Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100% range on new Model Y LR with 3 miles on it calculates to 301 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hooked up Tesla Spy the other day and it appears that Tesla started the BMS off with a 79.6 Nominal Full Pack. I understand the Energy buffer of 3.58 but this Nominal Full Pack is low for a car just off the line. This would also make since because of all the TeslaFi data showing all the 2024 Model Y's sitting either 283-285 20" or 300-303 19". Maybe Tesla has down a 2.5 ish kWh soft cap stop people from complaining about random degrade.

As of this morning with a 80% charge Tesla Spy is showing the below numbers:

Nominal Full Pack 79.6 kWh
Nominal remain 64.3 kWh (80%)
Energy buffer 3.58 kWh
Usable 60.7 kWh
Full pack when new 82.1 kWh.
It's really strange that they wouldn't ensure the BMS is calibrated to show 310 miles (EPA range) on the main mileage on delivery vehicles, leaving us to wonder if there is already something wrong with the battery. My 2018 Model 3 was 6 months old and had 4600 miles on it and still showed the estimated EPA range at the time. Seeing the lower number was definitely unsettling.

It's really strange that they wouldn't ensure the BMS is calibrated to show 310 miles (EPA range) on the main mileage on delivery vehicles, leaving us to wonder if there is already something wrong with the battery. My 2018 Model 3 was 6 months old and had 4600 miles on it and still showed the estimated EPA range at the time. Seeing the lower number was definitely unsettling.
It’s odd but has happened in the past on occasion. They will probably fix it when they get around to it. Too busy working on fart noises for FSD Supervised probably at the moment.

CoolBuddy,

I don't believe this is an issue with the BMS but actually is intended. On TelsaFi i'm seeing over 50 different 2024 Model Y's showing only two different Range Brackets.

Reactions: CoolBuddy
What do mean range brackets and what exactly are you seeing?
In TeslaFi when looking at Battery Report is allows the user to look at all the Fleet Battery Data that it's using to compare your car with others. When comparing the 70 plus other cars that I can see with the same range (1800 ish) there is two distinct ranges that all the cars fall into. About 15 cars by Vin are showing between 283-285 and all the other by Vin showing between 300-303 Estimated Range at 100% This is just showing 2024 Model Y's.

Once again the range isn't bothering me it's just an interesting fact that I'm seeing.

Reactions: CoolBuddy
you will discover that charging the car to 80% while traveling is much more satisfying that charging to 100%.

I have done two NJ-FLA round-trips now.
The charging time for going from 5% to 80% is the
same as charging from 80% to 100%.

It is simply not worth my time waiting for the car to charge above 80% at a supercharger
unless I am eating a nice relaxing lunch/dinner.

Reactions: E90alex
In TeslaFi when looking at Battery Report is allows the user to look at all the Fleet Battery Data that it's using to compare your car with others. When comparing the 70 plus other cars that I can see with the same range (1800 ish) there is two distinct ranges that all the cars fall into. About 15 cars by Vin are showing between 283-285 and all the other by Vin showing between 300-303 Estimated Range at 100% This is just showing 2024 Model Y's.

Once again the range isn't bothering me it's just an interesting fact that I'm seeing.
Presumably this is Performance and AWD. If so, interesting that Performance is reading too high.

In any case people should just look at the energy. It would be nice if TeslaFi after years of doing this would do the same and fix their obvious data integrity issues.

These vehicles have the same approximate initial energy. Regardless of the readings.

Last edited:
you will discover that charging the car to 80% while traveling is much more satisfying that charging to 100%.

I have done two NJ-FLA round-trips now.
The charging time for going from 5% to 80% is the
same as charging from 80% to 100%.

It is simply not worth my time waiting for the car to charge above 80% at a supercharger
unless I am eating a nice relaxing lunch/dinner.
And usually charging to 100% is not enough to skip a charging stop anyways so you’re just wasting more time to not save any time down the road.

Presumably this is Performance and AWD. If so, interesting that Performance is reading too high.

In any case people should just look at the energy. It would be nice if TeslaFi after years of doing this would do the same and fix their obvious data integrity issues.
My car isn't the Performance it's the LR with 20" wheels, also I think that the Performance is at 279 Range now.

My car isn't the Performance it's the LR with 20" wheels, also I think that the Performance is at 279 Range now.
Right. But yours shows what? I would expect it should show EPA. (Well, the incorrect EPA - 304 miles…because it is incorrect at the moment)

At the end of the day, just look at the energy the car reports as available at 100% charge (or projected to that).

Yes, as I said, the Performance doesn’t match. Just have to look at the energy. It should be the same, or at least similar (maybe it will be 80.6kWh or whatever).

Right. But yours shows what? I would expect it should show EPA. (Well, the incorrect EPA - 304 miles…because it is incorrect at the moment)

At the end of the day, just look at the energy the car reports as available at 100% charge (or projected to that).

Yes, as I said, the Performance doesn’t match. Just have to look at the energy. It should be the same, or at least similar (maybe it will be 80.6kWh or whatever).
My 2024 LR with 20" is showing 284 mile Rated. A few posts back I put in what Tesla Spy was showing. Currently I'm not seeing any Model Y's with a Rated Range of 294 miles or close on Tesla FI.

Here are the cars closes to mine in Tesla Fi right now. The one car showing 356.24 looks to be hold over data from what appears to be a Model S and the data hasn't been removed from Tesla Fi yet.

Screenshot 2024-04-05 171411.png

My 2024 LR with 20" is showing 284 mile Rated. A few posts back I put in what Tesla Spy was showing. Currently I'm not seeing any Model Y's with a Rated Range of 294 miles or close on Tesla FI.
Oh yeah I remember now. I assume your energy screen looks fine, matches Tesla Spy roughly, and if you change to smallest wheels your range goes up?

Anyway this is why it would be nice for TeslaFi to just derive energy value. They could do it.

Oh yeah I remember now. I assume your energy screen looks fine, matches Tesla Spy roughly, and if you change to smallest wheels your range goes up?

Anyway this is why it would be nice for TeslaFi to just derive energy value. They could do it.
Yes if I changes my wheels to 19" it takes a restart but the range goes to 302 or so.

Does TeslaFI have access to Nominal Full Pack within the API or is just pulling Rated Range. If they do have access to it then that would be a way better way to show it's users how they stand with other cars besides Rated Range.

Here are the cars closes to mine in Tesla Fi right now. The one car showing 356.24 looks to be hold over data from what appears to be a Model S and the data hasn't been removed from Tesla Fi yet.

View attachment 1035996
I supercharged once to 100% to see if it would adjust my range up and now I've lost 3 miles of range, except for the charge to 70%. That one increased my range. The mystery of the BMS....

1712360930055.png

I supercharged once to 100% to see if it would adjust my range up and now I've lost 3 miles of range, except for the charge to 70%. That one increased my range. The mystery of the BMS....

View attachment 1036032
If you don’t have the CAN bus reader I would just use the energy screen to estimate. It should be the same as TeslaFi but who knows what they are doing. Better to just go straight to the source - the car. You can get fractional SOC % now too, on one of the other energy screen pages, to improve accuracy at lower SOC (I have not checked to see whether this actually works well to get an extra significant digit).

View attachment 1036032
CoolBuddy,

The "3 mile Range lost" isn't really a lost but a BMS Calculation issue I suspect if you were to pull Tesla Spy data like I'm showing that your numbers would be about the same. Unless you need to charge to 100% for a trip I don't suggest trying to do it just to see what the car is going to read. It's really a waste of time and Tesla FI is pulling the data for you straight from the BMS.