Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X & Windshield Mounted Sunpass (toll payment device)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called Tesla Motors today, and technical support said the coating on the Model X front windshield won't allow the California FasTrak to work. That won't stop me from trying it next time I travel through The Toll Roads. Don't forget to check out the no monthly FasTrak transponder cost for ZEV vehicles and free and discount ZEV rates on the 91 Express Lanes. Check out the Special Access rates only available at: https://www.91expresslanes.com/signup.asp

This is the switchable carpool version mounted inside below the AP camera. The rear view mirror hides about 99% of the transponder case from the driver. If it doesn't work here, then I will mount a photocopy here for the officers to see and try the transponder in another location. Since the heavier UV coatings occur higher up in the tinted area, this area might work. The top of the windshield would completely hide the transponder from the officer's point of view. Tesla Motors said to try the rear window area. Hopefully I can provide an update soon and let you know the results.

FasTrak X.jpg

In CA: I place my FastTrak on the dash in front of the driver and a few inches away from the windshield. Works fine. Then I put it away in the center console.
Thank you for posting Ross. I just saw your comment and am encouraged with your report. The lower right and left corners are acceptable mounting locations as well. I prefer the rear view mirror area for ease of access to the 1, 2, 3 occupant switch and to hear the beep tone to verify that the transponder is working.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting Ross. I just saw your comment and am encouraged with your report. The lower right and left corners are acceptable mounting locations as well. I prefer the rear view mirror area for ease of access to the 1, 2, 3 occupant switch and to hear the beep tone to verify that the transponder is working.

The unit should be set to 3 at all times (for an electric vehicle).

The unit should be set to 3 at all times (for an electric vehicle).
I brought that subject up with OCTA today in Santa Ana when I picked up my ZEV no monthly fee transponder. They said I should check the Metro website. I have heard about the 3 occupant switch for EVs when driving Metro ExpressLanes on the 10 and 110 freeways, but I couldn't find anything on the web site earlier today.

Found it! See page 15 in the "Welcome Kit": https://www.metroexpresslanes.net/en/about/ExpressLanes_retail_welcome_kit.pdf

"I drive a CNG/Electric/Zero Emission vehicle. Do I have to pay a toll? Will I need FasTrak?

Yes, all vehicles will need a FasTrak to use the ExpressLanes. These vehicles will be charged a toll similar to all other solo drivers until February 23, 2014, at which time, these vehicles will not be charged a toll."

Let me dig a bit deeper and share what is on the Metro ExpressLanes Twitter page: "Metro ExpressLanes ‏@ExpressLanes 27 Mar 2015 Drive toll-free on ExpressLanes with a green or white Clean Air Vehicle (CAV) Decal. Transponder still required. http://t.co/8Q9e0FqDJ5 "

One reason that the CAV decals are required is this paragraph: "When traveling on the Metro ExpressLanes, a beacon light will indicate the transponder occupancy setting. The beacon light is visible to the CHP who will perform a visual verification of the vehicle occupancy and cite non-compliant drivers. In addition to the CHP, if a driver uses the Metro ExpressLanes without a valid transponder, a photo of the vehicle license plate will be taken and the registered owner of the vehicle will be issued a Notice of Toll Evasion Violation." Metro ExpressLanes

And here is the exact paragraph I was searching for: "Effective February 24, 2014, vehicles displaying a DMV issued White or Green Clean Air Vehicle Decal http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/decal.htm will be toll-free. All vehicles, including Clean Air Vehicles, are required to have a FasTrak® transponder while traveling on the ExpressLanes. To ensure toll-free travel, set your transponder to switch position 3 (3+ person carpool) prior to starting your trip. Clean energy vehicles that do not have a Clean Air Vehicle Decal must drive with their transponder set according to their vehicle occupancy." Metro ExpressLanes

(OT: There are no special EV rates when driving on The Toll Roads®: TheTollRoads.com )

Some sticky situations might be avoided after knowing instructions like this: "When using your switchable transponder on other toll facilities you will need to set the transponder switch to the Single Occupancy setting regardless of the number of vehicle occupants." Metro ExpressLanes

Last edited:
On California bridges, there is a camera that reads license plates. In our second car without the transponder I always drive through as if I had it. Then, my account gets deducted automatically. I probably won't mount my transponder at all.

I'm in the Bay Area so I'm not sure about the other toll roads.

I installed my transponder in the the nose cone, thinking that might work from what I had read. I rarely go through tolls (Golden Gate and Richmond-SR bridge only). I've never seen any indication that it actually works though. But I have my plate registered and that seems to work fine. I get charged the right amount every time I go through. I don't have a front plate and will never put one on. So the plate version isn't an option for me. It's like a pretty girl wearing braces! Does having a registered plate work on express lanes?

...Does having a registered plate work on express lanes?
Unfortunately not. FasTrak transponders are required on Metro ExpressLanes. And for free EV ExpressLanes use, mounted CAV stickers and the transponder set to "3" must be used.

The Toll Roads® allows for license plate scans, however you must have an ExpressAccount® or pay the One-Time-Toll® within 5 days unless you use the transponder. The Toll Roads - One-Time-Toll

I called Tesla Motors today, and technical support said the coating on the Model X front windshield won't allow the California FasTrak to work.
Both the Florida Sunpass and California FasTrak use RFID at 915 MHz. The Sunpass works through the windshield in Florida.

I would bet that Tesla technical support does not have the latest information on the X windshield specs and may be assuming that it is just like the S.

Both the Florida Sunpass and California FasTrak use RFID at 915 MHz. The Sunpass works through the windshield in Florida.

I would bet that Tesla technical support does not have the latest information on the X windshield specs and may be assuming that it is just like the S.
I think you are right!

I drove the 91 Express Lanes both directions on Thursday evening and the FasTrak transponder beeped indicating correct operation. Refer to the photo in the link below in regard to where I mounted mine. The glass is visually clear and the transponder is highly visible from the outside.

OT: Edit time is shorter than usual. No edit update could be made to my original post:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...s-(toll-payment-device)?p=1345037#post1345037

Last edited: