View Poll Results: Did you know that you must keep your battery charged? (anonymous)

Voters
243. You may not vote on this poll
  • I own an EV and know that I must keep it charged

125 51.44%
  • I own an EV but it wasn't made clear to me that I must keep it from being discharged

2 0.82%
  • I don't own an EV but knew that you had to keep the battery from going flat

94 38.68%
  • I don't own an EV and didn't know that you needed to keep them charged

22 9.05%
Page 25 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you know that you must keep your battery charged?

Blog Entries
    Tesla's battery monitoring system requires some power in order to keep the batteries safe and stable.

Normal drain is less than 1% a day.

Anyone who bricks their battery is being seriously stupid, especially given the warnings in the user manual and the warnings you are given when you buy the car.

Only the first 500 Roadsters were built without a GSM modem. All the other cars have the ability to communicate to Tesla, and someone at Tesla can ( and I am sure does ) attempt to contact the owner if the battery gets dangerously low.
    Every Model S and X and future car will have this built in, and undoubtedly they will alert both the owner and Tesla.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_G View Post
    Tesla's battery monitoring system requires some power in order to keep the batteries safe and stable.

Normal drain is less than 1% a day.

Anyone who bricks their battery is being seriously stupid, especially given the warnings in the user manual and the warnings you are given when you buy the car.
    Lets say its all the monitoring system and none self discharge. One of the functions of the monitoring system is to circulate coolant and keep the batteries safe.
    Does anyone think they are going to put in some way to turn it off so that you can instead have the risk that the batteries cause a fire?
    They chose the correct path, everyone would choose a dead battery over a fire.
    Every owner is told when they buy the car that you must not let it discharge all the way, its not a significant hardship.

The bricked battery in Japan was a used Roadster that somebody bought in the US and had shipped over here by boat. The car spent a couple of months at sea and likely some time in storage here before he was able to take delivery. Other than that there have been no bricking incidents here despite at least a couple of times drivers have depleted their charge while driving. Batteries were saved in those cases.

Quote Originally Posted by donauker View Post
    It appears that everyone would expect to be able to park their vehicle safely for some number of weeks.
    "neglect duration anxiety"
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert.Boston View Post
    My comment on Green Car Reports:

How many "middle-class families" leave a car idle for months on end?

Is it reasonable to expect that you can simply ignore a manufacturer's instructions on safe operation of a product and then, after destroying the product through irresponsible abuse, ask the manufacturer to pay for your folly?

I have zero sympathy with this guy, too feckless to follow basic instructions on the care of an expensive item, and too quick to cry "victim" rather than fess up to his own stupidity.

Why can't people own up to their own mistakes, instead of finding someone else to blame?
    Quote Originally Posted by qwk View Post
    This is pretty much how I feel. Nobody seems to want to take responsibility for their actions anymore.
    We're about 3 sentences from a deep sociological and political debate on this one. It starts with "entitlement culture with no personal responsibility".
    Last edited by brianman; 2012-02-23 at 12:01 AM.

4.) Besides alerting Tesla of a low-battery condition, so that they may then alert you, there could and should be a way to alert the owner directly via Text Message, Email, Phone Call, or Push Notification directly to the Tesla App.[/QUOTE]

Just this (a little off topic, ev. covered in the previous pages): Last summer i had a battery warning (after driving 270km on a very hot day). i charged, let the roadster (2.0) sit in the garage, next morning it behaved fine. at 9 am the TM tech called, to say they saw i got the warning message and would like to fix the problem. same day they fetched the car, after 4 days i had it back at no cost (they had to replace the coolant ). I am very happy to have GSM enabled all the time and how TM addresses safety issues and customer satisfaction.
    So my conclusion: RFM, have GSM enabled and you will be fine. Personally i never ever owned a more reliable car with that much fun factor.

Re: leaving the car at the airport - doesn't LAX have a lot of EVSEs (for example)?

#electric#car#ev Who killed the electric car? You, perhaps, if you didn't charge it - News.com.au | News Online from Australia and the World | NewsComAu http://t.co/68jTkjxu -- GreenCarMag (@GreenCarMag)

Quote Originally Posted by dpeilow View Post
    I think this reinforces the need for some kind of smartphone app.We know there is a data link from the car to Tesla's servers. They need an app or SMS service that says "your battery will be irreversibly trashed if you don't plug in within 2 hours" or whatever.
    And perhaps a horn honk headlight flash. Or some less obnoxious beeping from the car. A big readout in the car screen so passerby-ers like garage attendants and house sitters can contact owner. Screen could show a phone number and "Trashed" message.
    Last edited by vfx; 2012-02-23 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dpeilow View Post
    Re: leaving the car at the airport - doesn't LAX have a lot of EVSEs (for example)?
    LAX is going through some EVSE pains. The few sites are either old or filled with Leafs and Volts (Roasters are not practical for luggage anyway) . There is movement afoot to try to get a lot (100) of 110v plugs instead.

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Hopefully all of the negative press does some good. Tesla has a 6 month lead to come up with better wording on the battery care contract owners sign. No major design changes can be done of course but any software changes, warnings...etc that can be done to make this rare event even less likely can be worked on. Again, to any reservation holders worried about this, you know that this problem is exceedingly rare and can be easily avoided. If you don't have a place to charge at the airport that's 100 miles away and you're going to be gone for 2 months on vacation, maybe hire a car service (a minimal cost considering how much 2 months of long term parking costs at most airports) and leave your EV at home happy in storage mode.

If you're going on deployment in the military, hopefully Tesla will offer some special service that allows them to monitor the car for you if you have no internet access and with your permission, send out a Tesla Ranger to check on your car if there is a charging error (or Tesla could contact someone you designate to do this). I think that would be a great service and could be something Tesla offers as a paid 'insurance' policy for everyone else.

Thread Information