Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

~$17 a month for Digital Rplate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ive had one for a year and a half - a year on my old car and then when I got the model 3 in march i had it put on there.

its like anything - its up to you.

i like it because its unique, has telematics (pro version that i have) and you can add some text under the license number. you cant as yet upload your personal text but there is a growing list of phrases you can use in the app which are cute. also you are supposed to be able to upload a photo but that's been promised for a while.

you can make the background white with black letters or , the way i like it, white letters on black background.

when the lights are off its a matte finish and looks really cool.

most people here will disagree with the extra cost and justify why it is not worth it but for me, i dig it! ive seen one in LA in the nearly 2 years i've had it, but i do know there are a decent amount of people who have them. the cyber truck has one!

its not a lease, you own it after a while. since the tesla in CA dont need emissions, you can just pay the registration through the app and boom goes the dynamite.

20200606_191649.jpg

my old car :

20200302_050051.jpg

Last edited:
ive had one for a year and a half - a year on my old car and then when I got the model 3 in march i had it put on there.

i like it because its unique, has telematics (pro version that i have) and you can add some text under the license number. you cant as yet upload your personal text but there is a growing list of phrases you can use in the app which are cute. also you are supposed to be able to upload a photo but that's been promised for a while.

most people here will disagree with the extra cost and justify why it is not worth it but for me, i dig it! ive seen one in LA in the nearly 2 years ive had it, but i do know there are a decent amount of people who have them. the cyber truck has one!

its not a lease, you own it after a while. since the tesla in CA dont need emissions, you can just pay the registration through the app and boom goes the dynamite.

View attachment 567710

my old car :

View attachment 567711

Is there somewhere to look at what phrases are available? Can the color of the plate be changed to what DMV has available? I wonder if you still have to pay the specialized license plate fees.

you can make the background white with black letters or , the way i like it, white letters on black background.

when the lights are off its a matte finish and looks really cool.

most people here will disagree with the extra cost and justify why it is not worth it but for me, i dig it! ive seen one in LA in the nearly 2 years i've had it, but i do know there are a decent amount of people who have them. the cyber truck has one!

View attachment 567710

my old car :

View attachment 567711

Oh okay good to know. I remember when it was like $700 to buy outright but a low monthly lease is actually pretty enticing. And then you get to keep it. Cool. Was thinking about getting it. Ya that black background with white lettering looks amazing. Would look perfect on my car! And I've actually never seen a car in person with a digital plate, only pictures online.

How long does the installation take?

i had a legacy blac plate but the license number is not speciality. you need to have your license plate. you send a screen shot of the plate on your car and a copy of your dmv via their email. they send out the product. the install is included in the initial cost but if you want to move it to another car down the line, you pay for that. they send a local mobile shop to do the install or you can go to the shop they give you for the install. you save 50 bucks if you go go to the shop.

i think this is only for a few states, so not every state has approved it.

i dont think you can find the list online, but its possible someone has on some forum somewhere.

you see things like " dont cross the streams" and holiday phrases like "happy new year" "you're too close" and some sports themes like "go yankees" or thigns of that nature. they also have some , in my opinion, controversial stuff like " blue lives matter" "8 minutes and 46 seconds" "get off our necks"and some phrases for businesses. there's close to 700 phrases you can put on the bottom.

i had a legacy blac plate but the license number is not speciality. you need to have your license plate. you send a screen shot of the plate on your car and a copy of your dmv via their email. they send out the product. the install is included in the initial cost but if you want to move it to another car down the line, you pay for that. they send a local mobile shop to do the install or you can go to the shop they give you for the install. you save 50 bucks if you go go to the shop.

i think this is only for a few states, so not every state has approved it.

i dont think you can find the list online, but its possible someone has on some forum somewhere.

you see things like " dont cross the streams" and holiday phrases like "happy new year" "you're too close" and some sports themes like "go yankees" or thigns of that nature. they also have some , in my opinion, controversial stuff like " blue lives matter" "8 minutes and 46 seconds" "get off our necks"and some phrases for businesses. there's close to 700 phrases you can put on the bottom.

Got it. I'm right outside of LA so I'd just go to their shop for the install for sure.

Any other costs outside of that monthly payment or that's it?

Might do this today

Stupid question: Any noticeable battery drain because of the plate? Lol

How long does the installation take?

install takes about 90 minutes? its not long and if you let them come to you (they will come to your office or home) then no sweat.

yeah ive only seen one in the 2 years but there are some out there. i got the pro version which shows you your trips, when your car is moved, parked, etc -- things you already get on the tesla. but when i got this my old car didnt have an app so i opted for the top of the line. :)

it looks really cool with the lights off in the daylight. looks like a photo. well it kinda is since it uses some special electronic ink. even when the plate is off the car it still shows the plate info and "DETACHED" on the plate, so even if one were to try and rip it off the car, you would know this right away and it would not be able to be used on another car as once it was powered up its location would be known.

again its a cool unique feature and looks like the car came with it. many people have asked me if the tesla ship with it since it looks like it was.

I might pull the trigger on this. The advertising is interesting too, if you can make some cash off of it...hhhmmmm....

thats the theory. when the car is parked, you can post up commercial advertising that swaps your plate number with the ad -- only when parked. i dont think this is implemented or if it is its for commercial use, but there are SOME businesses that have their names in the list you can put under the tag number -

Got it. I'm right outside of LA so I'd just go to their shop for the install for sure.

Any other costs outside of that monthly payment or that's it?

Might do this today

Stupid question: Any noticeable battery drain because of the plate? Lol

ZERO other costs other than the monthly fee. ZERO

the plate does not use any electricity when the car is off. the design is "burned" into the face of the plate and the only time you use power is when you change the phrase at the bottom or when you refresh the plate to call the server (no reason to do this unless you want to - the plate is worry free). when you change the phrase at the bottom, it calls the server automatically and updates it. but NO power is used, save the lights to light it up when you have your car lights on.

yeah bro if you can do it id say do it! there are some local shops that have them in stock.

thats the theory. when the car is parked, you can post up commercial advertising that swaps your plate number with the ad -- only when parked. i dont think this is implemented or if it is its for commercial use, but there are SOME businesses that have their names in the list you can put under the tag number -

ZERO other costs other than the monthly fee. ZERO

the plate does not use any electricity when the car is off. the design is "burned" into the face of the plate and the only time you use power is when you change the phrase at the bottom or when you refresh the plate to call the server (no reason to do this unless you want to - the plate is worry free). when you change the phrase at the bottom, it calls the server automatically and updates it. but NO power is used, save the lights to light it up when you have your car lights on.

yeah bro if you can do it id say do it! there are some local shops that have them in stock.

Sold :cool:

bydObxy.png

^ Before I order, do you have a customer code I should use or it doesn't matter?

I can't be the only one to not get it, and the webpage is really not selling me on it?
  • "State Approved!" - So is any standard issue plate?
  • "Weatherproof" - So are standard issue plates...
  • "Safe and secure" - Standard plates don't need to worry about this?
  • "Connected" - OK, but why?
  • "Lit" - All cars, at least in North America, have lights for the plates already
  • "Personalized messages" - but apparently not so personal, because you can't write your own?
I'm super unclear on the benefits of a "connected" plate. Someone try selling this to me, I really don't get the point. Why does my plate need LTE?

As far as "custom" and "personalizable" goes, plenty of special plates already exist? For example, in BC (Canada), I have a Parks series plate.

I'm so confused.

I've looked at this for years(s). I love the concept 100%. They finally have a semi-reasonable price structure here. Honestly I don't think it's ever sold that well and along with the pandemic I think they're hurting to keep going. In all this time they've only been able to add a second state. It's still more than I would consider but my bigger problem is that they're always been way too thick and doesn't look right on the car. The bezel could also been more edgeless. I assume the design has never been updated. I also don't like that it's only for the back; but I understand front is a large potential damage point since the front is right on the bumper.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I can't be the only one to not get it, and the webpage is really not selling me on it?
  • "State Approved!" - So is any standard issue plate?
  • "Weatherproof" - So are standard issue plates...
  • "Safe and secure" - Standard plates don't need to worry about this?
  • "Connected" - OK, but why?
  • "Lit" - All cars, at least in North America, have lights for the plates already
  • "Personalized messages" - but apparently not so personal, because you can't write your own?
I'm super unclear on the benefits of a "connected" plate. Someone try selling this to me, I really don't get the point. Why does my plate need LTE?

As far as "custom" and "personalizable" goes, plenty of special plates already exist? For example, in BC (Canada), I have a Parks series plate.

I'm so confused.

It’s useless only available in Arizona and California. Pretty much worthless and better to keep your issues license plate...... and I just ordered mine and can’t wait to have it installed just because it’s another “mod” to keep it different.

I have one. I got it last December and pay $12.95 + tax. I love the black and white look. At night, people definitely are confused. I notice people in adjacent lanes coming up behind me quick, then all of a sudden match my speed while right behind me. Not sure if they're just curious about the plate, or think I'm a cop until enough light shines on my car to make it clear what I'm in. Then they pass after 30sec or so.

My only complaint is that messages should be 100% customizable, instead of pre-written. Just enable a blacklist of words that can't be used. The app is also very disorganized and it's hard to find the message you want in the ~600 to choose from. They don't even organize them within their own categories properly.

It's fun having specific holiday messages, or topical ones like "Carol Baskin is Guilty". I've seen a few people point and take photos at the funny ones.

It’s useless only available in Arizona and California. Pretty much worthless and better to keep your issues license plate...... and I just ordered mine and can’t wait to have it installed just because it’s another “mod” to keep it different.

Nice. Just ordered mine

Getting my car lowered next week and if this comes fairly quickly could probably get it installed next week as well!

Going to look so awesome on our cars