Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For EAP, one of the features on the roadmap is lane changing without driver input. To do that, the first step is to be able to do it with driver input.

I'm not aware of a roadmap. That feature, along with the use of four cameras, automatic transition from one highway to another, and other fantasies, was falsely - and possibly fraudulently - listed as undergoing "final validation" for expected delivery last December when I bought my car with EAP in November. If you know of a timeline to actually provide these promised features rather than simply catch up with the old AP1 system I would love to know about it.

I'm not aware of a roadmap. That feature, along with the use of four cameras, automatic transition from one highway to another, and other fantasies, was falsely - and possibly fraudulently - listed as undergoing "final validation" for expected delivery last December when I bought my car with EAP in November. If you know of a timeline to actually provide these promised features rather than simply catch up with the old AP1 system I would love to know about it.

I know no more than you do. I'm only stating that this is a listed feature of EAP and I assume that Tesla is going to deliver it at some point in the future.

AP2 s100d, coming from AP1 model s.
My experience with AP2 on the 17.26.76 has been quite positive and lacking many of he issues you mentioned.

I did notice that it seems to be slowing down way too much on curves and ramps (to the point where I have to take over and speed up) but other than that it seems to work pretty well. It isn't as sure of itself on local streets, but works well on highway. The main issue I see compared to AP1 is that it seems to nag a lot more.

Nagging to hold the wheel is bad because it still complains if you hold the wheel, you have to tug and apply steering pressure to get to to know that you are holding the wheel.

I have been experimenting with this quite a bit and still can't figure out what it wants....there will be times where I have one finger resting on the bottom of the wheel with little pressure and it never nags me or gets rid of the message. Other times, to your point I have to hold and pitch for 5-10 seconds to recognize. I have held the wheel like I was driving and it still nags. I have even put a chip clip on the wheel (pretty good pressure) on a long easy I-65 drive and it still was nagging. I really don't know what it looks for.

I should say this is AP1 - .76 update.

Just back from another 400 mile trip, with autopilot doing 90% of the highway/highspeed driving

Basically - pretty much rock solid on well marked motorways, as we know. I'm starting to get that trusting feeling I had with AP1. Now and again, it'll still do something random with the speed - it'll still slow down here and there, which probably looks a bit odd to the driver behind. This isn't the same as ghost braking under a bridge or underpass -thankfully, I haven't experienced that on this newer firmware at all. It's just still a bit jittery - especially when there isn't a lead car for radar reassurance.

Botts dots - the yellow temporary road marking/construction area lane dots - these aren't so good. You have to watch it carefully as it navigates the temporary lanes here; to be expected I guess.

Narrow dual carriageway lanes; there's still a propensity to hug the lane line, making other traffic too close. It's better than the previous firmware though, by a long way, but it could still be smarter.

Overall, looking forward to the improvements coming and the activation of more cameras -- I can see how a lot of these things could be mitigated when the surround cameras are activated.

I have been experimenting with this quite a bit and still can't figure out what it wants....there will be times where I have one finger resting on the bottom of the wheel with little pressure and it never nags me or gets rid of the message. Other times, to your point I have to hold and pitch for 5-10 seconds to recognize. I have held the wheel like I was driving and it still nags. I have even put a chip clip on the wheel (pretty good pressure) on a long easy I-65 drive and it still was nagging. I really don't know what it looks for.

I should say this is AP1 - .76 update.

The system cannot detect the pressure of your grip or the chip clip :) It senses torque and requires that there is a resistance in the column from your hand.

It is dumb that the system recognizes torque because sometimes I accidentally disengage AS while holding the wheel on turns and the car jerks a bit.

I set up an alternate profile that's exactly the same as mine but moves the steering wheel down as far as it'll go. That's not comfortable for actual steering, but on AP it means I can rest my elbows on the armrests and have my hands just on the wheel exerting no pressure other than from gravity. Never had an accidental disengagement that way and it's perfectly comfortable. Of course, in reality, as often as not, I just take my hands off the wheel and give it a tug every once in a while.

I've put in feature requests to have AP-specific settings to get saved in the driver's profile in a few places but haven't heard anything back.

Reactions: u00mem9
I set up an alternate profile that's exactly the same as mine but moves the steering wheel down as far as it'll go. That's not comfortable for actual steering, but on AP it means I can rest my elbows on the armrests and have my hands just on the wheel exerting no pressure other than from gravity. Never had an accidental disengagement that way and it's perfectly comfortable. Of course, in reality, as often as not, I just take my hands off the wheel and give it a tug every once in a while.

I've put in feature requests to have AP-specific settings to get saved in the driver's profile in a few places but haven't heard anything back.

That's a good idea for a very long road trip but for my commute, given how aggressive and/or stupid the drivers are around me I have to be on my "toes."

Just an FYI that this is markedly different (i.e. opposite) behavior from the lane switcheroo feature in previous releases where momentary depression of the turn signal stalk did nothing.

I had 17.18.50 before and holding the turn signal lever against the detent would initiate a lane change. The lever had to be held in place until the car was well into the new lane. If released early, the lane change cancelled.

Someone asked whether the turn signal would cause multiple lane changes if the turn signal lever was fully engaged (as opposed to held against the detent but not fully clicked into place).

This is from the manual:
Note: Auto Lane Change moves the vehicle one lane at a time. Moving into an additional lane requires you to engage the turn signal a second time when the first lane change is complete.​

So it appears the car should only move over one lane. I don't know whether the turn signal automatically cancels once the single lane change has completed.

I had 17.18.50 before and holding the turn signal lever against the detent would initiate a lane change. The lever had to be held in place until the car was well into the new lane. If released early, the lane change cancelled.

Someone asked whether the turn signal would cause multiple lane changes if the turn signal lever was fully engaged (as opposed to held against the detent but not fully clicked into place).

This is from the manual:
Note: Auto Lane Change moves the vehicle one lane at a time. Moving into an additional lane requires you to engage the turn signal a second time when the first lane change is complete.​

So it appears the car should only move over one lane. I don't know whether the turn signal automatically cancels once the single lane change has completed.

I typically fully engage the turn signal. Can confirm it'll only do one lane change and does not automatically cancel the signal.

That's because it was never meant to do that and implemented as a hasty CYA after the Joshua Brown death.

Autosteer has always asked you to hold the steering wheel under certain conditions from day 1. However, with the 8.0 release (about 4 months after the Brown accident), the number of conditions and frequency of requests to hold the wheel were increased.

Autosteer has always asked you to hold the steering wheel under certain conditions from day 1. However, with the 8.0 release (about 4 months after the Brown accident), the number of conditions and frequency of requests to hold the wheel were increased.

Certain condition being low confidence factor, "I need help, hold me". Which coincidentally meant that you were actually applying torque because it was steering badly, and all was well. Now that they are just trying to detect hands, it just sucks. There's no reason for me to apply torque when it's driving just fine down an desolate 3 lane highway.

• Funny
Reactions: NerdUno and croman
After a few more days of stop-and-go commuting with this FW, the verdict is "worse than 17.17.4", which is saying a lot.

Biggest Problems:
  • Embarrassing: Speed behavior in stop and go traffic is atrocious. It waits too long after front car starts moving, then accelerates like mad, then hits the brakes abruptly to stop. It's dangerous, and puts me at risk of either being rear-ended or being flipped off.
  • Dangerous: it goes off-road in slow, sweeping turns. Gradually and deliberately. I have video I'll have to post someday, with cursing and all.
  • Terrifying: on roads with a narrow (1'-2') concrete divider, it tends to identify the *far* side of the divider as the lane marking - when you add that to its propensity for aggressively diving to the 'middle' of the lane, it's made for some hair-raising saves. I'm surprised no one has destroyed their rims yet.

I would agree that stop-and-go commuting overall has regressed in 17.26 vs 17.17.4.

But on the other hand, at-speed freeway driving is without a doubt better. Night and day. And I've demonstrated both versions to a few neutral passengers who all said the same.

Hopefully they can address the stop-and-go regressions. The mixed feelings about this update suck, how I want one for road trips and the second half of my commute, and the previous update for the first half of my commute.

The real issue is whether we'll have to wait another 2 months for a real update. If the pace of improvement slows considerably, we will not reach parity much less EAP features. Elon is silent now. That would've been great months and months ago but now its disappointing because no one at Tesla is saying a thing.

Reactions: Joe F
Definitely smoother on corners.

I've had a couple of phantom brakes. Had one last night just cresting a small hill with nothing in front. Was a pretty strong brake for about a second. If the guy behind was tailgating it would have been a pretty good brake check. Fortunately he wasn't that close. Potentially dangerous.

Slows down too much on corners. On twisty roads I turn it off.