Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

12v Battery Failure Notification on App (pretty cool, is this new?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last evening I got a pop up message on my phone that basically said the 12v battery had failed. When I went into the service tab in the app, there was a link to automatically schedule the appointment for it.

Not sure if this is new with the new(er) software or if it's always done this, but it's pretty cool IMO. Out of warranty so heading to Costco lol.

Screenshot attached.

2019 LR RWD. Battery mfg date 12/2019. I got the car with 10,000 miles. It now has like 77k.
CFF86956-5806-4539-80CC-0997FCD6D9DC.jpeg
9B5D26AF-D0E4-4A2F-A1B9-A37CAA51E84F.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood and KenC
Interestingly, everything I read says that the OEM replacement is a 51R, but the old battery was definitely not a 51R. It's too narrow. But it's a "Tesla" battery and shows 40 Ah capacity...?
51R's are 30 Ah. And it's not an "R."

4/19 build date, 12/19 battery date, so it was replaced shortly after delivery.

Anywho. Not that it matters, just interesting.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Interestingly, everything I read says that the OEM replacement is a 51R, but the old battery was definitely not a 51R. It's too narrow. But it's a "Tesla" battery and shows 40 Ah capacity...?
51R's are 30 Ah. And it's not an "R."

4/19 build date, 12/19 battery date, so it was replaced shortly after delivery.

Anywho. Not that it matters, just interesting.
The original battery is a group size 51R, and it does match the common dimensions of 51R. The "R" indicates what side the + and - post is in, and it definitely is an "R" because it has the positive post on the right side when the posts are closer to the front of the battery (the battery is installed in the Tesla with the posts closer to the firewall). I have also measured the battery and it matches the 51R dimensions BCI Battery Group Size Chart.

As for the capacity, that will vary by the battery design and plate thickness. Thicker plates have lower cranking amp capacities, but will last longer.

Meh. I like working on cars, if you can call a battery swap work lol. Took 5 minutes to swap, 5 minutes to reboot.

And I figure it helps free up the mobile techs for others.

$118 for the battery from Costco.
If the specs of that battery differ from what you had it may not last long. Tesla adjusts the charging profile in the car when they change the battery.

The original battery is a group size 51R, and it does match the common dimensions of 51R. The "R" indicates what side the + and - post is in, and it definitely is an "R" because it has the positive post on the right side when the posts are closer to the front of the battery (the battery is installed in the Tesla with the posts closer to the firewall). I have also measured the battery and it matches the 51R dimensions BCI Battery Group Size Chart.

As for the capacity, that will vary by the battery design and plate thickness. Thicker plates have lower cranking amp capacities, but will last longer.
I get that, but look at the pic of the battery that was replaced. It's not an "R"- the posts are toward the front with the + to the passenger side. The replacement 51R is opposite (correct). And the width is less than the "R."

I just found it interesting that the battery was different than a 51R is all.

I get that, but look at the pic of the battery that was replaced. It's not an "R"- the posts are toward the front with the + to the passenger side. The replacement 51R is opposite (correct). And the width is less than the "R."

I just found it interesting that the battery was different than a 51R is all.
I see what you mean, the original battery in his picture is not an "R". Which is fine as long as the battery cables are long enough to reach a few inches more than the usual spot. What is really interesting, and I hadn't noticed until you pointed this out, is that his old battery is an OEM Tesla battery with the -C revision. I have never seen nor heard of a -C revision, and it hasn't shown up in the Electronic Parts Catalog. My early 2018 Model 3 has an -A revision, and all Model 3 after April 2018 had a -B revision up until Tesla replaced the lead acid with a lithium ion battery. The parts catalog still shows the current replacement battery as "1129182-00-B". I looked up OP's battery part number "1046200-10-C" and it is actually a Model X battery! So someone has replaced it before with a battery for a Model X :D.

Reactions: medphys3
Meh. I like working on cars, if you can call a battery swap work lol. Took 5 minutes to swap, 5 minutes to reboot.

And I figure it helps free up the mobile techs for others.

$118 for the battery from Costco.
Last people mentioned it, the OEM battery is $85 only and has the vent port for the hose connection. Does Costco sell the same part with vent port or did you just get a generic one without a hose connection? At that price it's unlikely to be a AGM.

Good to know. Thanks for the info.
As long as your replacement battery is a group size 51R (or 51 also works), then it will have the correct capacity. The Tesla Owner's Manual states that the battery should be between at least 33 Ah (Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla), which all the aftermarket 51Rs that I have seen beat by a good margin. I don't know what process you went through to replace it, but unplugging the connector under the rear seat and unplugging the 12v battery will reset the system so you don't have to worry about it tracking the capacity wrong. You can find the procedure to replace the battery by scrolling down here Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla. The only thing I would worry about is that most likely the aftermarket battery you purchased is not sealed and vented through a port that the vent hose connects to, so any gasses released during charging will likely collect under the frunk and can cause corrosion on the battery terminals or other parts. By the way, the Tesla OEM battery is not likely an AGM battery. I believe it is just a regular flooded lead acid with a vent port.

Reactions: medphys3
1) Interstate battery without a vent port. I'll definitely keep an eye on the connections.

2) Odd that someone installed a Model X battery lol. I got it from Carvana- it's possible that they did it.

3) Yes I did a hard reboot after the install. Also put it on the charger for about an hour to make sure it was fully charged prior to installing.

Thanks everyone for the conversation. I like putting this stuff in open forums with the hope that others can benefit.