Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Roof Box are you using with Whispbar?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a quick search and this doesn't seem to be getting talked about.

Which boxes are the ski/snowboard/camping/traveling crowd using??

We have a Boston to Topsail Island, NC trip coming this summer and I'm starting my research early. ;-)

I have a Skybox Peo 16 (I think that's what it's called). it fits on the car but I have to set the auto trunk not to open all the way. Also, there's a pretty wicked angle on the box because the rear bar is lower than the front bar.

IMG_7576.jpg

We use a Yakima Skybox 21. No problems whatsoever. I love it for big trips. We can very easily do 5-person ski days with all of everyone's gear and a good deal of room to spare.

Lyon makes a good point about adjusting the max liftgate height. This did not cross my mind because we already have it limited for our garage, but definitely something to look out for.

Some more details in this thread: Anyone use the Whispbar cargo box?

We use a Yakima Skybox 21. No problems whatsoever. I love it for big trips. We can very easily do 5-person ski days with all of everyone's gear and a good deal of room to spare.

Lyon makes a good point about adjusting the max liftgate height. This did not cross my mind because we already have it limited for our garage, but definitely something to look out for.

Some more details in this thread: Anyone use the Whispbar cargo box?

Does your's have as much crazy angle as mine? It just seems like it sticks up so much in the front.

I have the Whispbar 701 box and it sits reasonably level, doesn't interfere with the hatch.

That's awesome! Finally found someone with the whispbar box! I don't suppose you'd be willing to take some wider shots so we can see the whole car with the box on top? Any information on extra consumption? Wind noise?

Sorry, I've been dying to ask someone who has one of these a whole host of questions.

That's awesome! Finally found someone with the whispbar box! I don't suppose you'd be willing to take some, wider shots so we can see the whole car with the box on top? Any information on extra consumption? Wind noise?

Sorry, I've been dying to ask someone who has one of these a whole host of questions.

I just ran out to the garage and snapped a quickie, I can get a better one tomorrow. The wind noise is definitely noticeable, no obnoxious whistles but definite turbulence. Under normal conditions (dry, calm 70mph) where I would run 300Whr/mile I get 350 with the box but the effect is greatly amplified by unfavorable conditions. Last week going to eugene on I5, hard rain, 20mph headwind I was at nearly 500. I did a run to Bachelor three weeks ago and CHAdeMOed (is that a word?) at Sisters each way, about 20 miniues going and 45 minutes returning.

I just ran out to the garage and snapped a quickie, I can get a better one tomorrow. The wind noise is definitely noticeable, no obnoxious whistles but definite turbulence. Under normal conditions (dry, calm 70mph) where I would run 300Whr/mile I get 350 with the box but the effect is greatly amplified by unfavorable conditions. Last week going to eugene on I5, hard rain, 20mph headwind I was at nearly 500. I did a run to Bachelor three weeks ago and CHAdeMOed (is that a word?) at Sisters each way, about 20 miniues going and 45 minutes returning.

I guess mine's not too much worse. I did a trip to Bachelor and back earlier in the year with my box. I don't remember exactly but I think I drove around 60mph over hwy 58 from Eugene to Mt. Bachelor. Then a brief charge in Sunriver at an 80amp/240volt and then an hour at the CHAdeMO in Sisters. Round trip was 320 miles and I used 357 Wh/mi. The road was packed snow, made me wish I had a dual motor.

That's fantastic! Could one get a set of 180cm in there?

Easily, maybe up to 200's. Here's a front view, notice how the "box" is rounded across the top which doesn't really allow for boxy type loads like luggage. Actually because of the curved shape in both directions it doesn't make for a lot of usable internal volume. Because of this, and the expense , I'm not sure I would recommend it to someone else but it works well for us and, for a roof box, it does look good.

20160217_193257.jpg

Easily, maybe up to 200's. Here's a front view, notice how the "box" is rounded across the top which doesn't really allow for boxy type loads like luggage. Actually because of the curved shape in both directions it doesn't make for a lot of usable internal volume. Because of this, and the expense , I'm not sure I would recommend it to someone else but it works well for us and, for a roof box, it does look good.

Thanks for all the info and pictures! If I didn't already own a perfectly serviceable box I'd buy it in a heartbeat even though it's double what all the others cost. I only use the thing to transport ski gear and I remove it between ski trips.

I think Tesla may have changed the mounts for the whispbars at some point and I think the newer ones may not have as big a difference in height between front and rear. I guess I'd probably have to measure each bar to the ground (and then take the difference) on mine and then find a new one to measure to be sure.

Epic Fail.

The Whispbar WB700 does not fit the 2015 new pano roof Whispbar Flush roof racks.

I suspected as much, and wrote to Yakima/Whispbar support before my purchase a few weeks ago. They assured me it would fit.

At the most forward position on the front "locks" of the cargo carrier, the back shape ends up on top of the rack instead of behind it.

I will return it tomorrow and order a WB701B instead.

I love the size of the WB700 and only hope the WB701 won't look too big.

IMG_2582.jpg
IMG_2587.jpg
IMG_2588.jpg

Epic Fail.

The Whispbar WB700 does not fit the 2015 new pano roof Whispbar Flush roof racks.

I suspected as much, and wrote to Yakima/Whispbar support before my purchase a few weeks ago. They assured me it would fit.

At the most forward position on the front "locks" of the cargo carrier, the back shape ends up on top of the rack instead of behind it.

I will return it tomorrow and order a WB701B instead.

I love the size of the WB700 and only hope the WB701 won't look too big.

How far apart are the crossbars on the 2015 version?