Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVNow

Sep 5, 2009
Seattle, WA
Here is my updated EV/PHEV specs/dimensions chart. I've used the picture in the Model X Tesla page to get relative size of X using known height of S.

ev-specs.png

Will the EPA range for the S and X really be as low as you're estimating? I was under the impression that the 85-kWh S, though heavier, would have a longer range than the 56-kWh Roadster...

Also, the torque (and perhaps HP) for the X with AWD goes up by 1.5x, not 2x...

The Leaf gets 70% range because Nissan Uses a L4A cycle that has a median speed of ~20 mph, while Tesla uses 55mph test cycle. Look at the Tesla Roadster forums for real world range.
No - Leaf has 100 miles in combined EPA cycle - before applying the 30% adjustment. See EPA FOIA documents posted in MNL.

BTW, the Model X reveal apparently had mixed driving numbers for S - 128, 180 & 244. So, close to 20% adjustment.

0000020412-X3-Screens.jpg

If Tom Sax's number of 85 miles is correct for the Leaf as equivalent to how the Roadster is measured, then the percentage to subtract would be about 14% (0.86x), so the Roadster would have about 210. (Which I think is about the value used in the UK). That might be a bit different for the Model S, but in case a similar number would be used, it would be about 260 miles. (There was also talk the range might be slightly more than 300 miles by its current measurement: @55mph). That would be much more than the 210 in the table above.

Whatever the EPA says the range is, I hope Tesla advertises something closer to what most of their customers will get or qualify it with the @55 mph statement. Providing a link to a webpage with that mileage estimator they had at the event would be great. Be as transparent as possible when it comes to range, something a traditional manufacturer doesn't have to do as filling up at a gas station takes care of any range issues.

Any futher details on that ? The language of mixed driving etc makes me feel this is the range Tesla expects to get from EPA.

For eg. I'd expect to get nearly 73 miles in Leaf at highway speeds.

Energy Efficiency of Tesla Electric Vehicles | Tesla Motors

I looked at this graph, and some derived from that graph, my driving habits and the EPA numbers on my car. I am expecting 112/168/210 ranges with their batteries. That is Highway at 80mph, AC, and a few 0-40mph at stop lights.

I expect I could stretch the mileage to the Tesla numbers fairly easily. Driving 50-60 on the interstate, gentle starting, and as much regen as I can manage.

I basically took Tesla's numbers and multiplied by .7. It helped that the Leaf's real world vs. their stated range was roughly this ratio also.