Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

13 cars broken into last night, for laptops - costco sunnyvale parking lot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you saying that the car alarm doesn't trigger with movement in the cabin? Doesn't the S have deadlocks?

I wish we had ultrasonic motion alarms in the US. Apparently Americans like locking their dogs/children in their cars too much — BMW had a lot of difficulty introducing such sensors in the NA market. We only have unexpected door / frunk opening alarms…. So you can throw as many bricks as you want at a Tesla and the alarm will never go off :(

I used to keep my 911 unlocked, I figured if they really want to get in I'll make it easy and I won't have to deal with any damage that would be caused by the thieves forcing their way in.

You know...ironically...that actually seems to be the best idea. Literally leave the car unlocked. They don't have a the keyfob so they aren't going get away with the car. Even if they did, you can track them down with the app.

I never thought about this...kind of true too. Last thing I want is damage and especially window damage. I don't keep anything valuable in the car anyways. So I really have nothing to lose if someone somehow gets into my car. Plus if you have dashcam anyways, you'll catch them on video and walk away without any serious damage. Interesting....

What time did this happen? I can't imagine this is during operating hours as there are literally hundreds of cars there. If it was parked overnight, I could see that happening.

Good point. And most parking lots have cameras too. I know Walmart and Target usually have cameras on the parking lot. I would imagine a place like Costco does too. Next time I go to mine I'll have to check if there are cameras.

Also it depends on the area. is it in a nice area/neighborhood? Or kind of sketchy?

Good point. And most parking lots have cameras too. I know Walmart and Target usually have cameras on the parking lot. I would imagine a place like Costco does too. Next time I go to mine I'll have to check if there are cameras.

Also it depends on the area. is it in a nice area/neighborhood? Or kind of sketchy?

It's not a bad area, but very susceptible to break-in crime. It's situated near train tracks and under an expressway over pass, also with freeway access down the street.

Basically great formula for smash and grab.

cameras are nice but all they do is record what happened, they offer little protection.

Reactions: SMAlset
Wait, I thought you had the parcel shelf up? How could he see anything with a flash light that was behind the shelf?

Time for some schooling.

Breakin_081317 - 1 (1).jpg

They reach in and unlatch the back seat area, using a flashlight they can look inside the cargo area even with the parcel shelf installed and see if it's worth their time to do a further intrusion, either risk opening the side door at this point or simply smashing the liftgate window and getting access that way. Like I said we had a dashcam and know what the guy looks like. Either he didn't know we had one or didn't care since he walked right in front of the rear camera. The smashing and quick inspect all happened in less than a minute. Didn't closely examine the time markings, but it's quick. They can easily go from car to car in a parking lot especially as large as this particular Costco (which we've been to many times), and all that most people nearby see is a guy near a car for a half minute or so. Someone might get suspicious but with no car alarms going off they keep taking their chances of not being observed and getting caught. My guess would be they broke into a number of cars and didn't get anything before finding one or two that had electronics that they wanted. We have car break ins in our local paper every week. Suspect they hit one city and drive up 101 or another expressway and hit another town and so on. Usually you see a rash of car break ins on the same day.

While we got footage we know that for the most part the dashcams are more useful for recording accidents.

Last edited:
Dang, that's pretty sophisticated. Much more sophisticated than any of the smash and grabs I've heard of.

Wouldn't people be alerted to the sound of breaking glass? Even without an alarm it is pretty loud when glass shatters.

Car windows are tempered glass and laminated so no not really. Here's another look.

Car break in - 1 (1).jpg

Hope the photos make owners more aware of how precarious storing things in your cargo area can be and how quickly it can happen. Of course this isn't just happening to Teslas although it looks like our car was targeted. Lots of cars out there are cross-overs, SUV, etc with hatchback kind of cargo areas. Trunks on cars don't stop it either, in fact we drove in a Home Depot parking lot a few months back and witnessed a guy doing just that with what we think was a large crow bar he walked away with over his shoulder. Car belonged to one of the customer service people there, fortunately for her our presence interrupted the break in and she said she didn't think they left with anything just rummaged around looking for something. Neither the San Jose area we got hit in or the Gilroy Home Depot or even this Sunnyvale Costco do I consider sketchy.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
great explanation, exactly what happened... @SMAlset .

Here are my pics (more extensive damage as they were determined to get the backpack from the trunk and not open the doors (didn't want alarms as they had many cars to go through). I think they took more than 10mins at diff times to come and work on my car while also working the other cars. They were in the parking lot for more than 20mins I would bet.

Some pics are at site, day-time pics are at my garage this morning.

IMG_0506.JPG IMG_0513.JPG IMG_0517.JPG IMG_0630.JPG IMG_0631.JPG IMG_0632.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I wish we had ultrasonic motion alarms in the US. Apparently Americans like locking their dogs/children in their cars too much — BMW had a lot of difficulty introducing such sensors in the NA market. We only have unexpected door / frunk opening alarms…. So you can throw as many bricks as you want at a Tesla and the alarm will never go off :(

I'm glad NA is not allowing more ways to trigger the alarm, which is just the car honking, since the stock ones already go off way too much, to the point where people barely pay attention anymore. You can always go aftermarket for an ultrasonic one if you want. But ultrasonic alarms can, and often do, go off on ferry rides, so there's good reason to limit them on stock vehicles since aftermarket buyers are more likely to know how, and when, to turn them off.

BMW had a lot of difficulty introducing such sensors in the NA market.

Not enough trouble in my view. It's always the BMWs honking away on ferry rides here, driving everyone else nuts.