Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Options Packages: Your choices?

What options will you purchase?

• Metallic/Pearl Paint

Votes: 66 66.0%
  • Pano Roof

Votes: 65 65.0%
  • 19" Aero Wheels

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • 21" Wheels

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Leather Seats

Votes: 73 73.0%
  • Tech Package

Votes: 82 82.0%
  • Sound Studio

Votes: 55 55.0%
  • Air Suspension

Votes: 75 75.0%
  • Rear-facing Seats

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • Twin Chargers

Votes: 36 36.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally, I want the plain brown standard car, with "Signature" on the back, but nothing special, with tan leather. I want the sport option, but no carbon fiber, no fancy marking. I want people to think, "Oh, look, it's just a plain Tesla", sort of like when my brother bought his first Toyota Corona and stuck the 350 chevy v8 into it. Only the motorcycle exhaust pipes gave it away, but that was after the race started. Otherwise, some would get the standard and then aftermarket the carbon fiber accents. I won't need accents to spell performance. So far, I can't believe Tesla would insist you can only get a Sig in 4 colors.

Paint on a brand new car line is extremely challenging. Even with limited options it will be a challenge. Fisker has had numerous delays and problems from the paint side of things. I think Tesla felt forced to limit the colors in the beginning of production. I bet that even if you have an 85kWh early production model, you'll get it faster if you've selected the black, silver, or pearl white. But I could be wrong.

My understanding is that the badging of the performance package was a long and intense decision process. Some, like you, wanted a "stealth" performance car. Others wanted the badging like AMG or M to show off the sportiness without having to risk a ticket.

Personally, I love the carbon fiber accents and I hope the letters SPORT show up in the badging, at least on the back. But that's me.

I was #2 for the rear facing seats. I have 3 young kids with lots of friends and carpools and whatnot. Those extra 2 seats are huge for me. With all of the storage space, it's the best equivalent to a minivan, although about a million times cooler!
I have 3 kids too, but by the time I have my Model S my daughter will be 8 and she's as big as most 10 year olds already. My boys will be 13 and way too big for the jump seats. I think the opportunities to use the seats will be few and far between and I can make better use of the extra space.

I have 3 kids too, but by the time I have my Model S my daughter will be 8 and she's as big as most 10 year olds already. My boys will be 13 and way too big for the jump seats. I think the opportunities to use the seats will be few and far between and I can make better use of the extra space.

It's definitely a niche option for a segment of people with YOUNG kids. My kids ages range from 10 to 4, and aren't particularly big for their ages, so I figure I've got at least 5 years where they'll be extremely useful. Plus, I've got nieces and nephews younger than my kids, so those seats will be used for many years. For those who need it, it's a fantastic option to offer and made the buying decision much easier, even though it's a pretty small window of time that one needs those child seats. I for one am grateful Elon had so many young kids because I'm sure that's what pushed him to put those seats back there, and make them the safest seats in the car.

My personal experience backs up every word you write. We bought the extra seats in my wife's Mountaineer for all the reasons people quote (school runs, car pooling, kids, sports etc. etc.) and in reality I think we used them maybe twice in the last 4 years.

My personal experience backs up every word you write. We bought the extra seats in my wife's Mountaineer for all the reasons people quote (school runs, car pooling, kids, sports etc. etc.) and in reality I think we used them maybe twice in the last 4 years.
My wife's Highlander Hybrid has a little jump seat for the 3rd row and about once or twice a month we wedge a kid or two back there when we need to carry an extra adult or two on a short drive and don't want to take 2 vehicles. But there's no way a kid could survive along trip back there--their knees knock their chins about every bump! If my kids were 4-5 years younger I probably would get the jump set just to have for those sorts of occasions, but the reality now is I'd pull the thing out and then have to store it somewhere and never use it.

In that case it's probably not worth the loss of space in the rear. For my family, my wife has had a car with three rows for the past several years (currently a Mercedes GL), and we use the third row at least once a month. That might not sound like much, but the convenience of having that third row when you need it is invaluable for a family with young kids.

I also have a friend who has a regular reservation who has four kids (ages 11, 9, 7 and 5) who is extremely excited to have those extra seats in the back so he doesn't need to take his wife's hulking SUV everywhere when the whole family is together, even for a 5 minute drive.