Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S did not win Green Car Vision Award

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GCJ's decision will likely not sit well with our readers, who overwhelmingly picked the Tesla Model S to win this year. Our unscientific poll had the Model S winning with 83.6 percent of the vote, followed by the BMW i3, (6.5 percent), the Cadillac ELR (5 percent), C-MAX (2.9 percent) with the Mercedes-Benz B-Class F-Cell picking just 1.9 percent to take up the bottomw spot out of the five nominees.

That certainly raises a really huge question, which they leave completely unanswered.

Since they picked the one with 2.9% public support, obviously they respect their own opinions FAR more than anyone else's.

Last edited:
I simply fail to see how Ford's version of the Volt is "visionary." GCJ has lost some credibility here.

The only thing that I will give them is that the Ford is cheaper. That said, I still cannot see how it's more visionary than the Model S.

#epicfail

Giving recommendations/awards to paid sponsors is commonly done in audio magazines. There are some really good audio companies that never receive recognition due to their lack of advertising. There is a axiom among audio buffs that "the more a company advertises a product, the worst sounding the product." The reason being money allocated to advertisement could have been put into R & D. It doesn't surprise me Ford won and Tesla did not; follow the money.

I could not find an explanation as to how it won given the high percentage for Model S.

The survey results was an Autobloggreen poll about who should win.

The actual award is given by Green Car Journal:
http://www.greencar.com/articles/2012-green-car-vision-award-finalists-all-electric-drive.php

So the results of the ABG poll was not even a factor at all in the vision award.

Personally, I would have been satisfied even if the i3 won (because of the innovation of using composites and a skateboard design similar to the Model S, plus it should be affordable). I don't think the Energi is really that innovative (very similar to the PIP, except with the Prius V body style).

Last edited:
Ford C-Max Energi wins 2012 Green Car Vision Award

I don't know how 12 cubic feet and 20 miles of plug in has more utility than 36.8 cubic feet and 300 miles
May be because 300 mile S is probably twice the price of Energi ? ;)

Anyway, I don't think the "vision" is really about just some stats. Outside of BEV, Ford does have a decent vision - they have created hybrid & PHEV drivetrains that will go into multiple platforms (starting with C-Max & Fusion).

Ofcourse, so do BMW & Tesla. Their own visions for their BEVs is quite good.

We will have to wait for GCJ to tell us why they chose one over the other.

My issue is that their vision is outdated. It's a plug in hybrid with a limited range. My neighbor has a Prius which is converted to be a plug in. I think the conversion cost him around 10K. I think he said he gets around 100 mpg.
Their visions are hybrids with plugs, and quite frankly, I would expect that in 2005, not 2012. Prius started it and continues to this day.

My point is that they awarded the weakest competitor (across the board in all categories, performance, cargo room, number of passengers, and efficiency) the award.

There are two good points- expected price (but that's unknown and rumors), and range , but who drives over 300 miles/day without a bathroom or food break?

I'm calling shenanigans on this. I wonder how much Ford paid to win the award?

I agree- have no respect for the judges who awarded the green car award this year

Reading the comment by citizen-t about the poll, I wanted to remind people here that the Autobloggreen poll had NOTHING to do with Green Car Journal (the journal which presented the award).

And given there doesn't seem to be many other commenters, I think it is wise not to post too many scathing comments. I don't want it to reflect badly on the Tesla community (and it's not like such comments will change the results).