the basic plan to renew your plate in the app is an additional $39. So if you get the basic plan and renew your registration, you're already in for $74 that year. This is obviously designed to push you toward the Plus plan which includes registration and has a few other additional features.

$3 month a is now totally reasonable especially when you can get used plates for $300 on eBay and elsewhere pretty often.

I might actually consider it.
I still think the $599 is too steep. Don't know how I'd feel getting one off eBay.

The screen is no more sophisticated than a Kindle. And one way or another you're laying out $74-75 per year. Charging $39 for registration (which goes on top of the already exorbitant reg fees in places like CA or NY) should be how they make money, Forcing you to shell out $35 for a plan that basically does nothing for you except allow you to pay ANOTHER $39 for registration still smacks of greed on Reviver's part.

Reactions: Shiro and TomT
I still think the $599 is too steep. Don't know how I'd feel getting one off eBay.

The screen is no more sophisticated than a Kindle. And one way or another you're laying out $74-75 per year. Charging $39 for registration (which goes on top of the already exorbitant reg fees in places like CA or NY) should be how they make money, Forcing you to shell out $35 for a plan that basically does nothing for you except allow you to pay ANOTHER $39 for registration still smacks of greed on Reviver's part.
Exactly. It's an expensive solution in search of a problem.

Reactions: nate704
This thing definitely gives Juicero a run for its money.

Insightful comment -- thanks.
I had never heard of Juiceroo, that was interesting reading. Juiceroo was jumping on the healthy food craze, and was an early IoT developer. They also tried very hard to setup a subscription model, and they invested heavily in design and marketing. In many ways, a company a decade or two ahead of its time.

I personally find subscription models obnoxious money grabs for the most part, detest design without functionality in mind, and cannot stand vacuous marketing. Rplate is much the same, although the built-in GPS may actually have some value as an anti-theft device, or as a way to find the car in a big parking lot for cars that do not have their own GPS tied to the internet and accessible to the car owner.

IoT is an old buzz-word, and a lot of garbage is at its fringes. But it really is impressive tech with remarkable potential. And I don't doubt it will invade darn near everything eventually.

Last edited: