Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100,000+ Mile Club

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
173 at 90%, 191 at 100%. usually it would go to 192 at 100%, but looks like this time a little lower. Sometimes if I charge it to a 100% a couple of times, it goes up a little.
192 this time.

Attachments

• 545B264B-BF77-4FB9-B5EF-DC36832A17A7.jpeg
    545B264B-BF77-4FB9-B5EF-DC36832A17A7.jpeg
    353.2 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: scole04 and nwdiver
At 129,XXX looks like I'm in for my first major repair post warranty. My center screen is rebooting constantly, about every 30 seconds. When it is on momentarily it is functional, but only stays on for a few seconds before rebooting again. My service center says I require a replacement MCU.

The MCU replacement includes a screen since they are supposedly a unit. Serenity goes in Thursday for surgery if nothing else can be done. This will cost approximately $2k. I'm still in far less than if I had bought an extended warranty and will pay no deductible.

Flame suit on...

At 129,XXX looks like I'm in for my first major repair post warranty. My center screen is rebooting constantly, about every 30 seconds. When it is on momentarily it is functional, but only stays on for a few seconds before rebooting again. My service center says I require a replacement MCU.

The MCU replacement includes a screen since they are supposedly a unit. Serenity goes in Thursday for surgery if nothing else can be done. This will cost approximately $2k. I'm still in far less than if I had bought an extended warranty and will pay no deductible.

Flame suit on...
And your extended warranty would be expired by now anyway.

I made it through 100,000 with about $800 in repairs, so I ended up saving a very significant amount of money by not purchasing the extended warranty.

Reactions: FlyinLow

Flame suit on...

$2K is better than I expected. Let us know if the final result is different.

I am curious if with this replacement MCU you get upgraded to the faster processor and LTE connection. If so, almost worth it.

$2K is better than I expected. Let us know if the final result is different.

I am curious if with this replacement MCU you get upgraded to the faster processor and LTE connection. If so, almost worth it.

After searching here I've seen reports of $2300 ish costs after it is all said and done. I'll report back when its finished with the end result.

I've got the LTE connection already, so I'm assuming the new MCU will have that built in already, but you know what happens when we assume...

The service technician confirmed when I asked about the faster MCU. I get a replacement for the old one as long as they are in stock. When the old ones are gone then replacements will happen with the new one. There's a rumor that the wire harnesses are different, so that could be an issue as well.

The adventure continues. Still no regrets from me. Just posting to share my experience and data as I go.

Reactions: glhs272
Buena Park service center quoted me $2900 for the MCU replacement plus $500 for the LTE 4G update which they are forcing on me as well. (The 3G MCUs are not available any more). If anyone gets a 4G MCU replacement for less than $3400 please let me know where! Unfortunately I have heard different prices for the exact same service/parts a few times and I find that frustrating.

All I have to say is that the Wexford Tesla Service Center is first class. I feel like I got taken care of above and beyond my expectations.

I respectfully asked my service technician to look into the latest software update and possible causes for my center screen and MCU acting the way it has.

After all was said and done I got a pleasant test drive (loaner) Model X 90D and a replacement MCU, screen, handshake and a smile. Tesla determined there should be no cost.

Thank you to the superb Team at the Wexford PA Tesla Service Center!

Reactions: JHawk and Don TLR
Hopefully not a dumb question, but is a MCU change like this something one can do by themselves if they area able to order the parts or get them second hand? I have been working on cars my whole life and like to think I’m pretty savy at fixing things. But that being said I figure there are complications possibly like assigning the LTE or 3G chip and getting it started and booted etc.....
Just curious.
Someday when I’m out of warranty I plan on doing all the repairs possible myself and not purchasing the extended warranty.

Hopefully not a dumb question, but is a MCU change like this something one can do by themselves if they area able to order the parts or get them second hand? I have been working on cars my whole life and like to think I’m pretty savy at fixing things. But that being said I figure there are complications possibly like assigning the LTE or 3G chip and getting it started and booted etc.....
Just curious.
Someday when I’m out of warranty I plan on doing all the repairs possible myself and not purchasing the extended warranty.

I haven't had it done myself, but in speaking to one of the mobile service technicians at a supercharger, he said it takes a couple of hours for him to change out an MCU. Most of the time is loading the software from their service laptop. I would think that might be the biggest hiccup for a DIYer like yourself, if the software piece. You may not be able to get the software to load on the MCU itself, and I'm sure they have custom scripts that run, just like any computer, that configures it to the car.

I'm curious to know if you find out anything different! Good luck!

Hopefully not a dumb question, but is a MCU change like this something one can do by themselves...

It seems that the MCU is the main gateway to vehicle communication with Tesla. It looks like Tesla may refuse to acknowledge the car and prohibit supercharging as well as software updates if major maintenance is done by a private party.

Consider results by RichRebuilds and his otherwise functional car needing “recertification” before it would be allowed on the Tesla network.

Last edited:
Not sure if there is a thread for owners who are over 100,000 miles on their Model S. Here are my model S details.
Model S 85 with 19 inch tires. Delivery on December 31, 2012. Bought Extended Warranty. Current miles: 101,169.
Regular service as per Tesla at every 12,500 Miles. On third set of tires. Drive unit replaced around 67,000+ miles.
Battery was repaired for contactors @ 75,000 Miles Service. Two door handles were replaced. Other small items
were serviced or replaced free of cost so far. Little concerned now because of out of warranty. Current drive
makes high pitching noise and a replacement is on order as per the service center.

Any owners out of warranty please share your experiences.

Were the contactors replaced under warranty and if so was it the 8 year warranty or did you have the ESA and have to pay $200?