Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Treaty of Vaals: Charging in 7 countries

Treaty of Vaals: Charging in 7 countries

European EV owners from 7 countries (Ireland, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria and Portugal) can now charge in all those seven countries using the RFID card from their own country.

EU Sport 359 & S94
    Very good news, thanks for sharing!

Head Moderator / Administrator doug's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Adm View Post
    European EV owners from 7 countries (Ireland, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria and Portugal) can now charge in all those seven countries using the RFID card from their own country.
    Do you need a special RFID card to fill-up your ICE vehicle? I think they should all just take a credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    Do you need a special RFID card to fill-up your ICE vehicle? I think they should all just take a credit card.
    I'm not so sure. My ChargePoint card is slightly faster and more convenient, and I'd worry that chargers in slightly more isolated locations (not obviously under constant surveillance) might be more subject to skimming setups. Especially here in the US where we're still using antiquated swipe-only cards.

I'm not sold on the RFID for credit cards. We got one and it was scammed in Disneyland (CA) while my wife was there the first week we had it.
    SP-2823(sold), Tesla/Rav4EV, P+17252, XP-12

I like the idea of a charge RFID. It will take a couple of weeks of continuous charging before that adds up in case they skim it.

Head Moderator / Administrator doug's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My point is that there should at least be a pay on site option without having to join a bunch of subscription schemes. One benefit of using a credit card is that there is a layer of fraud protection (assuming you're with a good credit provider).

Credit cards are not as widely used in Europe as they are in the USA. We have bank card (debit card?), but those do not necessarily work all over Europe and usually have relative high transaction fees when used abroad.
    The fact that you can use one card in 7 different European countries this early on is encouraging.

EU Sport 359 & S94
    I read in an article from E-laad.nl that adding a pay on site option would add a cost of around Eur 1000,- to the charging unit.
    Also the transaction costs would be 5-6 times higher, then post paid, every month.

I just received my RFID charge card from thenewmotion.nl, the card itself is free, no monthly costs, just Eur 1 per hour of charging, very reasonable.

Thread Information