Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

13 cars broken into last night, for laptops - costco sunnyvale parking lot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Um, don't you need an active WiFi hotspot to get the Blackvue connected to the cloud?

Another thing they can steal. :eek:

We didn't sign up for the cloud service. There are owners on here with setups for some type of mobile wifi. See it discussed in the Blackvue threads on occasion. Blackvue use Amazon Cloud service (California, London, and Singapore servers for different parts of the world). Most people probably use the microSD card for file storage. Blackvue sells a tamper proof "locking" cover for the camera where the card is stored so if it's a quick in out kind of hit, they probably won't be able to yank the card. If they want to rip you off of your camera and have the time they can take a lot more from your car too. Let's face it if someone wants in your house or car, nothing is foolproof, but you do the best you can.

Last edited:
When I read this thread earlier today, I had no idea I would be coming back tonight to say... "me too."

This happened in a parking lot on De Anza Blvd. in Cupertino tonight. A bunch of cars in the lot were hit all at the same time. It sure appeared that they were looking for laptops/valuables in the trunk. Fortunately my trunk was empty, and they only smashed the rear triangle window to flip down the seat.

h1gdJTa.jpg

Looks like identical beak-in style on all cases. How did they not trigger the car alarm when they opened the door without the fob to grab things from the trunk?

Sounds like they didn't open the doors, just reached through and flipped the back seat down. Amazing that you US chaps don't have sensors in the car like us UK peeps do.

When I read this thread earlier today, I had no idea I would be coming back tonight to say... "me too."

This happened in a parking lot on De Anza Blvd. in Cupertino tonight. A bunch of cars in the lot were hit all at the same time. It sure appeared that they were looking for laptops/valuables in the trunk. Fortunately my trunk was empty, and they only smashed the rear triangle window to flip down the seat.

h1gdJTa.jpg
So sorry to see that. I hope it gets fixed quickly and cheaply.

oh thats terrible!! I bet these are the same 3-guys making the rounds. Here is my latest video grab of their photos...

Attachments

• guyNo1-pic1.png
    guyNo1-pic1.png
    112.1 KB · Views: 190
  • guyNo1-pic3.png
    guyNo1-pic3.png
    98.9 KB · Views: 138
The following is not written in jest; I put it out there so that some may consider it for refinement:

What kind of ramifications might a window sign like the following create?

Notice to thieves
There is nothing of value in this car
The door is unlocked - please open the door to confirm the above
Please do not break this window! Thank you.

optional:

You might find it easier to break into the next car over

The following is not written in jest; I put it out there so that some may consider it for refinement:

What kind of ramifications might a window sign like the following create?

Notice to thieves
There is nothing of value in this car
The door is unlocked - please open the door to confirm the above
Please do not break this window! Thank you.

optional:

You might find it easier to break into the next car over
back in the crack epidemic in NYC stealing sound systems was all the rage, people used to post no radio signs on their cars

Reactions: GoTslaGo
Sorry thecloud. Hopefully our photos and posts are at least alerting more owners in our area to what is going on. I assume you had your parcel shelf up as well? I really think it will save people alot of trouble and expense if they keep their parcel shelf down if possible. If you have groceries stored in a cargo organizer in your cargo area that they can see back there, doubt that they would care about that kind of stuff. If you don't store things in your recessed trunk floor area that has that carpeted flap to it, you could use that area to store anything of value there and it might be overlooked. Maybe a laptop or tablet would fit under your seat.

If they break your small rear side window (ours cost $1200 to repair) and flip the seat/s down and see something of interest in your cargo area, they will then break your larger rear side 2nd row window (likely looking at a $600 window repair) to try to reach in without opening the door (which would set off the alarm). They probably have some kind of tool to reach back there to pull stuff closer to them and/or in the worse case try to smash the liftgate window (which I imagine is the most expensive window to replace). Phaduman, maybe after your work is done you can give us an idea of what it cost for each window area.

I really think there should be some sort of bay area wide task force among city PDs tracking and investigating this kind of stuff. By not doing anything, this is just perpetuating it and who knows what kind of money it generates goes into funding something else. Hopefully everyone with dashcams is at least turning the info into the PD. Possibly these are organized gangs doing this and moving from city to city. Have to wonder if an investigative news source would look into this and put pressure on getting something done.

Last edited:
I really think there should be some sort of bay area wide task force among city PDs tracking and investigating this kind of stuff. By not doing anything, this is just perpetuating it and who knows what kind of money it generates goes into funding something else.
FWIW: the breaking into cars like this is becoming a widespread nationwide problem. for the thieves the risks are low, the rewards can be high, low enforcement is not able to focus on this "low level" non violent crime because of their limited resources. there isn't much that can be done other than businesses offering more security in their lots (won't happen in most places) or people becoming vigilante like (dangerous).
here in NE FLA there are a few commonalities, one is bands of thieves hitting residential areas targeting unlocked cars or hitting shopping centers. one shopping center tactic is to locate a car that they want to hit, drive a van into an adjacent parking place to provide cover and then smash and grab.

@SMAlset , I left the car at the Sunnyvale SvC this morning. Got the same quote as you for repair. Apparently the small rear side window is glued in and cannot be replaced without also replacing all the brightwork (chrome trim) around the windows on that side of the car. Ugh.

The service advisor said that mine was about the 10th car to come in with its rear window broken into in the past 2 weeks. That's a car a day. Sure seems like an organized gang who knew what they were doing, and did it quickly with people around. Unfortunately no dashcam, and the business directly opposite my car did not have a camera.

Your observations about their methods seem like exactly what I saw. They broke the small window, flipped down the seat, and must have had a flashlight to look into the cargo area. Since it was empty, they moved on. I spoke to the owner of a Mercedes SUV which was parked a few stalls down; it had both its small rear and rear door windows smashed, because they saw a laptop bag in the back, and it got stolen.

Last time I had a window smashed like this, it was the '80s and stealing car stereos was a thing. Signs to "please don't break window" basically were an invitation for them to do so. I guess thieves can now assume there are other electronics to steal in a high-end car, and the percentage of cars with laptops in the trunk must be good enough to continue this spree. Hopefully the Bay Area PDs are taking note of the police reports getting filed.

back in the crack epidemic in NYC stealing sound systems was all the rage, people used to post no radio signs on their cars

This is before crack but the stealing of car radios was so out-of-control when I was in high school in the 80's that after installing the tape decks people would glue half razor blades to the backs. Then when the thieves reached behind the dash to pull them out they sure got a surprise. I wouldn't recommend that since it's not legal and you could be charged criminally or sued civilly (and will have to clean up blood from your car) but it certainly cut down on the thefts.

When vehicle thefts got out of control in the late 90's and early 00's, and Surrey had the highest per capital vehicle thefts of all of North America, they introduced bait cars, and it turned out it was the same people over and over again, and they had long rap sheets but our justice system was a revolving door, and they were druggies looking for a fix (how stupid we are not to legalize all drugs, get them clean free drugs, and then try to get them help -- or have them lead a somewhat productive life on drugs without having to steal for a fix -- a suburban housewife can get all the Oxycontin she wants but a down and out person seeking the same opioid has to break in our cars to get his fix -- but that's another topic).

After the bait cars...

"Auto theft is down — way down. In the Lower Mainland, it has dropped 59 per cent. Province-wide, auto theft has decreased by 52 per cent."

It's a significant improvement for a province that once had the dubious distinction of being the car theft capital of North America. There were 1,700 car thefts for every 100,000 people in Surrey, B.C., in 2001. The bait car program was launched in 2002.

Nicolas Jimenez, director of road safety for the Insurance Corp. of British Columbia, said the program has made a real difference in the pocketbook for residents across the province."

It seems you need to bait them down there, round them up, and lock them up. ICBC (the insurance corp of BC) who insures all vehicles up here, also used the cops to post the culprits names and pictures, their rap sheets, and shame judges and the judicial system who kept letting the out to wreak havoc on us. The message got through to the judges and court system to slap their wrists harder so as to not make the crime worth the time, for the most part at least.

Last edited:
@SMAlset , I left the car at the Sunnyvale SvC this morning. Got the same quote as you for repair. Apparently the small rear side window is glued in and cannot be replaced without also replacing all the brightwork (chrome trim) around the windows on that side of the car. Ugh.

The service advisor said that mine was about the 10th car to come in with its rear window broken into in the past 2 weeks. That's a car a day. Sure seems like an organized gang who knew what they were doing, and did it quickly with people around. Unfortunately no dashcam, and the business directly opposite my car did not have a camera.

Your observations about their methods seem like exactly what I saw. They broke the small window, flipped down the seat, and must have had a flashlight to look into the cargo area. Since it was empty, they moved on. I spoke to the owner of a Mercedes SUV which was parked a few stalls down; it had both its small rear and rear door windows smashed, because they saw a laptop bag in the back, and it got stolen.

Last time I had a window smashed like this, it was the '80s and stealing car stereos was a thing. Signs to "please don't break window" basically were an invitation for them to do so. I guess thieves can now assume there are other electronics to steal in a high-end car, and the percentage of cars with laptops in the trunk must be good enough to continue this spree. Hopefully the Bay Area PDs are taking note of the police reports getting filed.

And when you think about it, I'm sure it's not just Teslas with that kind of repair rate. Bet that Mercedes SUV was a pretty penny to have repaired too.

BTW since the small rear window repair included more than just replacing the glass and involved the seals around the window frame being replaced we wanted to make sure any repair would be warranteed should there be any water intrusion issues later come rainy season. So consider using Tesla/Tesla certified shop if you find yourself in a similar situation.